Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Convincing my girlfriend page

thedouglenz is offline Junior Member

Question Convincing my girlfriend

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello, this is my absolute first time posting to this forum, so please let me know if I do anything wrong or this is in the wrong place!

My girlfriend has been having various health problems in the last few years such as heartburn, bloating, stomach pain, etc.. A lot of digestive problems. I think what we've all discovered here, the primal lifestyle, could be of tremendous help to her!

She won't give me the time of day to discuss it with her. To her, it's as though I'm trying to sound like a health know-it-all. She'll listen on if I'm talking about something profound I learned in college related to my major, but she know's I'm not a health expert so she'd rather keep seeing her doctors, who -- by the way-- have yet to successfully aide her in restoring her digestive problems. They just keep tossing around medical terminology and sending her different places to get tests! Then she goes home only to receive a phone call stating that the test result were OK!

Myself, I feel morally obligated to share this with her. She wouldn't make it all the way through Mark's book, because even Mark uses technical language that just wouldn't fly with her.

Does anyone have suggestions or ways that they successfully shared the primal lifestyle with your loved ones or those you care about?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Just be an example and let her come to you. Back off 100%. Eat delicious, nutritious food in front of her and keep your mouth shut about why. She'll come along. I've "converted" 2 ladies with this method over the past several years.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    +1 to rich mahogany.

my son introduced me to mda. I wasn't a hard-sell because i had noticed that my long standing vegetarian diet had left me with gut issues, low energy and too much "soft-ness." I'm MUCH older than your gf (like, her g'mother's age!), but one thing that convinced me was to look at mark's and carrie's pictures. They walk the talk.

The other thing that helped was the fitness advice, as in "don't do so gd much!"

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I agree with RM. Get a couple of great paleo/primal cookbooks leave them out so she can look at them, but don't say anything, just start cooking!

Cookbooks | PaleoComfortFoods.com
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Never try to convince anyone. You've already blown it since she now sees you as a "know-it-all". She now has to save face by digging in to her position all the harder.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Hahaha convincing a girl to do something she doesn't believe hahahahaha.

Phew. Good luck there.

In all seriousness, just do your thing. If she "thinks up" going primal on her own, she'll do it.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    run. fast and far. if she is close minded about not eating wheat or processed food, imagine how awful she'll be when something serious comes up. this might be a sign...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    ok, you're all right and i was wrong in my advice. (i mean that, no snarkiness involved...). You really can't convince someone who already has pegged the OP as a know it all. The "show" advice (with the envy that will undoubtedly follow) may be headed off with a "but YOU'RE a guy" nonsense. But at least you know something about your gf that you wouldn't know otherwise. Consider yourself warned...

Grokules is offline Junior Member
    Paging Mr.Perfidy...

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    If she is like me you should show her the show doctor Oz did on Paleo eating... He had many questions but it turned to be very convincing. PB isn't as hard to do as Paleo so it might be easier for her...

and of course what Mahogany might work... you cook for her and get her to eat good food...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast