Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Big Agribusiness made us associate Carbohydrates with love and happines page 2

zebonaut is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Its funny; minus all the carbs; I never get hungry anymore. Proof that there is an addictive quality to carbs; and your body craves them for the glucose fuel. I'll let my body convert the fat and protein I eat; to any small amount of glucose it may need. (Avatar is Ray Walston from the old My Favorite Martian series, a rather scientific character)

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    Its funny; minus all the carbs; I never get hungry anymore. Proof that there is an addictive quality to carbs; and your body craves them for the glucose fuel. I'll let my body convert the fat and protein I eat; to any small amount of glucose it may need. (Avatar is Ray Walston from the old My Favorite Martian series, a rather scientific character)
    Talking about carbohydrates, it's me or I barely feel "hungry" anymore until I start to feel that pain that comes after not eating for too long?

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Talking about carbohydrates, it's me or I barely feel "hungry" anymore until I start to feel that pain that comes after not eating for too long?
    I'm almost there myself. About 14 hours into my daily IF, the beginnings of actual hunger pains are starting but no problem. I can handle another few hours until dinner.

As to the OP, commercials such as the Pillsbury Doughboy are nothing more than marketing ploys that are in response to the CW that was started by the US government with the Food Pyramid.

It also buys into the stereotype of "Fat is happy" that has been perpetuated for some time.

The Doughboy is fat, you poke him and he giggles, the commercialized image of the "happy fat man" used for marketing purposes.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Baked goods were already associated with love and happiness in American culture long before the doughboy character was invented. They still are. Mom and apple pie. Moms who make cookies (there was some huge political thing I think with Hillary about that a while back). Grandma's stuffing at Thanksgiving. That sort of thing. What corporate America first had to do was show that they could save mom and grandma all that work while still allowing them to provide the love and happiness. The Doughboy was mom's little helper in the kitchen. Eventually we got to the point now where everybody just goes straight to the love and happiness without needing a mom to make it for them. Now we can associate the doughboy and Pillsbury with love and happiness directly. The finger poke is more about freshness and fresh-bakedness than about being fat. It really isn't about the carbs so much as it's about marketing a product. They could be selling bacon and then they'd just use cultural associations having to do with bacon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    l.jpg

Now, THAT'S more like it...
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic
    How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

It's Good.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Carbs themselves cannot be addictive. It is the stuff that gets added to them in processed snacks.

Try getting addicted to baked potatoes. OTOH, a bag of potato chips off the shelf? Effortless. I was dismayed to see milk powder as an ingredient in one brand of potato chips the other day.

Similarly try getting addicted to bananas, just simple pure refined sugar or steamed rice.
    Few but ripe.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Carbs themselves cannot be addictive. It is the stuff that gets added to them in processed snacks.

Try getting addicted to baked potatoes. OTOH, a bag of potato chips off the shelf? Effortless. I was dismayed to see milk powder as an ingredient in one brand of potato chips the other day.

Similarly try getting addicted to bananas, just simple pure refined sugar or steamed rice.
    Food additives =/= processed food. Processed food means baking, grilling, steaming, sauteeing, fermenting, drying, chopping, grinding, mixing, etc. Even food additives aren't really the addicting part about the food. If you made homemade potato chips, they'd be just as addicting.

Carbs can definitely be addicting. I think "refined foods" is the term you're looking for. This goes for sugar, flour, and vegetable oils. These refined foods are one of just a few reasons for modern obesity. The others are gut disruption via genetic supercrops (modern wheat for instance) and a lack of physical work.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I saw a new Cheerios commercial last night that made me think of this thread. It was basically a little boy asking his mom if nana fed her Cheerios and the mom saying yes and the kid looks up with these toddler eyes and says 'so its almost like we're having breakfast with nana' and the mom looks like she's going to cry and days yes. Because obviously nana is dead or maybe that was just my interpretation. It ends with 'love' on the screen.

Sheesh. So heavy handed to me it was close to satire.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I saw a new Cheerios commercial last night that made me think of this thread. It was basically a little boy asking his mom if nana fed her Cheerios and the mom saying yes and the kid looks up with these toddler eyes and says 'so its almost like we're having breakfast with nana' and the mom looks like she's going to cry and days yes. Because obviously nana is dead or maybe that was just my interpretation. It ends with 'love' on the screen.

Sheesh. So heavy handed to me it was close to satire.
    Here is another Cheerios commercial along that same line. More CW BS. This commercial also caused some controversy because it shows a mixed race family, some people just need to get a freaking life! Having a mixed race family myself, I fail to see why people get pissed by these things.

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast