Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 4

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Interesting!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I'm really starting to appreciate how walking compliments the sprints and vice-versa.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Here's the physiology...

Fast twitch muscle is white, it is this colour because it's cells use no oxygen ever, fast twitch muscle runs purely anaerobically on glycogen only.
    Slow twitch muscle is red. it is this colour because it's cells only use oxygen, to burn fuel aerobically. It can use either glycogen or fat for this.

Depending on the force required, the body will recruit the different muscle fibres progressively, this means an exercise that uses minimal force the body can exclusively use fat burning aerobic slow twitch muscle. When a maximum force is required the body will only recruit glycogen burning anaerobic fast twitch muscle. Muscle force in between these 2 extremes will recruit a combination of both the muscle types progressively scaled.

Here's the part where you come in knife gill, slow twitch muscle can take many hours before it will produce a 'bonk'. Fast twitch muscle can 'bonk' in less than 10 seconds. Your 1 mile jog probably wasn't fast or long enough to recruit enough of your fast twitch muscle fibre to deplete its glycogen anaerobically for you to experience a bonk. Also your catabolic LC eating style leaves plenty of fatty acids in the blood for the slow muscle fibres that you did recruit to oxidise for fuel.

There you have it.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I am learning something: Walking: slow twitch. Sprinting: Fast twitch. Chronic cardio: Both or neither.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I only read the bullet point comparison at the top but it makes sense that my yoga and handstand work is training and not excercise. Hence, it's never boring.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I never find working out to be boring.

It did take a few days for the soreness to go away, but as this was my first run, I'm not surprised and will have to do a few more runs to find out how I do once conditioned.

Here's the part where you come in knife gill, slow twitch muscle can take many hours before it will produce a 'bonk'. Fast twitch muscle can 'bonk' in less than 10 seconds. Your 1 mile jog probably wasn't fast or long enough to recruit enough of your fast twitch muscle fibre to deplete its glycogen anaerobically for you to experience a bonk. Also your catabolic LC eating style leaves plenty of fatty acids in the blood for the slow muscle fibres that you did recruit to oxidise for fuel.
    I would never run fast. I emulate the Tarahumara trot, relaxing everything I'm not using and shoving the ground casually beneath me as I gently fall forward. I run as if I plan to be out there all day. I was amazed at how much my legs got worked, though! My thighs were tense for like three days.

I am not yet sure how to work running into my "routine" aka "ad-lib, body-directed playlist", since I don't want to give up bicycling or sprinting. But between the two, it's obvious. The bicycle will be parked for a bit. Obviously I still do not espouse running and this will likely only go on for a few months. I do carb up now and then, though, which means like 100 to 150g in a day, still less than most would suggest. This'll be a wait and see kind of deal, since we need time! But it's on my calendar and I will update with each run and subsequent sensations, recovery, post-run food, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Christen.X is offline Junior Member

NEWS Lazy very low carber goes for run does great feels fine

I have run in all those conditions, and cant wait for more. I think the ulitmate measure of a man is how far he can get his own body in any given time... on foot.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Wow, can't believe it's been six days! Just did my "next" run, could have done it yesterday, soreness has been gone. Ran 1.5 miles in about 13:00. I am sure that's a terrible time. I feel great, though. Runner's high is real! Had steak and eggs before run, just water after. Plan on not eating for a while.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Christen.X is offline Junior Member

NEWS Lazy very low carber goes for run does great feels fine

PrimalCon New York
    I have run in all those conditions, and cant wait for more. I think the ulitmate measure of a man is how far he can get his own body in any given time... on foot.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast