Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enzymes? page

pk79 is offline Member

Enzymes?

Primal Fuel
    Does anybody take digestive enzymes? Can anybody recommend a brand? There's like 40 out there.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf swears by NOW brand superenzymes. Looks like it has everything that's needed for good digestion.

I don't think that these are of any merit unless someone has pancreatic problems and can't synthesize their own. Is that the case with you?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Robb Wolf swears by NOW brand superenzymes. Looks like it has everything that's needed for good digestion.

I don't think that these are of any merit unless someone has pancreatic problems and can't synthesize their own. Is that the case with you?
    My faves are Garden of Life Omegazyme (aka ozyme aka Ωzyme).

Even in the absence of pancreatic problems, I find them helpful when adjusting to significant macronutrient changes - especially when switching from a vegetarian diet. Whenever my somach is 'off', I take 2 enzymes and 2 probiotics.

I bring them when we travel as well.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

venam is offline Member
    Robb Wolf is always talking about NOW Foods Super Enzymes in his podcast.

IMPORTANT: make sure you buy the capsule form, not the tablets. They are a little more expensive but they work much better.

Quote Originally Posted by venam View Post
    Robb Wolf is always talking about NOW Foods Super Enzymes in his podcast.

IMPORTANT: make sure you buy the capsule form, not the tablets. They are a little more expensive but they work much better.
    I'm not loving that formulation for everyone....some may need the HCl but if you're not someone that needs it, taking it isn't a good idea.
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super...sules/857?at=0

This is what I use:
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-...lets/3150?at=0
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-...81-g/3152?at=0

I also keep Glutenease around if there's a possibility (rare) of eating gluten. FE, I used a whole bottle in Italy last year (in addition to other enzymes) and should have brought another bottle
    http://www.iherb.com/Enzymedica-Glut...ules/6279?at=0

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Digestive enzymes are good for things other than a pancreatic condition. I've been battling low stomach acid for a few years (finally getting it under control with the PB thank goodness...but there were times when the combination of a digestive enzyme and an HCL pill...or three. From my research, low stomach acid is way more prevalent than most people realize.

venam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I'm not loving that formulation for everyone....some may need the HCl but if you're not someone that needs it, taking it isn't a good idea.
    I agree with you, you have to try small dosages out first to see how you react. If you get a burning sensation reduce the dosage until you get down to 0 capsules.

I am hoping the OP knows about that.

pk79 is offline Member
    Wow. A lot of responses. You guys are awesome.

Here's my situation- I've been on Prilosec for the last 10 years, and decided to come off it about a month and a half ago. Going through the first 3 weeks was pure hell on my system, but with PB it's helped a good bit. However, I still get the indigestion and heartburn on a regular basis, just not with every meal. And I honestly can't tell if I need HCL or not. When I take HCL, I have gas, but not heartburn. When I don't take it, I don't have the gas, but I have the heartburn. And I tried Digest Gold and I think it actually gave me heartburn, but not too sure about that.

@Fyrespryte- I found a lot of the same info as you about the HCL, but I actually haven't heard about Robb Wolf. How many HCL's did you end up taking? When I first started with them, I kept taking them until I could feel that "warm sensation" everybody talks about, but never ended up feeling it so I eventually stopped. It was getting kind of expensive.

@Cillakat- Does the Omegazyme work for you pretty well? Just curious, how can you tell? Also, does the glutenease work? My wife has figured out she's super sensitive to gluten since starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by pk79 View Post
    Going through the first 3 weeks was pure hell on my system, but with PB it's helped a good bit. However, I still get the indigestion and heartburn on a regular basis, just not with every meal. And I honestly can't tell if I need HCL or not. When I take HCL, I have gas, but not heartburn. When I don't take it, I don't have the gas, but I have the heartburn.
    It's probably reasonable to assume that at this point, the best solution for you may be surgical. Nissen (or similar) fundoplication is an exceptionally effective tx for chronic GERD.

Remember that even though you didn't feel the GERD while on prilosec, it was still happening.....just with a lower, less irritating ph. For 10 years (and probably for many more preceeding the onset of symptoms) your lower esophageal sphincter hasn't worked properly and will likely not ever work properly again......once eslasticity is lost, it cannot be regained (think rubberband, skin elasticity, emphysema).

While I no longer have symptomatic reflux - ie burning....I do have what I call 'asymptomatic symptoms' and will absolutely consider a fundoplication if it's not gone in a year.

Cillakat- Does the Omegazyme work for you pretty well? Just curious, how can you tell?
    I only take it when I'm eating something rather fatty. It's the difference between feeling my food digest properly and leave my stomach, v. feeling full for hours and hours.

Also, does the glutenease work? My wife has figured out she's super sensitive to gluten since starting primal.
    Yes. Very much so. I used it all day every day in Italy last year (3 trips in 17 months) and it worked every time....digestively anyway. I'd start to feel some inflammtion in my joints by the end of each trip.
    Last edited by cillakat; 06-06-2010 at 08:26 AM.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I discovered the book, "Everything You Need to Know About Enzymes," by Tom Bohager, a few months ago:

http://www.iherb.com/Books-Everythin...ook/16502?at=0

It actually only costs $3 at iHerb (hardcover!), and I found it to be an awesome resource -- I highly recommend it to everyone. Bohager makes the case that the human body has only so many digestive enzymes, and that once yours become depleted, this is when aging and death occur. This is related to the claims of the calorie-restriction crowd, that minimizing the amount of food eaten extends lifespan (because fewer enzymes are used up to process this lessened amount of food). In short, Bohager advocates that everyone take enzymes as part of a regimen to promote general health, even if you're not dealing with any particular digestive problem.

A few highlights from this book (from memory):
    -- Plant-based enzymes are preferable to animal-based enzymes (such as ox bile), because the body can use as many of the plant-based enzymes as you happen to consume, but will have problems if you overdo it on the animal-based enzymes
    -- it's important to take a wide cross-section of enzymes, as many different ones are required for complete digestion of various molecules. Enzymedica and other companies produce *blends* of amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase, etc. that include a number of different enzymes in each blend, to maximize food digestion & absorption
    -- The book contains specific recommendations about the strength of each enzyme needed to attain optimal health; Enzymedica's Digest Gold (not coincidentally) contains all of the recommended enzyme blends at the recommended dosages

Disclosure: Bohager is an executive at Enzymedica, one of the premier enzyme companies.

I personally rotate among the following products, depending on what type of meal I'm eating and other factors: (some of these have also been mentioned in previous posts above)

Doctor's Best Digestive Enzymes: (about the same potency as Digest Gold, but costs less than DG; this is my typical go-to enzyme for everyday use with most meals):
    http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-B...e-Caps/12?at=0

Now Foods, Digest Platinum: this is supposed to be similar to Digest Gold (below); I've personally found it to be much more "potent" than Digest Gold.
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Diges...aps/21321?at=0

Enyzymedica's Digest Gold: good formula; seems "mild", from my experience, i.e., no noticeable effects.
    http://www.iherb.com/Enzymedica-Dige...ules/7056?at=0

Now Foods, Super Enzymes (note: contains animal-based enzymes, so I personally use only occasionally):
    I agree with the recommendation to use the capsules instead of the tablets; I didn't know that the capsules are more effective, but the tablets are impossible to swallow! Whenever I take Super Enzymes (or Digest Platinum, above), I have very noticeable digestive "effects." Which I guess is good.
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super...sules/857?at=0

Now Foods, Plant Enzymes (this has only a fraction of the potency of the first 2 listed above; I use with light meals or snacks):
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Plant...Vcaps/726?at=0

Garden of Life, Omegazyme:
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-...lets/3150?at=0

I recommend reading the reviews of each of the above products (within each iHerb link above); I tend to find other peoples' experiences informative for choosing products that seem like they will benefit me. Good luck!
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 10-18-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added info about Digest Platinum product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast