Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which bread/grain type is "better"? page 2

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The best option would be sourdough bread, followed by sprouted grain bread.

If you HAD to choose some type of ordinary store-bought bread, find white bread with as few ingredients as possible. It may not be very nutritious, and it still contains gluten, but you will at least avoid the anti-nutrients and insoluble fiber found in whole wheat.

I do agree with others, though, try adding in potatoes and white rice instead of bread. Don't give them a nutritional explanation, just say you like them more.

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    Wow. I didn't expect so many reactions. Thanks, guys!

Oopsie. Waaay too long post.

There's this bakery in town that bakes bread with spelt, I'll have to see if they have sourdough too. And see if I can buy two and freeze one, so I don't have to bike an hour just to get a loaf of bread. :s

I did try to go sneaky, complaining of bloating and stomach ache. The only response I get is: "Me too. I ate way too much." Blerg. But I'm due to go to my family's physician soon, and I'll just explain it there and ask if I can get a test for celiac or gluten intolerance. (They don't need to know it when/if it comes back negative... but that might get me in trouble later if they find out. So that's not really a good idea, I guess. Nah, let's not do that.)

Whenever I buy white bread, Mom freaks out because there's no fiber in it. There is, but just less than in wheat and whole wheat bread. (she thinks that fiber's the seeds and the pits by the way) And someone always tosses it out after 3 days! (but that goes for all the bread. It gets a bit dry after a few days, but I told them that I put it in the toaster so it doesn't matter for me. But I still have to "save" bread .) But that's an option too, yeah. I like white bread better than the dry whole grain/whole wheat anyway.

But the bottom line should be: I "like" the bread/rice/potatoe/whatever is closest to Primal, so I'll eat it. End of story. They shouldn't want to argue about a personal preference/choice. Hmm... now I think of that, I might just print out information about Paleo (because that doesn't have so much sat fat and stuff, less of a shocker.. and then just add fat to it when they're not paying attention. ) and tell them: "I'd like to try to eat like that, I think it'll make me feel more energetic and more in touch with my emotions. (Mom's afraid I'm blocking my emotions, or shutting myself off from them.) Hey Mom, you were complaining about those 20 kilo's you still need to lose, right? Why not join me, we can make it a competition."
    And then just have a weekly "cheat" day with bread/potatoes. I see a very small chance of it working.

In case you're suggesting switching potatoes for bread in the mornings, that's not going to happen, I'm afraid. One time, I'd bought a small bag of about 4-5 sweet potatoes, and I made them for dinner for two days (On Fridays, we all cook our own dinner and sometimes they eat out together, so I have to cook my own dinner as well.) and I had one left. So I decided to eat it for breakfast on Saturday. Big mistake. I slipped and mentioned it my Mom, and they were both acting like I was crazy.

Mom: "For breakfast?!"
    Me: "Uh, yeah.. There's only one left and I'm going to Dad's for the weekend. I'm afraid it'll go bad if I wait for two days."
    Stepdad: "But a potatoe isn't breakfast! You should eat bread, or cereal!"
    Me: "In America and England it's normal to have a warm breakfast... It's not that strange. And I like warm food."
    Mom (getting a bit angry): "This isn't America. This is The Netherlands. We eat bread for breakfast!"

I still ate it in the morning, and my Mom didn't talk to me at all that morning, before my Dad picked me up. :s
    Things like that make my wonder if I'm just the weird one.
    But my Dad and I had a good laugh about it. He doesn't eat breakfast, apart from on the weekends. He just has some coffee. I think he'd even let me have deserts for breakfast and be fine with it, lol.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Go live with your dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Go live with your dad!
    Haha, wish I could!

But, he has a burn-out and isn't working right now, so me living with him would just cost him extra money (especially if I'd eat Primally, even if it isn't grass-fed). And cause him more stress (not intentionally of course, but it'd take some time to get used to.)

And it isn't that bad at home, with Mom & Stepdad. They're fine with most other things, such as my tattoo and potentially future piercing (they're just CW health-nuts), (Dad's totally against tattoos and tried to guilt-trip me into not taking one by saying that "by taking that tattoo you're showing me that you don't care about my opinion and advise.")... but apart from tats, Dad's open-minded about just anything.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    He doesn't eat breakfast, apart from on the weekends. He just has some coffee.
    Wise dad

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Wise dad
    We always have ribs with BBQ-sauce when I'm there. On Saturdays we always have fries, though. (I still want to invent the offal-equalevant to the "frikandel") Frikandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We always have ribs with BBQ-sauce when I'm there. On Saturdays we always have fries, though. (I still want to invent the offal-equalevant to the "frikandel") Frikandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yeah, I know that stuff, it is called "la fricadelle" in french Better be home-made ...

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    [...] Better be home-made ...
    No such luck. Store-bought bulk-bought from a large shop called "Sligro". It's the shop where snackbars buy their fries and other stuff. (You need a card to get in, haha.)

No such luck. Store-bought bulk-bought from a large shop called "Sligro". It's the shop where snackbars buy their fries and other stuff. (You need a card to get in, haha.)
    Maybe you understand french ? this vid shows a quick coverage done by Belgian tv channel RTBF on the manufacturing of the fricadelle : Fabrication fricadelle - YouTube
    At 1:04mn, you start to see the raw meat material being processed ... the woman says what's in it ... as the French say: "une dégueulasserie!" : all the leftover meat from carcasses, which are cleaned mechanically (dixit this woman, no more details).

It's worth watching even if youdon't understand french ... this factory is producing both fricadelles and hamburger meat. Same shit in both, save for a different set of spices (which they keep secret ...). Some of this crap is fried in vegetable oil, but the meat is pre-cooked in water at 72 deg C for 15mn. The finished product can keep for 8 months ... it is sold in local fast food venues which fry the crap and serve it with less than mediocre french fries ... As I said: better be home made!
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 09-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Ah... I don't understand French at all. I had French for one year, in which the teacher got sick, depressed and was hospitalized. (He's fine now, though.) So, no, no French. But I'll just look and guess what's what. Heehee.

.... Pork and chicken, I assume? (Woman says something like: "Blah blah blah de poire blah blah blah de poule")
    Uh, and a pork and chicken carcass? ??? (yay, calcium! )
    Last edited by The_Introvert_Huntress; 09-20-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast