Thread: I'm confused! page

Grok 'n Roll is offline Junior Member

I'm confused!

Primal Fuel
    So, I've been listening to the audio version of the PB, which I'm enjoying. I've gone through it a few times now and I'm still picking up new info everytime. What I am confused about is the following;

Mark speaks about the effect of carbs on our insulin levels, also on our blood glucose levels, that being excessive carbs cause an increase in blood glucose levels, which triggers the pancreas to secrete high levels of insulin to remove the potentially toxic glucose from our blood stream. Good old pancreas. He states that if our stores are full of glycogen then the excess glucose is converted to triglycerides and subsequently stored as fat. If this pattern continues our fat stores swell and we gain wait. Makes sense to me.

I got linked to the following in another thread I posted;

Excess Protein and Fat Storage - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

In this he states the following;

Let me put this in perspective. Despite a lot of claims to the contrary, the actual conversion of carbohydrate to fat in humans under normal dietary conditions is small approaching insignificant (a topic I discussed at least briefly in Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation).

Make no mistake, the conversion of carbs to fat (a process called de-novo lipogenesis or DNL) can happen but the requirements for it to happen significantly are fairly rare in humans under most conditions (to discuss this in detail would require a full article, interested readers can search Medline for work by Hellerstein or Acheson on the topic).

At least one of those is when daily carbohydrate intake is just massive, fulfilling over 100% of the daily maintenance energy requirements. And only then when muscle glycogen is full. For an average sized male you’re looking at 700-900 grams of carbohydrate daily for multiple days running.

Now, Mark talks about excessive carbohydrates being somewhere above 300 grams for your average person, so I'm thinking that 300 grams plus and the glucose that once was carbs, will be turned to try's and subsequently fat.

I should also state that the author of the above does mention that if you consume fewer carbs your body will use fat for fuel, if you eat more carbs it will use that for fuel and not fat. Additionally if you eat carbs and fat in excessive quantities you will end up storing the fat.

I'm just a bit confused by it all!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You understand that Lyle targets a class of athletic people who lift heavy weights and Mark targets a class of people who have metabolic syndrome, right? Also, you saw that qualifier in Lyle's quote, right? "under normal dietary conditions" What does that actually mean?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Grok 'n Roll is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You understand that Lyle targets a class of athletic people who lift heavy weights and Mark targets a class of people who have metabolic syndrome, right? Also, you saw that qualifier in Lyle's quote, right? "under normal dietary conditions" What does that actually mean?
    I have no knowledge of the fella, other than someone from here linked me to his site and I would give a reasonable amount of trust to someone coming here, not linking me to someone who would post nonsense, that's about all I knew about him!

Sometimes I think to myself that I'll believe what I want and to hell with everyone else