Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Aesthetics inspired. Looking for a good bodyweight workout that's better... page 6

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Yep, completely depends on goal. I like to lift for the fun of lifting. I would never subject myself to such a program.

Even before the invent of steroids though, all the strongmen lifted very frequently (daily).

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, I think the concept of HIT is a better idea than the Nautilus machines ever were.
    Depends on the movement for me. On some things I think free weights are way better, squats over the leg press. On other stuff I think machines are way better, leg extensions for example. Nautilus was good machines in their day. The best machines I've ever been on were Home - Exerbotics Strength Systems. Exerbotics gives the ideal variable resistance that Nautilus dreamed of Exerbotics - YouTube. The harder you push/resist the harder the machines push back against you.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Depends on the movement for me. On some things I think free weights are way better, squats over the leg press. On other stuff I think machines are way better, leg extensions for example. Nautilus was good machines in their day. The best machines I've ever been on were Home - Exerbotics Strength Systems. Exerbotics gives the ideal variable resistance that Nautilus dreamed of Exerbotics - YouTube. The harder you push/resist the harder the machines push back against you.
    Sound like some of the isokinetic exercise machine that I had to use in the early eighties, no eccentric resistance and the variable push back that you describes! I hated those machines and I preferred to do ordinary barbell squat instead of the isokinetic squat machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sound like some of the isokinetic exercise machine that I had to use in the early eighties, no eccentric resistance and the variable push back that you describes! I hated those machines and I preferred to do ordinary barbell squat instead of the isokinetic squat machine...
    I've used enough different machines over the years that I can tell pretty quickly if it's effective. I haven't used their squat machine but I'd prefer a barbell. I have used the leg press and loved it. At peak contraction I was doing nearly 1000lbs...on the bench 460+lbs. The machines are set up to do 2 sets of 8 reps. That last rep doesn't come soon enough. I loved the machines...but maybe I'm a bit of a masochist .

In my day I went for the bulk and strength. Today, I would not. I think your far better off staying within an ideal strength to body ratio that allows for more agility and stamina. Pumping iron 5-6 days per week in a gym doesn't leave much time for outside the gym specific agility training, even if that training is running and tossing a Freebie back and forth with a friend.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Zach is offline Banned
    Pumping iron 5-6 days per week in a gym doesn't leave much time for outside the gym specific agility training, even if that training is running and tossing a Freebie back and forth with a friend.
    Only if you have a shit job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Only if you have a shit job.
    Try being married with kids in addition to the job that you have to commute to. In my 20s I had a lot more time and freedom because I was single. Back then my job was oilfield which meant being outside in Texas summers all day and then going to workout at the gym. I know guys who go to the bar and drink after work so I'll give the guys a head's up who'd rather spend that time in the gym for the same social interaction.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    even relative to body weight using the barbell exercises as the measure of practical strength creates an unwarranted prejudice toward the heaviest possible build.

being short is an advantage because you do less work moving the bar a shorter distance.
    adding maximum lean weight makes you shorter for your weight.

this height bias is reversed in many, probably most practical activities.

the 6-6 200 pounder won't compete with the 5-6 200 pounder at squatting but he can very probably punch harder, throw farther,
    jump higher, etc

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    I'd not seen those Exerbotics machines before, they look awesome !

These X Force also look pretty neat,

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456