Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paging Mr. Gorbag - Pop News Article on Diet Soda page

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Paging Mr. Gorbag - Pop News Article on Diet Soda

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I just saw this quote (listed right after the one about how you should NEVER skip meals) on Active:
    A University of Texas Health Science Center study found the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk for becoming overweight. Drinking just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500 percent. Why?
    I don't think diet soda is healthy but man that stat sounds wrong.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, the caffeine increases cortisol, not to mention the tricks that artificial sweeteners play on your brain. Tim Ferriss advocates no more than 400ml a day if you're trying to lose weight.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Only you Richmahogany could find such a nonsensical article so quickly after it is published among all the other internet-crap out there...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    By 500%?? So, if a normal healthy woman with a waistline of 25" suddenly started drinking diet soda, she would end up with a waistline of 150"? LMAO. I've seen some fat people, but not many have waistlines of 150", and boatloads of people drink diet soda.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip @ MIPWID View Post
    Tim Ferriss advocates no more than 400ml a day if you're trying to lose weight.
    Lol, I wouldn't put too much stock into what Ferriss says about nutrition.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I'm loathe to defend anything Coca-cola makes but the researchers' conjecture feels weak here. They aren't really proposing a mechanism.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    By 500%?? So, if a normal healthy woman with a waistline of 25" suddenly started drinking diet soda, she would end up with a waistline of 150"? LMAO. I've seen some fat people, but not many have waistlines of 150", and boatloads of people drink diet soda.
    ...Was your post satire?
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Only you Richmahogany could find such a nonsensical article so quickly after it is published among all the other internet-crap out there...
    Hey, I never said it was a good or convincing article. Just thought you'd like to see it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    ...Was your post satire?
    No, did I do the math wrong? 5x25 = 125 added to 25 because it said increased "by" not "to" = 150". I don't think diet soda is something to drink on a regular basis, but I don't think it makes people twice as wide as they are tall. I know, that wouldn't be technically true because a circumference of 150" isn't the same as being 150" wide. I think I'd need some pi formula for that.

Ack, geometry was too long ago. Google: diameter = circumference/3.14 (pi rounded), so we'd be talking about someone who was ~ 48" wide in the above example. If the woman is 5'7" tall, she 67" tall. Diet soda puts her at 48" wide. That shit's toxic. (Now I'm just being silly, but still 500% seems excessive.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast