Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast Cancer Awareness Month page

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Primal Fuel
    I dread Breast Cancer Awareness month. My work sponsors lots of events to support it, from corporate walks, to raffles, to fund raising breakfasts, etc. Inevitably someone will come around and ask me if I want to buy raffle tickets. I haven’t really found a way to politely decline from participating. I just say, “No, thanks” and leave it at that, but I can’t help but think that people wonder why I won’t contribute to such a “worthy cause”. I certainly don’t want to give them a spiel about how I don’t support big pharma and the money making machine that cancer “awareness” has become, about how I can’t get behind an event for cancer that is sponsored by such companies as Yoplait and Carl’s Jr. (seriously!!) and promotes more mammograms more often, which can actually cause cancer and offer very little in the way of early detection. If breast cancer awareness had ANYTHING to do with promoting prevention by the way of a real foods diet, I’d be behind it 100%.
    Does anyone else have to deal w/similar promotions at their job? If so, how do you deal with it?

It just seems that people don’t want to hear that the food we put into our body every day has the ability to hurt or heal us. I recently received a Change.org email asking me to sign a petition for a woman whose husband has cancer, with the hopes of getting him access to a new drug that is still undergoing clinical trials. They view this drug as their last hope. I wanted to let this woman and her family know that this drug was NOT their last and only hope. I couldn’t find any way to send an email, so I signed the petition and then gave my “reason” for signing, in which I talked about the healing power of a real foods ketogenic diet, about how sugar feeds cancer, and that they have NOTHING to lose by changing her husband’s diet now, that it will only give him a better chance of survival. I linked a few articles – one from Dr. Mercola about the importance of a ketogenic diet for cancer and another recent one that was posted on Robb Wolf’s blog about someone who shrank their tumor by switching to a paleo diet.
    The reasons with the most likes are the ones at the top of the list on the website, and I was hoping that my reason would get enough likes to be visible, but it quickly fell down the list. I have no way of knowing if this woman ever saw my message, but it really got to me that of all the people signing the petition and reading the reasons, that nobody would like a message that says you don’t have to rely on drugs and pharmaceutical companies and petitions in order to have a chance to beat cancer and to survive. That it’s as simple as the food that you put into your body every day.

So frustrated.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    AMEN, SISTER!!!

I don't support any of it either and I'm a breast cancer survivor. I just can't bring myself to contribute to a cause that does not want to 'cure' breast cancer. There's just too much money involved for anyone to want to 'cure' cancer.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I refuse to do a damn thing for any health related "awareness." Will I make sure those around me know the best way to do a self check and what to ask for at an annual? You betcha. If asked, will I expound on dietary measures that couldn't hurt and might help? Of course. But I'm not putting money in a profit machine. I refuse to go red, go pink, or have anything to do with Komen. I want my money to go to a cure, which is why I'm very particular on who and what my charitable dollars go to. Awareness does nothing if there is no reasonable cure.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I feel your pain. It seems my office is always running some kind of benefit for the American Heart Association. When they stop telling people to switch out their butter for margarine, maybe I'll consider participating...

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Awareness does nothing if there is no reasonable cure.
    That's an excellent point. What does awareness of breast cancer actually look like? You get your breasts checked for lumps a few times a year. So if they do find something, they can give you treatment straight away, and "catch" the caner.

A condition called oestrogen dominance makes women twice as likely to get breast cancer, and three times as likely to get uterine cancer. The best breast cancer awareness would be to campaign against the contraceptive pill.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    The best breast cancer awareness would be to campaign against the contraceptive pill.
    Well then I'm doing my part by pulling out!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I can see it now... "Come on her belly! Um. For breast cancer..."
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Always the dedicated public servant, Rich.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I don't support any of it either and I'm a breast cancer survivor. I just can't bring myself to contribute to a cause that does not want to 'cure' breast cancer. There's just too much money involved for anyone to want to 'cure' cancer.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    A condition called oestrogen dominance makes women twice as likely to get breast cancer, and three times as likely to get uterine cancer. The best breast cancer awareness would be to campaign against the contraceptive pill.

And promote the use of iodine!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Ha!

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

And promote the use of iodine!!

Ha!
    Iodine? I have been waiting and watching for three years for even a mention of vitamin D, during October . Iodine, that's just crazy talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast