Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal/paleo = religion? page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dunno why the mods decided to jump in now and start trying to force rules, this was a self-moderated forum for the most part, and, despite what some say, is the most civil and intelligent dedicated nutrition forum on the internet by far. Most other dedicated forums don't welcome discussions that aren't following exactly the same protocols, and as such, are stagnant advice forums or "progress" threads. Like this one used to be, before people started trolling.

I'll be banned soon enough, probably.
    nihil

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Dunno why the mods decided to jump in now and start trying to force rules, this was a self-moderated forum for the most part, and, despite what some say, is the most civil and intelligent dedicated nutrition forum on the internet by far. Most other dedicated forums don't welcome discussions that aren't following exactly the same protocols, and as such, are stagnant advice forums or "progress" threads. Like this one used to be, before people started trolling.

I'll be banned soon enough, probably.
    +1
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Banning prominent heretic’s such as Derp, j3nn et. al., is bad for the business since it will generate far less hits to MDA, and Mark is a smart guy, even if he may be wrong about some details about nutrition…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Banning prominent heretic’s such as Derp, j3nn et. al., is bad for the business since it will generate far less hits to MDA, and Mark is a smart guy, even if he may be wrong about some details about nutrition…
    Uh oh. Now Gorbag's committed heresy by questioning the all-powerful one. I mean One. Sorry.

He'll probably get banned, flogged, assassinated, and, worst of all, have his bicep curl video-posting priveleges taken away.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    Good article:

Calling for an End to Nutrition as Religion

Though there are good anecdotal stories in this forum concerning the benefits of a primal/paleo diet, I am uncomfortable with the "cult of personality" around Mark, and the lack of convincing scientific studies that demonstrate what many people in this forum seem to be expecting from it.

I believe a healthy dose of scepticism and questioning of the primal principles is a Good Thing. Anyone else share these feelings, or am I simply an agnostic in a gathering of True Believers?

Don't get me wrong, I am trying to convert some of my personal habits to align with the primal approach that I believe to be well-founded, but I'm not expecting the PB to be a Silver Bullet and I believe we should constructively challenge it.

Thoughts?
    Agnosticate away. I found primal because it basically agreed with most stuff in which I believed. I found Buddhism (as a philosophy, not a religion) for the same reason. IOW, I wasn't really looking for the one true way for everyone ever, I was more looking to see if there was a cohesive way to put together things I already thought were true. Actually, finding primal was even more random than that, and it actually came up on a search of "negative health aspects soy."

Once I started reading the Primal 101 stuff and beyond, it just all made sense. Not 100%, but anyone or anything that agrees with me more than about 80% is something I figure is worth a look.

Constructive challenge is always good, and if you look back at posts of Mark's from 3+ years ago, you'll find that he's changed his position on some things.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The day when you finally climb out of your Starting Strength and Paleo dogmatism, then you will also see things much clearer Rich! You have a long way to walk though, maybe in a couple of decades or so…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The day when you finally climb out of your Starting Strength and Paleo dogmatism, then you will also see things much clearer Rich! You have a long way to walk though, maybe in a couple of decades or so…
    But then I'd need to find a new arch nemesis.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Dunno why the mods decided to jump in now and start trying to force rules, this was a self-moderated forum for the most part, and, despite what some say, is the most civil and intelligent dedicated nutrition forum on the internet by far.
    I did notice that there are some that use sarcasm and humor-like comments in a crude way that results in people feeling insulted... When you aren't used to more (uhm) boisterous forums it's hard to distinguish between rudeness and the weird way people think and type in general but mean well... I saw there were complaints...

anyway, back to the topic...
    - Mark had a brilliant brain wave when he came up with PB. I believe his idea is very close to the reality of what we have learned from science but that doesn't make him god... I mean he looks like Adonis but that surely doesn't make him one..
    However he does have godly powers... just look at all the people he made healthy with just one thought!!!!!
    Maybe we should start the cult thing....

and besides there is nothing wrong with a cult or being a part of it as long as it makes you happy and as long as you maintain your own free will!!!

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I fixed the first paragraph of the article….

Q: "How can you tell if your friend is on a VEGAN/VEGETARIAN diet?"
    A: "They'll tell you."
    And probably more than once. Same joke goes for paleo, low-carb, vegan and pretty much any organized dietary strategy that has a defining name and movement behind it.

I’ve been eating gluten-free and paleo for quite some time, and with the exception of my wife and daughter, nobody knows it. Not one other person. Even when people ask me questions I don’t tell them. I just say I lift weights once in a while, go for daily walks, and don’t eat processed foods.

As far as treating this like a religion and/or cult, Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf have both stated many times they hate that.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The mega thread was the one that was locked, broham. No one was even shitposting in it. It had 95 pages. Most discussion of Peat comes when someone starts spouting dogmatic BS about fruit and sugar. That's more of what Neck is talking about, and we usually just debate our points of view. Not my fault it gets ugly, but it's never that bad. Except that one topic yesterday.
    That was obviously the catalyst, and in my time at this site the absolute WORST thread ever. I mean that was just ugly. Each post just created this sound in my head over and over.... Sound Cat Fight (Gatos lucha) - YouTube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast