Thread: Anyone else doing Kharrazian's Program for Thyroid? page

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Anyone else doing Kharrazian's Program for Thyroid?

Primal Fuel
    I recently began reading the book by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? when My Lab Tests Are Normal.

For me, this book makes a great deal of sense.

I have decided to take a DIY approach to applying the principles of the book. I am incredibly in tune with my body, so I have a pretty good sense of what I respond well to and vice versa.

I'd like to hear how others have used Dr. K's approach and what worked and what didn't.

Thanks!
    spicegirl

Zach is offline Banned
    Never heard of it, wanna explain the protocol a bit?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend his book and his approach. Chris Kresser's got much of his stuff from Dr. K's seminars as well. Chris Kresser

Its a nuanced approach based on functional medicine testing. It breaks things down into over 20 varieties or categories of hypothyroid based on what those test convey.

Here is his web site Dr. K News

You can DIY, but be careful. Do your homework and make sure you do the testing necessary to come up with a functional diagnosis. From there you can follow the supplement and lifestyle recommendations and monitor your outcomes. If your just not sure at anytime do find a good functional medicine practitioner to work with.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-19-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks Neckhammer. My chiropractor gave me the book. He is not a practitioner, but he promised he'd help me through any sticky spots and to make sure I don't miss anything.

What's wild is I already knew that I responded poorly to every single item on the TH2-dominant list (coffee, green tea, licopene). When I saw that list, I knew immediately I was TH2 dominant. I was relieved to know that I wasn't just hyper-sensitive.

I did order some Apex glutathione cream. I also got the supplement to boost TH1. I really am just feeling my way through as far as these supplements.

The next logical step seems to try the fast he recommends to "unravel" insulin resistance.

For anyone else reading who isn't familiar with the book, Dr. K recommends drinking only lemon and grade b maple syrup (just enough to take the lemon tanginess out) in water for three or more days (yes, like the master cleanse only no cayenne). ALSO, you must sip the drink continuously and not go more than 15 minutes without taking a sip (unless you are sleeping, when your body's metabolic requirements change).

Again, for those not familiar with the book, Dr. Kharrazian is a chiropractor who has studied extensively and written about thyroidism and auto-immune disease (Hashimoto's). What I found to be most fascinating is the way he clearly explains how TH1 and TH2 cells work...or doesn't if you have auto-immune issues. He says that you may be dominant in either TH1 or TH2. He gives a list of foods/herbs/etc. that "support" TH1 and TH2. For me, everything on the TH2 list caused my immune system to react. So, I need to boost TH1. This is a layman's explanation. For a much better explanation, you might check out ovitaminpro.

If I understand it correctly, once you balance out TH1 and TH2, you should have less reactivity to foods on your dominant side.

I'm really interested to hear from anyone who tried the fast to combat insulin resistance. I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about more in these circles.

Thanks!
    sg

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Hey spicegirl! Do you have hashimotos?

I came across Dr K this past February and realized that I am mostly likely Th1 dominant... I have type 1 diabetes and hashimotos which are both listed as Th1 dominant autoimmune diseases. At the time I was eating a lot of mushrooms and I was feeling horrible. I tried taking chlorella previously and stopped because I didn't feel good after a while on it.

You said that you are th1 dominant but listed that coffee and green tea don't agree with you. I thought those were listed as things to boost Th2 and therefore would help. I haven't read the book but I understand the premise of it.

In the past 2 days I have decided to get stricter with paleo, meaning no cheats and as close to the autoimmune protocol as I can. I'm not giving up eggs, coffee or stevia though. I'm going to do this in hopes of lowering my thyroid antibodies. I'm also going to be starting low dose naltrexone for hashimotos within the month. It's works to modulate the immune system. LDN is used in doses of 50mg to treat drug addiction and alcoholism. For autoimmune diseases small doses of 1.5-4.5 mg are taken at night. It's closes of the opioid receptors for a few hours at night and that increases endorphins for the rest of the time. That's just the gist of it though.

I'm interested to see how Dr K's protocol works out for you! What's the deal with the drink? Is that to clear your system to figure out if you are Th1 or Th2 dominant?

Hi Brooke,

I am TH2 dominant (that's what I posted), so yeah, coffee, green tea, etc. whack out my system.

I'm familiar with LDN. I gave it a really brief try about two years ago. I didn't stay with it. It seems extreme for me, given my Hashi's isn't out of control. If I remember correctly, it can have some bizarre effects on your dreams and sleep. I'm interested in hearing your results.

Regarding the drink...are you talking about the lemon/maple thing? That is supposed to help unravel insulin resistance. I'm interested in trying it, but any kind of sugar (or too many carbs) really affect my mood, so I'm a little concerned about fasting on that. But, his info has been spot-on for me so far. I may take a chance on the fast.

Good luck with LDN. Oh, and sticking with the primal diet is crucial for me. I do so so so much better on it.

Cheers!
    sg

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hear it can make you have vivid dreams. I'm antsy about trying it. Did you find a doc to prescribe it or did you order online? I'm most likely going to order online myself as I've yet to find a doc near me to prescribe it though.

That's interesting about that drink helping with insulin resistance. Let me know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Yeah, I hear it can make you have vivid dreams. I'm antsy about trying it. Did you find a doc to prescribe it or did you order online? I'm most likely going to order online myself as I've yet to find a doc near me to prescribe it though.

That's interesting about that drink helping with insulin resistance. Let me know how it works for you.
    Hi Brooke,

Sorry for the delayed response. RE: the LDN, I have a doc who prescribed it. He's pretty open minded and trusts me, so I presented the info to him and he went along with it. I didn't want to go that route though, I was more interested in healing the root causes than adding a prescription.

I've not done the protocol for insulin resistance yet.

-sg