Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Shop Now
    Aren't I supposed to feel like crap? What is going on here?! I had eggs and bacon for breakfast, and some tea and a tiny glop of molasses in my coffee. I ate one carrot. I had OMG less than 30 grams of carbohydrate today! And then I ran a mile as a quick fitness test, since I don't normally run but clearly ought to have the capacity. Which I do, and I currently reek of ketones, ha ha. It's coming out of my pores! Should I run farther next time? How far do I have to run before being low-carb makes me fail? Ten miles? Taking bids now...somebody push me!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Dude, one mile is nothing. Try for five next time and work your way up from there.
    I can't believe you are running, btw.

On a more serious note, make sure your electrolytes are balanced before you run. Get plenty of salt and potassium. Ketosis depletes those very fast, as you probably already knew.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Try to do intervall sprinting first for 25 minutes and thereafter run for one hour, five days a week and then we'll talk...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I find that the most energy I have for running comes after having fasted - so if I skip breakfast and lunch and then do an afternoon run or ride, I'm basically on fire for it. Not that I fast a lot, but when I do that's the result.

On a clean primal diet you can do basically jack all in terms of exercise for ages and then still be capable of performing. In evolutionary terms, that's the ideal physiology to have really - you conserve energy for the most part, but you can also 'put the hammer down' at a moments notice. That's why I never really plan any training, I just do is when I feel like it.

Yes, I eat lots of electrolytes daily. I'm prone to cramps, so I usually take 1200mg of magnesium, 800+mg of potassium (via food or supplement), and 1/2 tsp of baking soda daily. And once a week I eat a pound of bacon, which easily has a week's worth of salt, ha ha. Oh, I also often salt my steak with potassium chloride, though I will not replace that once it's gone since I learned about chloride being correlated to high blood pressure, which I have occasionally had. And there's sauerkraut, super salty.

Five miles sounds like a fun benchmark. Then maybe seven.

This isn't to become a habit, I'm just taking the ol' body out for a few spins. I'll never promote running, I just wanted to see this "bonk" that people talk about.

Try to do intervall sprinting first for 25 minutes and thereafter run for one hour, five days a week and then we'll talk...
    I don't know if my CAFO-grown body can ever do that. My joints are pretty floppy, though I do enjoy what sprinting I do from time to time, I am prone to hyperextension and have to be really careful. But, that does sound like a fun standalone challenge sometime. I'll keep it in mind. I suspect that by day three I'd be crying for mommy, though.

I find that the most energy I have for running comes after having fasted - so if I skip breakfast and lunch and then do an afternoon run or ride, I'm basically on fire for it. Not that I fast a lot, but when I do that's the result.

On a clean primal diet you can do basically jack all in terms of exercise for ages and then still be capable of performing. In evolutionary terms, that's the ideal physiology to have really - you conserve energy for the most part, but you can also 'put the hammer down' at a moments notice. That's why I never really plan any training, I just do is when I feel like it.
    That was my mindset when I did this. Honestly, I was just going to walk to the mailbox today, but the weather was perfect and I felt like the carburetor needed some revving.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I don't know if my CAFO-grown body can ever do that. My joints are pretty floppy, though I do enjoy what sprinting I do from time to time, I am prone to hyperextension and have to be really careful. But, that does sound like a fun standalone challenge sometime. I'll keep it in mind. I suspect that by day three I'd be crying for mommy, though.
    “Bonking” or “hitting the wall” due to low glycogen levels is something to try Knifegill! - it's almost an existential experience, so you should try it at least once in a lifetime, just to find out how it really feels...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

But what if I'm too fat-adapted to bonk and just keep smoothly burning fat? Will I have to ramp up the intensity, say run faster, to out-do my energy supply? Clearly sprinting is a good tool for that, so I see where your idea for sprinting before a run comes in. I may try that tomorrow, to find out whether I'm relying on glycogen or am truly more or less glycogen depleted. I normally eat enough protein for gluconeogenesis to occur.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I eat lots of electrolytes daily. I'm prone to cramps, so I usually take 1200mg of magnesium, 800+mg of potassium (via food or supplement), and 1/2 tsp of baking soda daily. .
    So you find this helps?

I ran two (slow) miles Sunday and got a terrible side ache but that may not be the same as muscle cramps. I'm training for a four mile trail run in nov.

I always here that you hit the 'wall' around 20 miles but that not for ketosis types.
    Last edited by lea; 09-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.

I'm not a runner, I'm an eater. You are asking the wrong person, ha ha. This is just what I do to prevent my thighs from ripping my knee caps off.

BUT, I speculate and only speculate, IF side stitches truly are just cramps of the diaphragm, then breathing slower and/or lytes may help.

I used to get those stabbing pains ever time I ran or did anything physical with cardio, and now I never do! I never even thought about it, but it's possible that this supplementation is why I don't get side stitches anymore. You've made me think!

*go easy on the baking soda; causes the runs if you over-do it. I find 1/2 teaspoon to be the right amount, but not daily. I don't supp all the lytes every day, just when I know I'll do something. The body, I feel, should be left alone often to balance itself. Pounding it full of potent stuff too often can't be good.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a runner, I'm an eater. You are asking the wrong person, ha ha. This is just what I do to prevent my thighs from ripping my knee caps off.
    Ha.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast