Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cults page 2

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Do you think that the cult of Mars or Mithra or Demeter or Pan or Bacchus or Caesar claimed that only their cult knew the truth?

You are divorcing the term "cult" from its historical definition and hijacking it to serve corporate culture industries.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that the difference between cults and mainstream christianity or politics or science is the claim to exclusive access to the truth.

For example, baptists aren't a cult because they recognise that anglicans, presbyterians etc are all genuine believers as well. Whereas a cult like scientology doesn't just claim exclusive access to the truth, they also try to cut their members off from alternate views and engage in mind control/brainwashing.
    Lol. Baptist *may* concede another Christian has access.. Just like a scientologist thinks another scientologist has access. Christians think their religion is the one true religion. I have been told enough times I am going to hell by a Christian to know this. A lot of people laugh at how ridiculous Scientology is but come on... Gods with monkey or elephant heads or a billion hands? Pregnant virgins? Yeah. Soooo much less ridiculous. Don't tell me Christianity doesn't tell believers to not follow other ways of thought... Churchs against teaching evolution to kids, commandment by god to not worship other idols... Blah blah.

If you aren't Christian, you are going to hell.

If you don't vote democrat (or republican or whatever), you are stupid and unenlightened. (Many times I hear "omg you are republican/democrat? I thought you were smarter than that.")

If you don't play the rules of the artificially constructed scientific method, your research is worthless. (Although I admit I subscribe to this cult myself, I find it funny that people seem to think logic > emotion when both are human )

Cult is just a way of thinking, a system of beliefs that hasn't been expanded into mainstream. Human beings are made to group together and to exhibit in-group bias. No one will call his or her group as the cult. It is just a derogatory term for outsiders to demote a way of thought because the thought was weird to them.

I recognize I will get a lot of flack for grouping quacks, scientists, Christians, politicians and scientologists together.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Natureman Guest
    Any organization that is not "mainstream" can be considered a cult BY SOCIETY. The big, organized religions for example, will try to give cults a bad name because they can be competition in the future. Christianity was a cult when it first started because it was not "mainstream".

Some may say the Tea Party is a political cult because it is not mainstream. The same can be said about the Paleo concept. The LCHF diet is another example. Not mainstream thinking at all so it gets attacked.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Do you think that the cult of Mars or Mithra or Demeter or Pan or Bacchus or Caesar claimed that only their cult knew the truth?

You are divorcing the term "cult" from its historical definition and hijacking it to serve corporate culture industries.
    The meaning of words evolved over time.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Lol. Baptist *may* concede another Christian has access.. Just like a scientologist thinks another scientologist has access. Christians think their religion is the one true religion. I have been told enough times I am going to hell by a Christian to know this.
    Please don't judge christianity by the the actions of an individual.

A lot of people laugh at how ridiculous Scientology is but come on... Gods with monkey or elephant heads or a billion hands? Pregnant virgins? Yeah. Soooo much less ridiculous. Don't tell me Christianity doesn't tell believers to not follow other ways of thought... Churchs against teaching evolution to kids, commandment by god to not worship other idols... Blah blah.
    It's an unfortunate reality that the 'christians' which spend the most time promoting themselves and courting publicity are the de-facto public face of christianity, in the sense that they are all that non-christians see of christians, so that's what they think all christians believe.

I personally find evolution to be a very compelling arguement.

If you aren't Christian, you are going to hell.
    I don't think this is true (I think a more accurate interpretation is if you've *rejected* christ then you don't get to be with him in heaven). I think it's also up for debate as to what exactly 'hell' is.

If you don't vote democrat (or republican or whatever), you are stupid and unenlightened. (Many times I hear "omg you are republican/democrat? I thought you were smarter than that.")
    You're right, and the only conclusion I can reach is, those differing viewpoints don't matter nearly as much as people think they do.

Cult is just a way of thinking, a system of beliefs that hasn't been expanded into mainstream. Human beings are made to group together and to exhibit in-group bias. No one will call his or her group as the cult. It is just a derogatory term for outsiders to demote a way of thought because the thought was weird to them.

I recognize I will get a lot of flack for grouping quacks, scientists, Christians, politicians and scientologists together.
    Well, that's your definition of the term. I personally use a different definition.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Magicmerl, you are probably Christian, right? Of course you wouldn't say it is a cult....
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Magicmerl, you are probably Christian, right? Of course you wouldn't say it is a cult....
    Probably.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    well, i definitely think cults have a bad name because the original term basically means "to cultivate" and was widely used to just refer to any sort of discipline or practice that someone might undertake.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Culture.

M.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    There are only a few things about religion that we know for certain:

Jewish people don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christianity.
    Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast