Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of internet at home page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Getting rid of internet at home

Primal Fuel
    Anyone live without internet at home, or has experimented with it? In today's world I think it's very inconvenient to not use internet at all, but I know that personally I use it way too much. So I came across this idea of just not using it at home. Thoughts?

Killing the Internet at Home Is the Most Productive Thing I’ve Ever Done | The Minimalists

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Surely you were alive before the Internet, right? Oh wow, I guess some people might not have been. That actually shocks me. I remember dial telephones attached to the wall with a cord and getting only 3 channels on the black and white TV and still think that's normal.

What I would like is to rid my home of TV and just have high-speed Internet, but alas corporate monopoly in my area makes that impossible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Live without the internet?!? How would I get on this forum?!?

Hehe... seriously though, I can see how getting rid of the internet could mean greater productivity. I waste a lot of time on forums and youtube videos. But I post my fics on the internet, and that's my main hobby, so getting rid of it would never be an option for me.

Superbeast is offline Member
    Internet is the thing I would NOT want to get rid of!

I can easily live without cable (and would say the same about TV, but the new flat panels make such nice big-screen computer monitors...) and many of the other 'must haves' that people spend big bucks on, but I think Internet is too handy to dispense with. YMMV
    Eat like a Beast, feel like a Beast!
    Eat from a huge bag of processed junk... Well... You know.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    We have already gotten rid of everything else! And what to do when you suddenly have a gardening question?!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I would be more productive without Internet, but at the same time I rely on it a lot too. I can use it on my phone, but I don't pay enough for my phone to get much at all (so I tend to go over or just to the edge of my limit each month). I also find that phone Internet isn't nearly as convenient!

I could do without TV much more easily, but as TV's free and everyone else watches it there's not much point in trying to get rid of it (don't have pay TV and never will).

At the same time, I can definitely see a benefit to reducing my home internet usage. I could switch off my computer wireless for X number of hours a day, and if I really need to look something up I could use the phone. Then I could reconnect the computer once I'd done whatever I needed to get done!

And yes, I lived entirely without Internet for the first 22 years of my life, and for several years after that Internet was only something I had at university or work, not home. When I first got home internet it was dial up, so I wasn't connected 24/7 either... I can't remember when we first got ADSL internet and started having access to it all the time, but it was probably less than 10 years ago (if not by much). It's funny how fast we adapt to new technology, and it becomes hard to imagine living without it!

Geez I've only had a smart phone probably 10 months and I just can't believe how long I survived without it, now it's attached to me like an extra appendage!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It might be a few weeks before people without internet stand from their rice paper mats, pack their belongings into their tan-hide bags and make the arduous trek down the mountain to town and visit the library to post on this thread...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Well, we did have no internet for over a month. We survived it rather well. I just used the computer at work off the clock to pay bills and check Facebook. Still, it's nice to have it at home, especially now that I don't work. As Knifegill said, we've gotten rid of everything else: no tv, no cellphones, and our internet is satellite and slows down (to dial-up speeds) after we use up our 5,000 mb/month (to get more, we have to pay, and we don't do that!). Having limited internet really does help with productivity--it really makes you consider whether or not that youtube video someone linked to is worth watching and using up that precious internet...

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    The internet is a great time filler. You might be bored till you adjust and take up more hobbies
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    The internet is a great mind killer. You might be bored till you adjust and take up more hobbies
    I must not surf the internets. The Internets is the mind killer.
    The internets is the little-death that brings total obliteration!
    I will face the internets.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the internets had gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast