Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Little Stressed page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

I'm a Little Stressed

Primal Fuel
    Well, not yet, but I will be.

I like my job a lot. That's why I volunteered to work almost 20 hrs of overtime next week. I'm going to be working from 9 to 9, so yeah, a lot of hours. And I could get more if I wanted but I think maybe I shouldn't entirely burn myself out. Anywho, my sleep quality kind of sucks lately. I'm not sure why. Do any of you have any insights on what I could do to improve it? The problem is that I wake up early and have trouble getting back to sleep. Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes when I wake early a drink of water will help me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Wow, interesting about the drink of water, Magicmerl. I may try that. I have the same issue.

Wildrose - do you notice any pattern to it? Is it when you have a lot on your mind? For me, the 3 a.m. wake up (or earlier) happens during certain times in my menstrual cycle (around day 20 on). Outside of that, I can sleep through the night.

You might take note when it happens to see if there is a triggering event. Maybe what you eat before bed? I recently read that eating carbs late can cause your adrenals to kick in too early (or something like that).

sg

I have been eating fairly soon before bedtime lately... maybe I'll change that. I have noticed that my mind is very active when I wake up and that makes it hard to go back to sleep. I want to take a nap in the afternoon, which I sometimes do on my lunch break. Working from home rocks.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    When I wake up and can't go back to sleep I play a few games of solitaire on my phone. It clears my mind and tires my eyes and I fall right back to sleep. Reading is also supposed to help, but I don't want to turn on a light and wake hubby.

Also, going for a walk before bed seems to help me sleep better.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    For me, the 3 a.m. wake up (or earlier) happens during certain times in my menstrual cycle (around day 20 on). Outside of that, I can sleep through the night.
    sg
    Wow, possible lightbulb! This may explain my sleep issues recently (which is usually not an issue).

I just take NyQuil though which is probably not super primal.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Stress is a killer. Whenever I get an influx of business and I have deadlines from my clients I am plugged in most hours of the day including the weekends. The problem is even when I lay down to sleep my mind is still thinking about that days work and preparing for the next. It feels like there is a constant adrenaline/fight or flight response that makes it so hard to get a restful sleep. The thing that helps me most is to turn off your phones, tv, laptop and don't even think about work when you are done. Try to get in a light walk out in nature if there is light out (I know you said you finish at 9pm) just to decompress. Try to do your best and if you can't finish everything in one day don't get too worked up about it. I like to drink coffee but I never use it to start my day and get going. I will only drink coffee when work is done and I am completely relaxed. When I use it to wake up and focus on deadlines I get into trouble with it.

I hear you on sleep though. When you are stressed you get to bed late and toss and turn. When you finally fall asleep its time to wake up and start your next day. Sometimes the money we make isn't worth all the stress, its all about a healthy balance
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    When I wake up and can't go back to sleep I play a few games of solitaire on my phone. It clears my mind and tires my eyes and I fall right back to sleep. Reading is also supposed to help, but I don't want to turn on a light and wake hubby.

Also, going for a walk before bed seems to help me sleep better.
    Thanks, I think I'll try going for a walk. I need to get in more slow moving, I'm definitely slacking off in that area...

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I take 750mg of magnesium right before I go to bed.

It does ZERO to put me to sleep, but it KEEPS me asleep
    when I AM sleeping, and even when I get up to pee 15,000
    mother^(&*#!!effing times, I fall back to sleep EASILY instead
    of lying there for three hours WISHING I could go back to sleep,
    like I did for the FIRST THIRTY-FIVE YEARS of my almost FORTY-FIVE
    years of existence.

Swear to the G-man, if I would have known the secret-secretness of
    GREAT SLEEP from little ol' magnesium when I moved out of the house
    the second I graduated from high school... well, I guess I woulda been
    a lot more well rested.

Try it!

You may want to try 500mgs first though, 750 might give you "the works" in the
    morning. I'm talkin' bathroom issues here.

Julia

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I take 750mg of magnesium right before I go to bed.

It does ZERO to put me to sleep, but it KEEPS me asleep
    when I AM sleeping, and even when I get up to pee 15,000
    mother^(&*#!!effing times, I fall back to sleep EASILY instead
    of lying there for three hours WISHING I could go back to sleep,
    like I did for the FIRST THIRTY-FIVE YEARS of my almost FORTY-FIVE
    years of existence.

Swear to the G-man, if I would have known the secret-secretness of
    GREAT SLEEP from little ol' magnesium when I moved out of the house
    the second I graduated from high school... well, I guess I woulda been
    a lot more well rested.

Try it!

You may want to try 500mgs first though, 750 might give you "the works" in the
    morning. I'm talkin' bathroom issues here.

Julia
    Oooh, I just got some magnesium pills today for cramps! I might try this, definitely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast