Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 8

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    But it FEELS hardcore to him
    Yeah, that's kind of the point.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    well, yes and no.

yes, there is a performance level which you can achieve low carb. and if you exceed that, you probably require more carbs. and that level may vary from person to person. but crossing that threshold isn't unhealthy or chronic cardio. crossing it can be done through various exercise plans/schedules, none of which are classified as "cardio" or "chronic cardio" at all.
    There is a large gray area between what is necessary for optimum health and what is detrimental.

Biking or running are the main things mentioned here . Levels of those that can't be supported on low carb is chronic cardio.

Anything else that can't be supported on low carb is not necessary and quite possibly chronic something.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    There is a large gray area between what is necessary for optimum health and what is detrimental.

Biking or running are the main things mentioned here . Levels of those that can't be supported on low carb is chronic cardio.

Anything else that can't be supported on low carb is not necessary and quite possibly chronic something.
    i'm starting to think that a lot of people have a very low definition of what hard work actually is.

i'm also starting to realize that a lot of people here are a lot lazier than they let on and certainly not leading active lifestyles. this would explain a lot of why everyone "thinks" they can do "loads" of exercise while eating vlc. I guess it's all relative

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    That's my point.
    There is a level of exercise where the objective value tapers off rapidly and the 'value' is something like feeling good about how hard you work.

Zach is offline Banned
    Shit guys, i think knife is doing a shit ton of volume. I know i dont do a quarter as much as that. I also dont think i need or want to do more though.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Shit guys, i think knife is doing a shit ton of volume. I know i dont do a quarter as much as that. I also dont think i need or want to do more though.
    With a baby coming soon (or already born), this volume will shrink fast if he gets involved in fulfilling the baby's needs day in and day out.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Today I ran the longest I've ever run, a 2.25 miler. Took me 18:55, and I did the first mile in 7 minutes. I never had to stop, but toward the last half-mile, my run did turn into a sort of jog. IDK how to objectively define this.

If you are looking to "over-train" this will certainly fit the bill..... 4 days in a row of leg work.... and no time for them to rest? Yup... you'll hit the "wall"

Good.

Benchmarks for what?

There is really nothing seriously in contention here.
    There IS a level of intensity times duration that is doable on high carb but not low.
    There is NO health benefit from that level of exercise. It's all performance or vanity.
    Look at the actual primal fitness blueprint. There is no problem meeting it on low carb.
    If you bonk then you're doing chronic cardio.

If you meet any specified standard nobody is going to say they were wrong.
    They'll just say you could do more on high-carb. And probably be correct but so what?
    Well, shoot. I hadn't figured on that! But let's get some real numbers, and then I can roll over to high-carb and see whether or not I blast my LC numbers!

I don't. It's difficult watching you struggle to workout, doesn't seem like it even feels good. Maybe it's just the way I read you but it seems like you're burned out. And with a baby coming this can't be a good time to drastically increase a workout schedule. I know you're trying to document all of your efforts to prove ketosis is a fine state to be in long term, but it doesn't come off that way at all. It would be interesting to watch you document displacing fat with whole food carbs and see how your performance changes. That would do a lot more to prove or disprove your point.
    Other than some mild soreness I feel like a raging tiger. This has been nothing but awesome so far. I WILL go higher carb once I'm actually trained and at some sort of plateau.

But it FEELS hardcore to him
    Still waiting for anybody to describe better what sort of upper limit exists. Do I need to run 10 hours a day seven days a week?

That's perfectly fine for a workout schedule, assuming the running days are of sufficient distance and pace (and yes, of course, work up to them!). It absolutely is not "overtraining" (again, assuming you work up to it). Personally I would replace "crazy push-up day" with a second LHT - ie, the A and B splits of a 5x5 like routine - but ultimately this is going to be driven by your own personal goals. I would also consider moving the sprint day to the second run day, and leaving one day for full blown rest.

There's also no reason you can't have biking and LHT on the same day. My typical LHT day is a 5x5 workout sandwiched between two 10km bike rides (to/from the gym) and a 1km swim.

