Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of internet at home page 2

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, I moved to a bigger home last christmas and due to some mistakes we didn't have tv or internet for a month. I'll tell you it's good for many things, your relationship (you find yourself in bed early or even spend time really talking), it helps doing things around the house, it helps you getting through your stock of unread books but it bloody boring!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have an old radio that still worked or we would have been cut off from the world completely.

I know I spend too much time on the sofa interneting and watching telly but what would I do with out it. there are only so many times you can clean the house or read a book...

Myrtille is offline Member
    Sometiles I thing of getting rid of internet when my student children will leave home. I already don't have a TV.
    But I think it might be too extreme as well. The best is to have a strong discipline about it, like just once a day for a short time.
    I try to do that anyway but I am not there by now !
    There is a ood book about it by Susan Maushart : the winter of our disconnest. Quite interesting aven if I don't agree with everything she writes.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Well, I moved to a bigger home last christmas and due to some mistakes we didn't have tv or internet for a month. I'll tell you it's good for many things, your relationship (you find yourself in bed early or even spend time really talking), it helps doing things around the house, it helps you getting through your stock of unread books but it bloody boring!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have an old radio that still worked or we would have been cut off from the world completely.

I know I spend too much time on the sofa interneting and watching telly but what would I do with out it. there are only so many times you can clean the house or read a book...
    That's what happened to us. Comcast said they had coverage in our area... only to tell us later that they didn't. So, we were without internet or phone for over a month. I listened to a lot of NPR and got a lot done around the house, which was really good, because there was a lot to get done with our new house. It was a really nice month, though inconvenient, and it really made me realize how much better life is without internet! I make a conscious effort now to turn the thing OFF.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I must not surf the internets. The Internets is the mind killer.
    The internets is the little-death that brings total obliteration!
    I will face the internets.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the internets had gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
    ...that should have been time filler not mind killer. I don't even know how that happened. I blame Swype
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    ...that should have been time filler not mind killer. I don't even know how that happened. I blame Swype
    Lol you had it right, i fixed it for ya when I quoted you

Thought you might have got the movie reference... Oh well, back to my corner now :screwy:
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I don't really see the point in going internet free. Sure it means on weekends I'm inclined to laze around at home, but its enjoyable and my weekdays are productive enough.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I need the internet at home for work, but I do wish I could find a way to tame the beast. I know someone who puts his router in a time lock safe when he needs off-internet time. I use Freedom on my computer- makes it so you can't access the internet for whatever time you set and I used to be good about turning the internet off on my phone and iPad before bed so I wouldn't end up mindlessly surfing in the middle of the night but haven't been as good about that lately...
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    I don't really see the point in going internet free. Sure it means on weekends I'm inclined to laze around at home, but its enjoyable and my weekdays are productive enough.
    Same here.

Also, a few years ago our beloved Lab began acting very strangely one Saturday night. I quickly researched her bahavior & symptoms online and suspected it was stomach torsion. (Which it was.) Had I not been able to look up what she was experiencing online, I would've assumed she just had a tummy bug and waited it out a few hours or so. As it turned out, we brought her to the emergency hospital and our suspcions were confirmed. The vet also told us that had we waited one - two more hours, she may not have lived. So, in essence, the internet (along with the vet, of course) saved our dog's life. Maybe an extreme example, but just one reason I wouldn't want to be without internet access at home.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I live without the following "normal" amenities:

Flush toilet (mine is compost), incandescent light (all oil lamps or candles), television, washer/dryer, dishwasher, central heat or AC, water heater (solar or propane blower), municipal power or water, or cell phone.

And even I have internet.

It provides limitless entertainment, information, sports, and I MUST have it for work. It seems like kind of a cosmetic thing to make it look like one is "simplifying"....for me, that is only possible in one's mind. It is a mentality, not a deprivation exercise.
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you do cancel your internet, make sure to let us know how it goes...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast