Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drastically decreased bowel movements page

Donuts is offline Junior Member

Drastically decreased bowel movements

Shop Now
    I switched to primal a few months ago. I have had a drastic decrease in my bowel movements.

I am a 22-year-old male. I tend to eat uncured bacon, pastured eggs, and homemade, organic yogurt for breakfast; a salad consisting of organic spinach, organic red bell peppers, broccoli, organic almonds, organic grape tomatoes, and a vinaigrette (EVOO and organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar) and a hard boiled pastured egg for lunch; and a chicken breast with a slice of pepper jack cheese, baked organic butternut squash topped with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and a raw organic carrot for dinner. I drink a mug full of organic coffee every morning and a lot of water (probably close to two gallons). I am unfortunately not very active.

As my username may suggest, I love donuts, and try making them my 20% (yes, yes, I know...). Since there is so much junk in donuts, I tend to go right after eating them. Otherwise, I may go several days before having a bowel movement. Is this normal? I spoke with a few friends who are on similar diets and they suggested that since primal eliminates junk food (bread, trans fat, etc.), my body has less waste to excrete. What do you all think?

I will probably go see a doctor, but would prefer hearing some opinions first because I know my doctor will immediately tell me to eat more bread.

EDIT: One other thought I had may be stress. I am in college and have a lot of projects due dates coming up, and I am looking for a job, all of which is putting me under an extreme amount of stress. Could this be the explanation?
    Last edited by Donuts; 09-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If your donuts have baking soda in them, that might do it. I use magnesium to stay regular, as a life-long constipotato it's the only thing that works for me. I take 800mg to 1200mg per day of mag citrate.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I have been primal for over a month now and have noticed the same thing. I figured it was because my body is processing and using more of what I eat. Not as many 'fillers' as when eating breads and other things.

I know with my dog, the vet said that when I switch him to science diet, that he will poop less because it has less fillers in it. I figure that is probably similar to humans also.

I have been fortunate to not have a problem with constipation at all. Everything is easy going!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fewer, smaller, easier to pass, mess free motions are a distinct benefit of paleo
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Animal foods are almost entirely useable so not much goes through.
    If you don't have a problem otherwise then you don't have a problem just because of counting days.

Given the amount of salad and such you're eating your schedule sounds a bit extreme.

If you're bothered add fibrous vegetables and fruits, definitely no need for bread.

You might start by adding some fiber to breakfast.

DebbyL is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    I'm new to this, but I also have issues in regularity. I wouldn't be able to eat cheese, that's for sure. I also use magnesium citrate on a regular basis (the capsules). And I noticed that fennel seeds are allowed, so I chew on crushed fennel seeds (1/2 tsp) (tastes like licorice). I know the feeling, and it can get scary. Hope things straighten up for you soon.

zinnia is offline Member
    I've been worrying about this, too. But since I don't feel particularly constipated, for now I'm chalking it up to "my body is actually using all this nutritious food that I'm eating."

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Prescript Assist probiotic has made even my primal/paleo 'activity' regular and easy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You're eating less crap so more of what you eat is actually used by your body. That equals less crap. Literally.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Where are the fermented foods in your diet?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast