Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Coconut Milk? page

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member

Favorite Coconut Milk?

Primal Fuel
    Whats everyones favorite brand of coconut milk? I just bought So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk and I'm really not sure I like it.

Also, whats your favorite coconut milk recipes/uses?
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Arroy-d coconut milk from thailand. Chefs in thailand prefer it over other brands apparently, and you can taste the difference
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    Whats everyones favorite brand of coconut milk? I just bought So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk and I'm really not sure I like it.

Also, whats your favorite coconut milk recipes/uses?
    So delicious isn't real coconut milk - it's coconut milk VERY watered down then thickened with guar gum....but I do like it and use it for a few purposes.

I get whatever I can that's canned and organic.....or better yet, whole young coconuts. Just crack 'em open, blend the water and meat together and I have 'whole' coconut milk. Or I can run it through the juicer for real coconut milk that's just the fatty liquid and no pulp. I prefer the whole food though.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Ah! Ya know, I had a feeling this wasnt the real thing I thought it was supposed to be in a can LOL...thanks, I feel silly now.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I do use the So Delicious. It is on sale for 2.99 plus a coupon for 1.00 off so much cheaper than the can. I use both can and the So Delicious, but for my smoothies and coffee it is the cheaper stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    I do use the So Delicious. It is on sale for 2.99 plus a coupon for 1.00 off so much cheaper than the can. I use both can and the So Delicious, but for my smoothies and coffee it is the cheaper stuff.
    Do you buy the unsweetened one?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    arroy-d is only 1.29. The only ingredients are coconut milk,water, and a perservative
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

maba is offline Senior Member
    I like Thai Kitchen. But I finally found the BPA-free "Native Forest" brand 2 days ago and I made Thai red-curry with it last night. It was delicious! I use a lot of coconut in my everyday Indian cooking, expecially for veggie stir fries. The curry I made last night was super simple:

1 can coconut milk
    1-2 T Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
    Dash of fish sauce
    veggies
    shrimp/chicken (I didn't have either last night, so used LOTS of veggies)

Simmer the coconut milk on low to medium heat. Add 1 to 2 T of Thai Kitchen Red Curry paste, let it simmer for a few minutes. Add veggies (bell pepper, carrot, green beans, peas, broccoli etc), let it simmer for a few more minutes. Add fish sauce (I squirt it straight from the bottle, probably about 3/4 - 1 T) or Tamari if you don't have fish sauce handy. Add shrimp or chicken and turn of the heat when the shrimp turns pink or the chicken is cooked. You can eat it with steamed veggies or cauli-rice. I ate mine with a small amount of red rice last night. Or you can eat it plain like soup if it's not too spicy.

ETA: The only additive in the Thai Kitchen and Native Forest brands of CM is Guar Gum, used as a stabilizer/emulsifier. No preservatives are used.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I am still working through an Original jug. I bought it without looking at the ingredients. I just bought two new one in unsweetened. It has the smallest ingredient list.

I haven't seen the Arroy-d. The bought the Taste of Thai. The cheapest is 1.79 and the other go up from there. I am going to see if I buy a case if the store will give me a discount.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I buy Goya Coconut Milk (the no gums, thickeners or stabilizers variety)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast