Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Madam von Sassypants page

Cool Primal Journal - Madam von Sassypants

Primal Fuel
    Annnnnd... BAM! I've gone from a long time lurker (2+ years) to an actual, real live Forum member and poster. Post author? Postee. Writer! Person that is here, enthusiastically clacking away on a keyboard away about her primal experience.

I've grown more lax with my primal living in recent months, exacerbated by a lot of summertime travel and revelry, and after seeing some recent candid shots of myself and not liking them one bit, I decided to button down and get things ship shape once again. My workouts have been great (I can press so much more weight now, guys!), but my diet has been too loosey-goosey, and we all know that's 80% of the game right there.

How about a little back story first?

I began my paleo/primal journey in August of 2011 after hearing so many positive things about it from people I knew in real life and online. The lack of a gimmick or a money-making corporation behind it, and being fueled by sound science finally combined with the real life testimonials to win me over as a convert. At the time I was also attempting to lose 30lbs before I turned 30, which was less than a year away.

Long, passionate story later, I accomplished that goal within 5 months, which was incredible. I had better results than any calorie counting, cardio crashing, constantly craving diet before. Here's the photo proof:
    JulyJanDifference.jpg

The photo from July 2011 was taken on the day of my engagement, so not only did I have a 30th birthday looming, but also my wedding! After that initial weight loss my body naturally settled, and considering I had so many other things to be worried about, and I was still getting compliments and feeling great, I was fine with that. The wedding and our following honeymoon to Italy came and went in a glorious, love-filled blur.

wedding_tough.jpg
    wedding_firstdance.jpg
    italy_beach.jpg
    That there is me, in public, in my first bikini EVER as an adult. HUGE MILESTONE.
    italy_colloseo.jpg

It's been a little over a year since then, and I've more or less maintained the same size. Since I started lifting weights more regularly I decided to forgo any weigh ins as they did nothing but discourage me with a relatively meaningless number, and I've gone off of how I feel, how my clothes fit, and how my workouts were progressing.

One of my biggest challenges is the fact that I work for an amazing craft brewery. Not only do my paychecks come from the production of finely crafted gluten bombs, but I get two free cases a month! That doesn't count the two free pints after every shift, which I very rarely partake in. Before I lived with my husband, I had a stockpile of beer for social events and the like as I rarely drank alone (if I did it was a glass of red wine). But now that we live together, the at-home happy hours are way more frequent than ideal. It doesn't help that he trains and coaches Brazilian Jiu Jitsu multiple days a week and he can get away with a beer or two much more easily. I, on the other hand, have a 2-hour daily commute and squeeze in 2-3 dedicated workouts a week on average. The commute plus a desk job plus the beer equal a very slippery slope for me.

So here I am. Back at 'er.
    This is the game plan that officially began yesterday:

- At least one, if not two, interval sprint sessions a week. I've been doing these somewhat sporadically and need to keep it up more regularly.

- Continue intermittent fasting 5-6 days a week. For me that's a fast from about 9pm to noon, with my first meal during my lunch break, my second near the end of the workday, and dinner around 8pm or so, depending on our schedules.

- No sugar of any kind! Paleo treats 'n cheats, what with their dates or agave nectar or coconut sugar, are not allowed! I'm basically implementing the wonderful 21 Day Sugar Detox as well as Mark's challenge. Plus I've been giving in to the office bowl of chocolate on occasion.

- VERY VERY VERY limited intake of beer. This one is tough because this challenge is falling during a time when I get to BREW MY OWN BEER! Like, it will be on draft in pubs and get a release date and press and everything! Super exciting, but also tough since, this morning for example, I had to taste different types of malted barley to determine what ones I'm using in the recipe. My husband and I also made a mutual deal that if the rare beer is consumed (which will happened on a couple pre-determined dates related to work), the penance is 20 pushups, 10 negative pullups, 15 burpees, and a 1 minute, shoulder-touching plank.

- Get back to yoga. I've neglected it for the past two months and need to get my namaste on.

- 2-3 strength training sessions a week

- More walks, hikes and slow paced movement during my days

GOAL: some inches lost, some energy gained, to see pictures of myself and not feel like I need to drop them into Photoshop first, and to get past the plateau I've been chilling at for the past 18 months.

That's it! Looking forward to finally taking advantage of this community to help me keep myself accountable and get some inspiration! Thanks all.
    Last edited by madamvonsassypants; 09-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.

DAY ONE!

GRUB
    One mug of black coffee

1st meal: Italian Chicken Stew leftovers (a recipe from Everyday Paleo's amazing Italian Cuisine cookbook), with spinach added

2nd meal: two hard boiled, farm fresh eggs, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes from the garden, green olives, olive oil, lemon juice, s&p

Snack: handful of almonds

3rd meal: two all natural chorizo sausages, sauteed zucchini from the garden (with Kerrygold butter and spices), and roasted heirloom tomatoes (I modified this fantastic recipe, swapping out the bread crumbs for almond flour)

aaaaand lots of water.

WOD
    Mobility warmup
    7 sets of interval sprints, 20-30 seconds on, 30-40 seconds off, at 8.5-9.2mph
    Weighted lunges, supine overhead presses, good mornings with the barbell, deep squats with combined barbell curls, 12# dball slams

NOTES
    Felt the predictable slight headache from no sugar most of the day. It went away with my after-work WOD.
    Last edited by madamvonsassypants; 09-25-2013 at 09:28 AM.

DAY TWO

GRUB
    One mug of black coffee
    Roughly a 1/4 cup of plain and dry malted barley (reason listed above: testing malts to go in my upcoming beer for work)

1st meal: burger patty with 2 slices of bacon and a few blue cheese crumbles, fresh tomato and greens with a homemade vinaigrette, and one big ol' pickle spear

2nd meal: two hard boiled eggs, leftover sauteed zucchini, and leftover roasted heirloom tomatoes

3rd meal: Czech Meatballs, one of my favorite go-to recipes from my favorite paleo cookbook, Well Fed (this time I added sliced bella mushrooms and fresh greens), and roasted heirloom carrots

and plenty of water... I keep a stainless steel water bottle at my desk and usually consume about 4 bottles' worth in a day.

WOD
    45 minutes of much needed flow yoga

NOTES
    Feeling fantastic! No headaches, no cravings. I have lots of energy and feel like I regained that primal living fervor I used to have. I think this outlet helps.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    love your posting name! Stay sassy and we'll ALL follow! Good luck with your journey...

Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    love your posting name! Stay sassy and we'll ALL follow! Good luck with your journey...
    Thank you! I think my genes express an excess of sass.

DAY THREE

GRUB
    My husband had the day off of work and he surprised me by making breakfast! So no intermittent fast today. It's funny, I get hungrier on the days I eat on a "regular" schedule like this one.

1st meal: a big pile of mixed greens, two eggs sunny-side-up, five strips of bacon, and cherry tomatoes from the garden. Also 2 mugs of coffee with coconut milk.

2nd meal: leftovers! Yesterday's Czech meatballs with mushrooms and spinach, and roasted heirloom carrots.

Snack: granny smith apple from the family orchard with a couple tablespoons of sunflower seed butter.

3rd meal: two all natural chorizo sausages, half an avocado, a sliced fresh tomato, and roasted lemon broccoli.

Unplanned Indulgence: my sister was feeling the post-breakup blues, and she drove an hour to our house in the evening for "cocktail hour," which was a bit unexpected. I ended up having a few sips (and the olives) from a straight gin-and-olive-juice martini, and two glasses of fabulous red wine. I felt guilty at first, but she really needed the evening and conversation, and I am now skipping the planned alcohol over the weekend for that night, which is a worthy trade IMO.

WOD
    Took a 30 minute, sunny riverside walk during my lunch break at work (including a barefoot beach walk), and then walked the neighborhood with my husband for 45 minutes or so in the evening. More mellow than planned due to the aforementioned sister's visit.

NOTES
    Eating breakfast at the normal time definitely makes me hungrier in the afternoon. Intermittent fasting from roughly 8pm-noon is so much easier for me on weekdays, and I'm glad to be back on that schedule for Day Four. Also I now have two events in the next few days that involve free pizza, so I am NOT looking forward to avoiding those. Eating ahead of time and using my mouth for conversation rather than a food door are my plans for attack.

zinnia is offline Member
    I also find that eating breakfast makes me hungrier the rest of the day. I've always been a breakfast person (even when eating low carb and/or primal) and I just started IFing a couple of weeks ago. This revelation has been quite the surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
    I also find that eating breakfast makes me hungrier the rest of the day. I've always been a breakfast person (even when eating low carb and/or primal) and I just started IFing a couple of weeks ago. This revelation has been quite the surprise.
    Agreed! I was religious about breakfast. Somehow the hunger I have in the morning during IF (if there is any) is far less "urgent" seeming than it is in the afternoon/evening. Overall though I feel so much better when I regularly IF. I usually do it 5-6 days a week.

DAY FOUR

GRUB
    One mug of black coffee

1st meal: amazing sandwich on homemade G/F bread with turkey, bacon, avocado, lettuce, red cabbage, tomato, and mustard.

2nd meal: two soft boiled eggs, leftover roasted broccoli, and green olives.

Snack: citrus kombucha and a few coconut flakes

3rd meal: PALEO PAD THAI with chicken. This is one of my favorite recipes and it was a great way to use up almost all of the remaining zucchini from our garden.

WOD
    It was a crazy busy day, but I managed to get out in the waning summer's sunshine and walk for 30 minutes during my lunch.

NOTES
    We had a friend spend the night with us and I treated her to the paleo pad thai. She's been an off-and-on paleo/primal eater, and she went absolutely nuts for this recipe, heaped up on seconds, and begged for the recipe. That is probably the best way to convert someone skeptical about living primally-- just show them how good this food can be.

Also, we attended a pre-comicon event at a bar tonight that featured an abundance of free pizza from a celebrated local pizza joint. Thanks to eating that pad thai ahead of time, avoiding it was no problem.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DAY FIVE

GRUB
    1st meal: scrambled eggs with fresh tomato, a couple slices of bacon, and a couple slices of fresh peach, with an americano with heavy cream

2nd meal: homemade, baked sweet potato chip strips (peel slices with veggie peeler, toss in coconut oil, sea salt, cinnamon, and black pepper, cook at 375 for 20 minutes)

3rd meal: roasted cauliflower soup with avocado, chives, and crumbled bacon

Indulgence: one beer

WOD
    Saturday metabolic conditioning! My biggest workout of the week, usually. An hour-long workout that includes a lot of mobility warmups and bodyweight training followed by heavy lifting. I KICKED THE ASS OF MY DEADLIFT PR! Haven't tested it thoroughly in a while (I tend to get nervous once I get to higher weights and worry about hurting myself, especially my lower back). Previous 1 RPM was 175lbs, and today I did 5 reps at 178lbs. BAM!

NOTES
    On Saturday mornings I join my husband at his jiu jitsu gym for their metabolic circuit conditioning class. Our friend teaches it and we know almost everyone there, and it's likely one of my favorite hours of the week, let alone the toughest workout.

This is also our first weekend practically all summer that we aren't out of town, going to fifty events, or slaving away in the yard. Once we were done our workout this morning, followed by a series of errands, we came home, threw on comfy clothes, camped out in front of books, TV, and/or computer screens, and welcomed the fresh fall rain. We're doing the same tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED. Even Grok needs refresh days at home, right?
    Last edited by madamvonsassypants; 09-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast