Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 7

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Does everyone else agree these are acceptable
    benchmarks?
    I don't. It's difficult watching you struggle to workout, doesn't seem like it even feels good. Maybe it's just the way I read you but it seems like you're burned out. And with a baby coming this can't be a good time to drastically increase a workout schedule. I know you're trying to document all of your efforts to prove ketosis is a fine state to be in long term, but it doesn't come off that way at all. It would be interesting to watch you document displacing fat with whole food carbs and see how your performance changes. That would do a lot more to prove or disprove your point.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, I sort of agree with Moluv.

I have been twice through nursing a newborn, I was sharing the load with my wife except for breasfeeding with our first child. The second one was unfortunately on formula due to my wife's poor production. Anyway, I could not care less about WO routines and diet, the house was a mess, sleep was horribly fragmented, etc. I was cooking without refined sugar or excess shit but relied half of the time on prepared meals from local take-aways. I gained bad fat during that phase but that's just how it is. It is easy to lose it again once the baby phase is over.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    Benchmarks for what?

There is really nothing seriously in contention here.
    There IS a level of intensity times duration that is doable on high carb but not low.
    There is NO health benefit from that level of exercise. It's all performance or vanity.
    Look at the actual primal fitness blueprint. There is no problem meeting it on low carb.
    If you bonk then you're doing chronic cardio.

If you meet any specified standard nobody is going to say they were wrong.
    They'll just say you could do more on high-carb. And probably be correct but so what?
    well, yes and no.

yes, there is a performance level which you can achieve low carb. and if you exceed that, you probably require more carbs. and that level may vary from person to person. but crossing that threshold isn't unhealthy or chronic cardio. crossing it can be done through various exercise plans/schedules, none of which are classified as "cardio" or "chronic cardio" at all.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Zach is offline Banned
    Fuck the haters, knife, shoot the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post

I was just pointing out that the activities you are describing are so low burn that they don't really qualify as "cardio on VLC" - which would be totally cool, except you're suggesting that your activity is somehow evidence that meaningful cardio exercise and VLC are a good match.

In the meantime, the fact that your body can't do any of those things even once is evidence to the contrary.
    I agree with this part of the statement. you set out to prove that you can do all of this hardcore exercise while eating low carb or vlc. except, you aren't doing any hardcore exercise. I don't get it
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    We're all gonna make it brah
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I agree with this part of the statement. you set out to prove that you can do all of this hardcore exercise while eating low carb or vlc. except, you aren't doing any hardcore exercise. I don't get it
    But it FEELS hardcore to him

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Does everyone else agree these are acceptable benchmarks? I am glad to have goals now, thank you! *scribbles out new workout calendar*

So-
    Monday - Run
    Tuesday - Crazy push-up day
    Wed - Run
    Thurs - LHT
    Friday - Run
    Sat - Bicycle
    Sun - Sprint

This looks positively exhausting. Should do!
    That's perfectly fine for a workout schedule, assuming the running days are of sufficient distance and pace (and yes, of course, work up to them!). It absolutely is not "overtraining" (again, assuming you work up to it). Personally I would replace "crazy push-up day" with a second LHT - ie, the A and B splits of a 5x5 like routine - but ultimately this is going to be driven by your own personal goals. I would also consider moving the sprint day to the second run day, and leaving one day for full blown rest.

There's also no reason you can't have biking and LHT on the same day. My typical LHT day is a 5x5 workout sandwiched between two 10km bike rides (to/from the gym) and a 1km swim.

But again - once the goals are defined, the schedule details sort themselves out naturally.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 09-30-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Ha, ha, Knifegill is a man of science, repeating experiments that was in focus the last two decades of the 19 th century...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 09-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    But it FEELS hardcore to him
    therein lies the problem

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast