Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non organic primal eating - thoughts please! page

Buteo is offline Member

Non organic primal eating - thoughts please!

Primal Fuel
    Hey all

Hubby and I have been eating along PB lines for a couple of months now and are doing really well. Both losing weight at a steady rate and feeling more energetic than we have in years

..however I am concerned about the low budget aspect of what we are doing. We are living on benefits as hubby is out of work and so our food budget simply doesn't allow us to buy organic/grass fed produce. We tried to initially...but it meant we simply couldn't buy enough food to last us the week so we made the decision to go back to 'ordinary' and 'value' produce. As much as I cringe every time I buy it all I have to remind myself that it won't be forever and is a necessary evil so we don't go hungry.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on how to minimise the negative effects of eating non-organic foods. My periods were never particularly regular but since starting PB I haven't had one at all and that can't be good can it?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I eat conventional, non-grass fed meat at restuarants. Its part of my 80/20, although I would love to eat just organic meats or grass fed beef, I dont do this all of the time because I have a life lol! However when at the grocery store, or market, I buy organic, free range chickens, and grass fed beef only. Its expensive, yes. As far as budgeting, I consider myself a person who makes very little money, and spend a good amount of it on food. I have less money for lots of other things, but its a priority thing to me. I have no idea what your financial situation is, if you have children or not, or a large amount of monthly bills/responisibilties, so I feel a little presumptious telling someone "you can afford it!" when I have no idea what other(financial) factors are at play. I am on a very tight budget, and manage to get enough meat and other proteins to cook dinner 5 out of 7 nights. It involves a little planning, and I can only really afford to buy chicken, fish, and pork products. Grass fed beef is the real wallet-breaker! So I dont buy it often at all.

2 whole organic chickens from whole foods (2 at $13-$15= roughly $30)
    yeilds
    4 breasts
    4 thighs
    4 legs
    4 wings

Fish
    16 oz wild sockeye salmon at $12/lb (previosly frozen)
    I buy 3 lbs, so thats 48 oz at roughly $40
    yeilds 8, 6 oz portions

One package local, organic bacon $6

Pork chops 2.5 lbs (roughly 4 10oz chops) $20

Pastured, organic eggs $12 (2 cartons)

Pastured, organic butter $5 (200 grams, 2 sticks)

Coconut oil $7

misc veggies, nuts $20

This is a good amount of food for an entire week, possibly more, for two people. I regularly buy this exact list at whole foods. Its around $135-$150, depending on what other little things I pick up, like cheese, wine, or chocolate. If you split the groceries with the Hubs, then thats around 75 dollars for one person. Thats a pretty good deal for one week of meals, including some lunches and breakfasts (bacon and eggs, left overs from dinner, ect). Could your budget allow for this every other week, instead of every week?
    Last edited by lmyers04; 06-06-2010 at 05:01 AM.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I live on $1100 a month and eat non-organic foods from the supermarket. I feel better not eating all the processed crap I used to eat.
    I do not worry about it being organic. I do what I can afford to do.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
    I live on $1100 a month
    Woah how many are you feeding?

I eat grass-fed organs, that's it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    I feel better not eating all the processed crap I used to eat.
    This sounds like very good advise

Buteo is offline Member
    I live on $1100 a month and eat non-organic foods from the supermarket. I feel better not eating all the processed crap I used to eat.
    You do make a very good point there...especially re the processed crap...I used to eat loads as well so I should feel better about it.

To explain our situation in slightly more detail there's 3 of us - me, my hubby and our very lively 6 year old son (who eats twice the amount I do ) . Our budget is around 40-60 per week (so that's around $60-$80 per week if Google is right?).

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Let's just say it's still way better than eating processed crap. Cuting out sugar, grains and the garbage oils/additives is the most important. Rest is just taking it to the next level.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    My suggestions:

Eat fruits/vegetables with the least pesticide residues:
    http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/ma...cides-in-food/

Eat mostly beef (naturally low omega-6 levels, even in grain fed)

Eat leaner cuts and add fat from kerrygold butter (pastured and pretty inexpensive) or coconut oil/milk

Eat canned fish, sardines are an excellent, cheap, low contaminant source of nutrition. Wild alaskan salmon is also very cheap in cans.

Eat lots of eggs. Organic omega-3 eggs only cost around $3 a dozen.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    In my household, eating grass-fed beef is a goal to aspire to. After a lengthy unemployment, and currently supporting myself on temp work, I buy grocery store meats, fish and chicken on sale, about half my produce is organic (if it's cheap), and I take Omega 3 supplements. I do buy pastured butter (because the flavor is soooo much better) and organic cream (cost is only a tad more at WF). The best possible diet? No. But much better than I was eating before, and I haven't been sick in a long time. Didn't even get the flu this year, the first time in eons! "Some day when I'm rich" I'll eat exclusively grass fed, but in the meantime I have more energy than any 3 conventionally-fed 20-year-olds -- and I'm 57! You're doing fine for your family, and you can do better as your situation improves. Something I keep reminding myself -- it's hard to cook healthy meals if I can't afford a kitchen!

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yeah, what Ry said about canned fish! I can get sardines for .79 per can at the local Grocery Outlet. They're not the cute pretty ones, but they're sardines and mighty tasty. Wonderful on a salad. And Trader Joe's has most excellent canned wild salmon at a good price. And he's right about eggs. Splurge on eggs, if your budget allows. Lots of bang for your buck if you can afford the best eggs.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast