Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth: how important is it to use grass-fed bones? page

howardroark is offline Member

Bone broth: how important is it to use grass-fed bones?

Shop Now
    I am usually able to find grass-fed beef in my area, but I don't have a good source of bones from grass-fed cattle. However, I want to make bone broth. How important is it that the bones are from a grass-fed source? Should I just make chicken bone broth instead if no GF bones are available?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'd make the broth with whatever the best bones you can get are. Even feedlot cattle make most of their bone tissue during their time on milk and grass.

Willsellout is offline Junior Member
    It's not overly important. Use whatever you can find. Are grass fed bones better? Sure, and If you have access to them, use them. If you don't, use what you do have access to. You can also order grassfed bones online if you were so inclined.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think I'd almost rather go the gelatin route (if you can find gelatin from grass fed cows) than eat anything from CAFO beef. While many companies write, "hormone free" on chicken and pork, if you check out the USDA website, you'll find that it's not legal to give chicken and pork hormones, so all chicken/pork could have that label.

Because we are such big beef consumers and because the large fast food chains purchase so much beef, I think CAFO beef is nasty. Somewhere online (maybe youtube) is a video of a cow sick enough to fall being prodded to stand and walk to slaughter while the USDA inspector stood and watched - it's dirty business. And if the hormones and subtherapeutic antibiotics weren't enough, they eat GMO feed. I love beef, but honestly if CAFO were all that was available to me, I'd become a pescatarian. Fish head soup/broth would be awesome.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've made broth with both. I bought some CAFO bones from our local butcher for $2. Wonderful joint bones. When I started cooking them my husband complained of the stink greatly. After 3 days I cooled the pot and removed the bones. When it was cool I skimmed off the huge amount of smelly froth on the top and the smell was gone. I think most of the bad chemicals were also gone. The broth was great.

When I make broth with grass-fed bones there is no stink and only a small layer of fat to skim off. IMO the taste is about the same.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

howardroark is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think I'd almost rather go the gelatin route (if you can find gelatin from grass fed cows) than eat anything from CAFO beef. While many companies write, "hormone free" on chicken and pork, if you check out the USDA website, you'll find that it's not legal to give chicken and pork hormones, so all chicken/pork could have that label.

Because we are such big beef consumers and because the large fast food chains purchase so much beef, I think CAFO beef is nasty. Somewhere online (maybe youtube) is a video of a cow sick enough to fall being prodded to stand and walk to slaughter while the USDA inspector stood and watched - it's dirty business. And if the hormones and subtherapeutic antibiotics weren't enough, they eat GMO feed. I love beef, but honestly if CAFO were all that was available to me, I'd become a pescatarian. Fish head soup/broth would be awesome.
    I do have some Great Lakes Gelatin, which I believe is grass-fed. I would absolutely make fish broth (I saw fish bones at Whole Foods), but my significant other hates the smell of fish. I still make salmon around 1x a week, but I'm thinking fish broth would be a totally different story.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Okay, this is completely off-topic but... Howard Roark? Is that a reference to Ayn Rand's book?? If so, you got taste
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Okay, this is completely off-topic but... Howard Roark? Is that a reference to Ayn Rand's book?? If so, you got taste
    Was thinking the same thing. Great book. Even the movie was decent.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardroark View Post
    I do have some Great Lakes Gelatin, which I believe is grass-fed. I would absolutely make fish broth (I saw fish bones at Whole Foods), but my significant other hates the smell of fish. I still make salmon around 1x a week, but I'm thinking fish broth would be a totally different story.
    Do you have a garage or an outdoor workshop or space that you could put a slow cooker in? I think many moons ago I read that someone here did that for broth because s/he didn't like the smell in the home for 24+ hours.

p.s. Howard was cool. My fave, though was Ragnar Danneskjold (sp?). Gotta love a pirate.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skotcharu View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Great book. Even the movie was decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

p.s. Howard was cool. My fave, though was Ragnar Danneskjold (sp?). Gotta love a pirate.
    The movie wasnt the worst... But I loved the book. Tragic characters, the greatest love story ever written, and I actually learned loads about architeture! Conversations with my dad opened up a lot after my reading that book

Joanie, ashamed to say I havent read "AS" yet. Better or worse than "The Fountainhead"?

I should probably say something about broth but I use freeze dried gelatine so really have nothing to contribute
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast