Thread: Autoimmune disease and a high-carb diet???

Autoimmune disease and a high-carb diet???

Shop Now
    I have a lot of symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome, though no formal diagnosis yet. Have struggled with various symptoms for years, and suddenly developed another one and will hopefully get to the bottom of it all soon. I've been following a Primal diet -- with some GAPS thrown in there -- for about a year now, and as a person with lots of blood sugar regulation issues, it's been great. But I just read on Dr. Andrew Weil's website -- to my surprise -- that he tells people with autoimmune disorders to follow a HIGH CARB, low protein diet. WTF???? I am so totally confused now I don't know what to think anymore. It is really disheartening how much conflicting info there is out there. I don't think I can handle a high carb diet -- and certainly not low protein. It makes me feel like crap. Any thoughts out there? Here is the link where he says it -- at the bottom of the page:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03366...are-Guide.html
    Last edited by almomajol25; 09-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.

If what you are doing now is working, then don't change a thing.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by almomajol25 View Post
    I have a lot of symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome, though no formal diagnosis yet. Have struggled with various symptoms for years, and suddenly developed another one and will hopefully get to the bottom of it all soon. I've been following a Primal diet -- with some GAPS thrown in there -- for about a year now, and as a person with lots of blood sugar regulation issues, it's been great. But I just read on Dr. Andrew Weil's website -- to my surprise -- that he tells people with autoimmune disorders to follow a HIGH CARB, low protein diet. WTF???? I am so totally confused now I don't know what to think anymore. It is really disheartening how much conflicting info there is out there. I don't think I can handle a high carb diet -- and certainly not low protein. It makes me feel like crap. Any thoughts out there? Here is the link where he says it -- at the bottom of the page:

Sjogren's Syndrome

I feel you on this, I know exactly how it feels when you get conflicting information on certain issues or topics and can't make up your mind which is right. Here are a few suggestions that I think may hopefully help you your dilemma. Whenever I'm faced with this type of situation what I usually do is test out both for a few days and see what results I get from it, then move on.

Also, people tend to put themselves into a narrow focus in this type of situation which I have done before and is not good and cause you to put off everything until you figure out the situation. So another thing I could suggest is first getting yourself out of that mindset. If I'm guessing correctly, you're probably asking yourself the wrong question which is: "which one works best for me?". Instead what you should ask yourself is, "what are my options, or what other options do I have to either figure this out or other alternatives I find?"

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I think this could help a little for you to better resolve the issue.
    223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

The simplest thing I find is just plain old never listen to that hack. He and his beard have been trying to convince everybody that a largely veg*n diet is good for you for years. He looks like Santa Clause last I looked so the proof is in his pudding if you get my meaning.

If you know high carb low protein makes you feel awful I would say give it 6 months of low carb AI version paleo and see where your at. if it does not help, well you know.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Shop Now
    I have done best on the paleo autoimmune protocol. I've tried so many diets to help control my autoimmunity, and none helped at all until I went to AIP.

I don't count carbs though - I am probably a bit higher on the carb curve for paleo. But definitely not "high carb/low protein" by CW standards.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html