But again - once the goals are defined, the schedule details sort themselves out naturally.
    I will mull this over for sure!

i'm starting to think that a lot of people have a very low definition of what hard work actually is.

i'm also starting to realize that a lot of people here are a lot lazier than they let on and certainly not leading active lifestyles. this would explain a lot of why everyone "thinks" they can do "loads" of exercise while eating vlc. I guess it's all relative
    This and this exactly. I've been coasting along, looking healthy, just barely doing bodyweight and sprints, short bicycle rides - sort of a ready-to-train, better-than-nothing mode. And that kept me healthy, for sure. But I want to find out what I can do, and what my low-carb limits are. So far, I've encountered nothing unusual. Just making newbie gains, bringing my cardiovascular endurance up and actually sweating a lot. It's still going to be awhile before I plateau. Months? I don't know. But a time will come when I'll try to add a mile to my run and either lose speed or have to walk. And then it will happen again and I'll assess. I am a fitness novice. Brand new, out of the box.

There is a level of exercise where the objective value tapers off rapidly and the 'value' is something like feeling good about how hard you work.
    I see you're some kind of socialite. I have no opinion of you. Is that shocking?

Nope, me neither. Once this experiment is done, and repeated, I'll go back to grey-zone health-maintenance land.

With a baby coming soon (or already born), this volume will shrink fast if he gets involved in fulfilling the baby's needs day in and day out.
    I can take baby running. Pushing a stroller might change the dynamic a bit, but the numbers should be stable.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

For me, the real "wall" came after 6-8 months of low carb. And by low carb, I mean 30-100g daily. All from veggies and occasional fruit.

My typical schedule at that time was 2 days of high intensity, crossfit styled workouts, involving tire flips, rope climbs, sprints, jumpropes, battle ropes, and weights. 2 days of heavy weight training. 1-2 days of boxing training. And severel short mountain bike rides, usually with a good 12-20 miler on the weekend. The shorter rides (20-30 min) were typically used as warmups on lifting days. I survived 6-8 months of this eating low carb clean paleo. And like I mentioned earlier, the bonking came on gradually with each workout. The progressively got worse. Clearly this is my experience. Ymmv

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    For me, the real "wall" came after 6-8 months of low carb. And by low carb, I mean 30-100g daily. All from veggies and occasional fruit.

My typical schedule at that time was 2 days of high intensity, crossfit styled workouts, involving tire flips, rope climbs, sprints, jumpropes, battle ropes, and weights. 2 days of heavy weight training. 1-2 days of boxing training. And severel short mountain bike rides, usually with a good 12-20 miler on the weekend. The shorter rides (20-30 min) were typically used as warmups on lifting days. I survived 6-8 months of this eating low carb clean paleo. And like I mentioned earlier, the bonking came on gradually with each workout. The progressively got worse. Clearly this is my experience. Ymmv
    This is good to know, thank you!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Today I ran the longest I've ever run, a 2.25 miler. Took me 18:55, and I did the first mile in 7 minutes. I never had to stop, but toward the last half-mile, my run did turn into a sort of jog. IDK how to objectively define this.
    Awesome sauce! Personally, I would suggest ramping the distance up slowly, methodically, with a "Couch to" type program, so all your connective tissue has a chance to keep up with the rest of you.

Still waiting for anybody to describe better what sort of upper limit exists. Do I need to run 10 hours a day seven days a week?
    There are no limits. If you want to test the outer bounds of what a human body can accomplish, start training for an IronMan, or join the Army and go for Ranger School, or get a track bike and start racing at your local velodrome.

You don't "need" to do anything - the question here is "What do you WANT to do?"

If you're looking for what qualifies as a minimally acceptable level of fitness, I would say that if you can do all of the following, you're probably good to go:

- run 5 miles in 40 minutes
    - do 10 chinups
    - squat and deadlift 1-1.5x your bodyweight

EDIT: I also came from a very low carb lifestyle, over a year averaging under 50g/day. When I hit my wall, it was a bit sharper a transition than our friend up there. In the end, because being active was important to me, I completely revamped my macros - I am now high carb, high protein, low fat. This fits *much* better with my "500km a month" level of activity. Weight is melting off, fitness is improving leaps and bounds.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 09-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast