Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet potato v Normal potato (White) page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Sweet potato v Normal potato (White)

Primal Fuel
    Is there much difference between the two?

It seems sweet potato is a preferred choice for people, my budget is a bit tight ATM so was going to buy normal white potatoes as sweet potatoes are a bit expensive in my area.

What's the nutritional difference? Is one better than the other?

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    My noticable difference?

Potatoes are just a meal/snack thing, sweet potatoes can be meal, snacks or desserts... they have a "sweet factor". You can bake them like chips, cookies, stuffed with dates, honey and chocolate, etc... Top a sweet potato with coconut butter? HNNNNNNG.

As for potatoes? Well... potato. That's it, really. You can make chips, add sour cream. But only really savoury foods - which don't get me wrong, I love potatoes.

IMHO just depends on personal preference of taste and if you can afford it or not. "Do I enjoy sweet potatoes, can I fit them into my budget, and will they be worth the money?" is the only real question you should be asking. But I'm sure (knowing this forum) you'll get some guys/gals coming in here to post their sciency links. :P
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    They are nutritionally different but not really something to strain a wallet over. You can go to a calorie tracking website if you really want to compare side by side.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight137 View Post
    My noticable difference?

Potatoes are just a meal/snack thing, sweet potatoes can be meal, snacks or desserts... they have a "sweet factor". You can bake them like chips, cookies, stuffed with dates, honey and chocolate, etc... Top a sweet potato with coconut butter? HNNNNNNG.

As for potatoes? Well... potato. That's it, really. You can make chips, add sour cream. But only really savoury foods - which don't get me wrong, I love potatoes.

IMHO just depends on personal preference of taste and if you can afford it or not. "Do I enjoy sweet potatoes, can I fit them into my budget, and will they be worth the money?" is the only real question you should be asking. But I'm sure (knowing this forum) you'll get some guys/gals coming in here to post their sciency links. :P
    I never thought of them as a dessert, that sounds great with the dates!

I only make chips with potatoes basically so it doesn't bother me and I love em.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    They are nutritionally different but not really something to strain a wallet over. You can go to a calorie tracking website if you really want to compare side by side.
    I've read they are very similar, depends which is on special at the time, either way ill probably go with the cheapest.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Another thing to try are plantains. Were I live we do not have sweet potatoes, yam is $1.25/lbs (and so are squashes), but plantains are $0.88/lbs, and they go on sale for 50% off that makes them $0.44 per pound.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are a good choice too. I don't like how potatoes make me feel.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post

It seems sweet potato is a preferred choice for people, my budget is a bit tight ATM so was going to buy normal white potatoes as sweet potatoes are a bit expensive in my area.

They are dirt cheap here so I guess I'm lucky. I think switch them up for variety-I love them both.

In sweetpotato deserts: I was watching British MasterChef the other day and the chef host said that he had never heard if desserts with sweet potato! (As a southerner I was highly amused, they are so sweet you barely even need sugar)
    Last edited by lea; 09-20-2013 at 07:08 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post

There is a difference in taste.

There is little difference in cost or nutrition.

Choose based on your personal tastes. They're both dirt cheap and good for you. Or, do what I do and eat a lot of both often.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From wat I know are sweet potatoes classified as vegetables and a normal white potato not... I'm not sure but there might be a difference in what they provide health wise

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast