Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking my fat loss plateau! page

FlannelCaveman is offline Junior Member

Question Breaking my fat loss plateau!

Hey guys!

So I've been eating and exercising pretty strictly along the Primal guidelines for a while now, and so far it seemed like I was shedding fat slowly but surely. However, recently I seem to have plateaued at what I would assume is around 12%-14% bodyfat (I'm a 6'2, 165lb, 23 year old male), and am having trouble pushing closer to single digits. The primary reason I want to get to single digit body fat (other than a little bit of aesthetic motivation of course) is so that I can take advantage of the increased insulin sensitivity for a period of bulking. Now I'm not looking to get huge, unnecessary muscle, but I could certainly use some more mass and strength as I have up until this point fit into the "skinny-fat" category, and my total muscle mass has looked somewhat dismal for my height.

Diet wise, I always try to eat high fat, moderate protein, low carb whole foods as per the Primal laws. With the occasional 16-hour fast thrown in. I do eat some dairy as I enjoy a little heavy cream and cheese here and there, and never have any noticeable reactions to them (though they are not a staple food). But I know some people have had success with cutting all dairy out until they reached their goal weight. Other than that I will rarely have some really dark chocolate or some beer when I do cheat.
    As for exercise, I try to walk and hike regularly, lift weights 1-3 times a week (varying intensities depending on number of sessions and recovery needs), and get a sprint session in every 7-10 days.

Any paleo/primal guys out there who managed to break into the coveted single digits? How did you bust through your plateau/s?

Thanks!

Alex
    Last edited by FlannelCaveman; 09-20-2013 at 05:53 PM.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Hey Alex!

I'm going through the same thing. I've stalled for the past two weeks. I tried increasingly calories and carbs a bit but it didn't help. Today, I was doing more research on MDA and stumbled upon this little gem: Can Carb Refeeds Boost Stalled Weight Loss? | Mark's Daily Apple

Needless to say, I will be doing a carb refeed on Sunday

FlannelCaveman is offline Junior Member
    Hey Jodi!

Thanks for your reply. You reminded me that I had read this article a while back, and it's definitely something I will consider trying. I think I was hesitant at first because for a while there my carbs weren't exactly reigned in to an ideal daily average, though I feel I may be at the point where an occasional (Primal)carb-fest would probably do me some good! Plus any excuse to healthy sweets all day doesn't sound too bad.

clewis217 is offline Junior Member
    Maybe you should try adjusting your Macros see what happens, or go hog wild on workouts for a week to breakthrough.
    223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am currently trying to do the same thing.....I recently put my new routine in the "Primal Journals" page a few days back. The workouts a nasty, but I am really hoping to get to about 8%. Lower than that takes a need to be miserable. I got to 6.5% for about a month, years ago, doing Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0.

But to be blunt, it is like going to a labor camp. By day 4 your will be wanting to hunt him down and beat his ass, and he encourages that if you don't feel this way, you aren't doing it right

Check out the journal. If I rewrite it here it will take up tons of space.It's under "The Animal Mother of All Routines" (sorry, full metal jacket reference)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90994-3.html
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 09-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Hi FlannelCaveman...Wishing you the best in your fat loss. Here's what I did after spending several months at around 13% - http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...n-saville.html
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-21-2013 at 11:41 PM.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    You are already there mate. The % body fat your at is probably optimal. To get lower you will probably have to do deliberate hacks. Neckhammer talks on this all the time, he could get into single digits but it's not worth it. The body wants to sit around at 10-12 %

Gettin into single digits is gunna make all your muscle mass goals fairly difficult.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    You could do with some extra lean muscle mass at your height and weight for sure.

I would forget trying hacks. Eat at maintenance or a very small deficit on lifting days, slightly laeger deficit on rest days, even just 300 calories below maintenance

You could eat higher carb pn training days to fuel anaboliam, monitor and adjust.

For someone fairly lean already and working out, insulin sensitivity should be qiute good, try to IF until lunch each day, eat biggest meal at night and monitor progress.

When I started to carb cycle a bit and got my meal distribution dialled in, and accepted that intake (calories??) matter, the fat loss is simple and consistent.

Not quite single digits but dropped from 13.5% to 11.5 in a few weeks with ease.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

jodi29 is offline Member
    Hey Alex,

Wanted to give an update on yesterday's carb refeed. I felt full most of the day despite not increasing my usual calorie count. I ended the day at 57g fat and 239g carbs. My carb sources were: paleo pancakes with pure maple syrup (omg!), veggies, potatoes, fruit, and a larabar. I weighed myself Saturday morning and then again this morning. I dropped two pounds!

If you haven't tried the carb refeed yet, I recommend it. It works!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To Be A Beast | thefitcoach

Also, rather than trying to lose more weight, which will only make you skinnier and still lacking in muscle, why don't you try to build the muscle right now?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast