Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal/paleo = religion? page

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member

Primal/paleo = religion?

Shop Now
    Good article:

Calling for an End to Nutrition as Religion

Though there are good anecdotal stories in this forum concerning the benefits of a primal/paleo diet, I am uncomfortable with the "cult of personality" around Mark, and the lack of convincing scientific studies that demonstrate what many people in this forum seem to be expecting from it.

I believe a healthy dose of scepticism and questioning of the primal principles is a Good Thing. Anyone else share these feelings, or am I simply an agnostic in a gathering of True Believers?

Don't get me wrong, I am trying to convert some of my personal habits to align with the primal approach that I believe to be well-founded, but I'm not expecting the PB to be a Silver Bullet and I believe we should constructively challenge it.

Thoughts?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Weeks pass with no one using the name or image of Mark at all in any context whatsoever really.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    I am uncomfortable with the "cult of personality" around Mark
    Can you cite some examples? I've probably read a lot more threads than you, and I don't find this to be the case.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The Ray Peat thread was just locked for one example. Dissenting opinions is bad for appearances and business.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nobody kills in the name of Mark either..... I don't think???

OP it seems quite silly to come on to a forum where this stuff is hotly debated day in and day out with reference and citations revolving around scientific study and claim what you are attempting to. Have you even bothered opening a few threads round here? Maybe you just don't like that this WOE actually does tend to stand up to scientific scrutiny quite well. If so then thats your bag man . If you actually have a constructive criticism with some scientific citations to illustrate your point....by all means feel free to participate.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Can you cite some examples? I've probably read a lot more threads than you, and I don't find this to be the case.
    Yeah, if anything, the forum is half full of people who dismiss Mark and his nutritional prescription. You ought to read his blog, though, since he does cite a lot of original research which you can read for yourself and decide if it's a religion based on his personality.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The Ray Peat thread was just locked for one example. Dissenting opinions is bad for appearances and business.
    You really feel that opposing viewpoints are stifled here? How many posts were there in the Ray Peat thread you reference before it was locked? How many other Ray Peat threads were people actively posting in concurrently? At least 2 other megathreads. Seriously, Derps?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I kind of forgot that the guy (mark) existed to be honest, and no one has reminded me at all recently.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You really feel that opposing viewpoints are stifled here? How many posts were there in the Ray Peat thread you reference before it was locked? How many other Ray Peat threads were people actively posting in concurrently? At least 2 other megathreads. Seriously, Derps?
    The mega thread was the one that was locked, broham. No one was even shitposting in it. It had 95 pages. Most discussion of Peat comes when someone starts spouting dogmatic BS about fruit and sugar. That's more of what Neck is talking about, and we usually just debate our points of view. Not my fault it gets ugly, but it's never that bad. Except that one topic yesterday.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lol.... I see that to be the same thing as when the iodine thread got locked though. Its not like you got banned. Your likely more than welcome to continue posting your results with Peat in other threads.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast