Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sweet potato v Normal potato (White) page 6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Potatoes store their nasties in their skin.
    Stephan Guyenet does a fantastic breakdown of the glycoalkaloid of potatoes. The fact is the content varies wildly in species of potatoes, and the species found in American supermarkets are generally low.

Whole Health Source: Potatoes and Human Health, Part II

I recommend reading the multi-part series.

Russet potatoes are typically the most consumed. If you were to sit there and eat nothing but potato skins of russet potatoes that are sprouting eyes from sitting in your pantry for weeks, it could be a real problem, but in the context of eating the whole potato - especially a fresh one without any eyes and sprouts - the content is very low. The content of the flesh is basically zero, so a peeled russet potato should be completely "safe."

Of course, let's put "safe" in context. Every plant contains some level of anti-nutrients. The Primal Blueprint advocates for dark, leafy greens and berries. They're the highest in anti-nutrients in both the vegetable and fruit category! White potatoes on a calorie-per-calorie basis are lower in anti-nutrients than kale or spinach.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes also much better the next day or even out of the fridge and better to transport I find than white potato

From London England UK

youtacolot is offline Member
    Chapter 8 in Loren Cordain's "Paleo Answer" is titled "Potatoes Should Stay below Ground".

Although he does not seem to imply an occasional potato will pose any problem, his main concerns seem to be the higher glycemic load versus sweet potatoes or yams, and that a lifetime of regularly eating potatoes could increase low level inflammation due to leaky gut caused by the glycoalkaloids. I'm no expert on this stuff but I remembered that chapter from his book.

I personally favor sweet potatoes because I prefer the taste. Just yesterday I found white sweet potatoes at the farmers market and they are pretty awesome.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    Chapter 8 in Loren Cordain's "Paleo Answer" is titled "Potatoes Should Stay below Ground".

Although he does not seem to imply an occasional potato will pose any problem, his main concerns seem to be the higher glycemic load versus sweet potatoes or yams, and that a lifetime of regularly eating potatoes could increase low level inflammation due to leaky gut caused by the glycoalkaloids. I'm no expert on this stuff but I remembered that chapter from his book.

I personally favor sweet potatoes because I prefer the taste. Just yesterday I found white sweet potatoes at the farmers market and they are pretty awesome.
    That book should stay below ground where no one can find it. He also was anti-saturated fat. More fantasy.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes have the same glycemic load. I'm assuming you're referring to glycemic index, which has nothing to do with...anything. Furthermore, cold white potatoes have a smaller glycemic index and glycemic load than sweet potatoes because the resistant starch content increases an order of magnitude and passes through the intestines undigested and is later fermented into butyrate - a fatty acid - in the colon. Cold potatoes are actually a fat source...huh?

Generally I see white potatoes as superior to sweet potatoes for health, but it's so close just eat what you like better. If you like both, eat them both.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456