Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aesthetics inspired. Looking for a good bodyweight workout that's better... page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    But thats not oldschool...
    It's even pre-oldschool Zach, before the invention of sets, strength trainees used one set per exercise to failure, until they figured out that they got better results by doing multiple sets per exercise, and then later on came a certain India… eh, Arthur Jones to tell people that they’ll better go back to one set to failure again…
    Last edited by Gorbag; 09-19-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Zach is offline Banned

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    But thats not oldschool...

Whats your current weekly exercise regime?
    I currently work each body part roughly once every 8 days, it's not ideal but due to my work schedule it's the best I can do.

The most sets I'd do for a body part would be around 5, the least I do is usually 2.

My chest workout this week was:

Neck Dips ( These are regular dips but with the weight around my neck rather than my waist, this tilts my body forward putting more emphasis on the pecs ): 8 reps with 55lbs, 6 reps with 55lbs.
    Lying Dumbbell presses: 1 set only: 50 lb DB's- Didn't count reps but did so many from the stretch position up to halfway, then so many from halfway to the top position, then some more from stretch to halfway again, maybe around 7 reps in each part of the set.

Biceps was 2 sets:

Dumbbell curls ( 35 lb DB's ) You curl the dumbbells up half way and hold for 10 seconds, the next 10 seconds you curl as normal, next 10 it's a hold again, next 10 reps again and so on....this is repeated till you can't hold the DB's in the halfway point any longer despite your best effort or you can't squeeze out anymore full reps. I use my phone with a Tabata timer ap to pace myself.

Hammer curls using thick rope threaded through a 50 lb Kettlebell: Same rep scheme as the DB curls above.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 09-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I did p90x. It was so time consuming and definitely not primal.

Resistance bands are a good option for home gym (and traveling) in addition to body weight exercises.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    You arent a HIT fanatic, are you?
    Wut?
    No such thing!
    Rational people do the exercise program with the best cost/benefit ratio, HIT.

xfit fantics? everywhere
    SS fanatics? redundant
    HIT fanatics? inconceivable

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Wut?
    No such thing!
    Rational people do the exercise program with the best cost/benefit ratio, HIT.

xfit fantics? everywhere
    SS fanatics? redundant
    HIT fanatics? inconceivable
    Unless thy actually like to lift or want to get as strong as possible.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    da troof.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    = fanatics

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes “HIT” can be difficult to discern from ordinary volume training, typically when a HIT guy does let’s say 7 sets to failure on 7 different exercises. Yep, only 7 sets to failure, but for each of those sets he also did 3-4 “warm-up sets”, pyramiding up the weight…

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sometimes “HIT” can be difficult to discern from ordinary volume training, typically when a HIT guy does let’s say 7 sets to failure on 7 different exercises. Yep, only 7 sets to failure, but for each of those sets he also did 3-4 “warm-up sets”, pyramiding up the weight…
    That's true, I believe that is what the late great Mike Mentzer was known to do.

I will only do a few reps of an exercise as a warm up, just to ' grease the groove ' so to speak. If you are performing your reps slowly and strictly then there is no real reason to perform multiple warm up sets. If I do a set and manage 8 reps then the first 7 of those were my warm up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast