Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diet analysis page 2

jenhamer is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you for those who replied with good advice and tops, it's nice to get some real advice rather thantdhose who just insult my original post and tell me to eat more which sounds easier said than done. Regarding my bedtime snack it is actually quite tasty as the yogurt, fruit and nuts are all mixed together which I quite like. One last question I would like some help on is I have always been a keen runner and competed at county and national level. However due to injury I no longer compete at that level. However when I was competing I was not following a paleo lifestyle. I ate plenty of pasta, carbs, protein, veg, basically anything within reason and had lots of energy to run and compete. Since I have started paleo I find running so hard, just picking my legs up they. Feel heavy and energy less. Why would this be? Would it be because I am underweight? Or not eating enough fat? Or a combination of the two. I just want to know that a paleo diet can give me the energy to feel great when running? Please help?

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenhamer View Post
    Since I have started paleo I find running so hard, just picking my legs up they. Feel heavy and energy less. Why would this be? Would it be because I am underweight? Or not eating enough fat? Or a combination of the two. I just want to know that a paleo diet can give me the energy to feel great when running? Please help?
    Sounds like you have just started the Primal/Paleo life and are like me experiencing the carb-flu... I didn't have much energy in my legs for a while but it will go away but for you it's essential to really try and eat more calories. You need them for your body to maintain your muscles.
    Also, read the free fitness book that comes with the news letter. for the PB you only need to be able to run a few yards at full speed. Also it's important not to push yourself. Listen to your body. If you muscles say no, than it is no... it will get better after a while but take this time to give your body time to adept.

You will get your energy back, even I got more energy when I started this lifestyle. (after a few days of carb-flu that is)

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Regarding your running, I don't have much experience in this area. But I can say that I wouldn't have much energy either if I ate as little as you do. Eating carbs is perfectly compatible with primal but they just shouldn't come from grains. So you can eat as many starchy veges such as carrots and parsnips as well as fruit like bananas and grapes that you need for energy. In fact it may be a really good idea to do this because it may also increase your appetite so that you can eat more food overall. That would be good because you really need to nourish and build up your body. Even rice is okay on primal but it's pretty much empty calories so I still think you would be better off with veges which also have more vitamins and minerals etc to offer. Either way, serve them with wholesome natural fats (olive oil, butter, animal fats)

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I understand what you say about loving the exercise, but wow, that is a lot. Can you cut back a tiny bit? Maybe say you'll do no more than an hour a day? Or only 5 days a week, definitely not 6?

By the way - you don't like pork, but how about bacon? Very different taste. Oh, and what about liver? (Chicken liver has the mildest flavour.)

Afraid bacon is out. I used to just eat fish but now manage chicken and eggs aswell to add a bit more variety but have tried all other meats and really don't like. I have been following paleo for about 1 month so I would have thought I would have gone past the 'carb flu' stage and feel more energised when I try to run? I am hoping the reason is because I am so underweight and if I weight more then my running will become easier again as I am missing the enjoyment it has previously brought me. Its no fun when each step is an effort? Hopefully it will improve?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Pour fat on everything and have a couple of bulletproof coffees...

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    Afraid bacon is out. I used to just eat fish but now manage chicken and eggs aswell to add a bit more variety but have tried all other meats and really don't like. I have been following paleo for about 1 month so I would have thought I would have gone past the 'carb flu' stage and feel more energised when I try to run? I am hoping the reason is because I am so underweight and if I weight more then my running will become easier again as I am missing the enjoyment it has previously brought me. Its no fun when each step is an effort? Hopefully it will improve?
    Too bad you are sticking to fish... are you open for seafood? if so, try to eat things like oysters, crab, lobster, shellfish those sort of things... they are normally high in nutrition value. Things like crab meat is nice in salad as well. Also try sardines with your salad, they are nice and fatty.

If you are that long on the wagon chances of being carb-flu are smaller but still possible. Your body is probably used to work on a low intake of calories and sugar so maybe it only now started to notice the change and adapting to it.
    But more likely is indeed that you are eating not enough for your body to keep up with the workout schedule. you need to work towards a better balance... some people had some great ideas around here...

Just take it easy, give your stomach time and your body time, miracles won't happen overnight...

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for those who replied with good advice and tops, it's nice to get some real advice rather thantdhose who just insult my original post and tell me to eat more which sounds easier said than done. Regarding my bedtime snack it is actually quite tasty as the yogurt, fruit and nuts are all mixed together which I quite like. One last question I would like some help on is I have always been a keen runner and competed at county and national level. However due to injury I no longer compete at that level. However when I was competing I was not following a paleo lifestyle. I ate plenty of pasta, carbs, protein, veg, basically anything within reason and had lots of energy to run and compete. Since I have started paleo I find running so hard, just picking my legs up they. Feel heavy and energy less. Why would this be? Would it be because I am underweight? Or not eating enough fat? Or a combination of the two. I just want to know that a paleo diet can give me the energy to feel great when running? Please help?
    Sorry you felt offended when I suggested you should eat more and exercize less. In a nutshell, that is what you need to do. You are starving yourself and that makes me feel sad for you. I admit that I can't relate because I really like good food.

To be as exhausted as you are is a little scary.

I suggest more carbs if you have to choose one macro.

Good luck in your journey.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks again guys. Am going to really try to work this. I know it is a case of eating more and more but like I said for me that is easier said than done but fingers crossed I will be able to do it and then feel great. I would love to be able to post a success story on Marks site in a few months time saying I have managed to gain the needed weight and have boundless energy living paleo ? Wish me luck x

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I know you will be a success story because you are determined.

I want to make you some really good Tom Kha soup.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast