Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aesthetics inspired. Looking for a good bodyweight workout that's better... page

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member

Aesthetics inspired. Looking for a good bodyweight workout that's better...

Primal Fuel
    than Simplefit. I'm on the fence about buying P90X. I just have the pull up/dip station. Don't have dumbbells and no yoga mat. I did find a guy selling P90X the whole thing for $40 in my local Internet ads. I do like the results you get from P90X when you are fully committed to it. But not sure how you guys feel about P90X overall.

I do want to obtain that beachbody look though. I know it's 90% of what you eat. I LOVE eating Primal. I have my diet squared away.

In case you are wondering I am 5'7" tall and weigh 185 pounds. With a BMI of 29.1. Yeah I want to go back to 150 pounds. i have that skinny fat look.

I don't have the funds every month or the time to go to the gym. Also I will be moving an apartment soon. It will be on the bottom floor :-)

Does anyone know of a good bodyweight workout program that is all your own body or has little equipment with it?

I have heard of Convict Conditioning and You are your own gym. I am a fitness fanatic. But the only one that I know of that have had good testimonials is P90X and Insanity. I do want to get stronger and have that beachbody at the same time. Is this possible? What do you recommend? Thank you for your time

Zach is offline Banned
    Just do calisthenics. You dont need any gimmics, a pullup bar and the floor is all you need. Pushups, pullups, handstands, planches, levers, planks, bridges, pistols, etc.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    What you have is basically all I use. I do have some free weights and dumbbells which is a big bonus.

You say you don't have funds for the gym but for a small investment I'd suggest you make yourself a Dip/Chin up belt, even if you don't have any weights to hang from it you can still use large water bottles etc and thread the chain through the handles to use as weight. Progressively adding weight to your chin ups and dips will definitely help create the upper body you want.

Here is a link to a homemade dip/chin belt, I think mine cost about $12 total.

RossTraining.com Blog

And a good article:

Q&A: Bodyweight Training For Muscular Strength And Size | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    What you have is basically all I use. I do have some free weights and dumbbells which is a big bonus.

You say you don't have funds for the gym but for a small investment I'd suggest you make yourself a Dip/Chin up belt, even if you don't have any weights to hang from it you can still use large water bottles etc and thread the chain through the handles to use as weight. Progressively adding weight to your chin ups and dips will definitely help create the upper body you want.

Here is a link to a homemade dip/chin belt, I think mine cost about $12 total.

RossTraining.com Blog

And a good article:

Q&A: Bodyweight Training For Muscular Strength And Size | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye
    Ps. Forget the P90X and other similar crap, they are just fad programs trying to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

clewis217 is offline Junior Member
    I had a few people I know that have tried Insanity including myself and saw great results. If you're looking for something that doesn't require a whole lot of equipment, I suggest trying out Insanity.
    223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

Rosstraining.com. ross has some amazing ideas and great books

Madbarz.com. click on "routines"

Beastskills.com. jim has excellent ideas and tutorials.

This should be more than enough to get you started

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hi fitnessfinatic,

I've done p90x. My take is that unless your already pretty fit, it's very tough to do the whole program. Your talking workouts of up to 90 minutes in length, 6 days a week for 12 weeks. To get and keep the look you want really doesn't require any equipment. I'm able to keep fit and lean by doing high volume push-ups, pull-ups (so ok you will need a door frame pull-up bar), and body weight squats.
    Try that for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    Good luck

Drmike is offline Member
    You are your own gym is all you need. It got me better results then P90x in half the time and I have stuck with it for over a year and a half. I can't imagine doing P90x over and over and over again. Plus it's loaded with all kinds of isolation moves like curls and kickbacks its a bit too much

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    will your apartment have a workout room with weights? If it does you can supplement that with P90X. I think P90x is a good stamina builder. I have my own weight machine and free weights that I can mix in with the the program. If you're wanting to build muscle the most efficient way is with HIT weight training but you want to be careful because it's easy to overtrain if you are doing a solid HIT program.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by clewis217 View Post
    I had a few people I know that have tried Insanity including myself and saw great results. If you're looking for something that doesn't require a whole lot of equipment, I suggest trying out Insanity.
    I was very interested in Insanity. But what stopped me from getting it was the fact that I saw it more as a conditioning fitness program than a getting stronger fitness program. I want to get stronger and lose the fat at the same time instead of just losing the fat. I could be wrong though. Please let me know if I am or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    Hi fitnessfinatic,

I've done p90x. My take is that unless your already pretty fit, it's very tough to do the whole program. Your talking workouts of up to 90 minutes in length, 6 days a week for 12 weeks. To get and keep the look you want really doesn't require any equipment. I'm able to keep fit and lean by doing high volume push-ups, pull-ups (so ok you will need a door frame pull-up bar), and body weight squats.
    Try that for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    Good luck
    What is considered high volume? Anything over 100 reps? I have looked into doing high volume push ups, pull ups and squats. But everywhere I turned to it kept saying it only builds endurance. You will look more like a marathon runner instead of a sprinter. I would love to crank out 500 push ups and get that ripped aesthetic look from doing high volume exercises.

How has it worked out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike View Post
    You are your own gym is all you need. It got me better results then P90x in half the time and I have stuck with it for over a year and a half. I can't imagine doing P90x over and over and over again. Plus it's loaded with all kinds of isolation moves like curls and kickbacks its a bit too much
    When did you start to notice results with the YAYOG program? That would be great if I can get better results and in half the time with YAYOG instead of P90X. Do you have negatives with this program?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast