Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 3

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Slowly reading these now...

Good words, I like your N=1. Well described. Thankfully, I seem to be able to easily eat over two pounds of meat in a sitting without hesitation, plus other foods to augment nutrition, and can easily eat far too much without any sign of nausea. This is an ability I never take for granted, as newbies file in with low body weight, weakness and thin hair because they are simply unable to eat. That said, simple carbs do sit well with me and digest just fine, so if I find out I can't be a keto athlete, I'll be all about the fruit! Or I'll just go back to exercising less, lol.
    Don't get me wrong I can put down large hunks of steak at any given time as well. Just as long as its not on a day when I am running or playing hoops. I tried on more than one occasion to have a fatty cut of meat after a session of intense workouts and it made me yack for hours. A banana or an apple worked so much better for me. I wish you the best of luck with your experiment and hope you succeed in being a keto athlete!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    You might be right there. I've been working out more than usual, and feel draggy. But, I'm also eating at a deficit, temporarily, for the ab contest. Normally, I stuff myself silly and feel amazing. Perhaps if I stuff myself even sillier, I can have all the more fun. Will try.

Although, this doesn't actually sound that rough...I'm up for it. Swap out the boxing for body-weight and it's on!
    i'm sure it's a combination of both. eating in a deficit and increasing your exercise is tough. and doing it while vlc seems god-awful. i'm hoping that if you do increase your exercise, your gut health is improved enough where you can tolerate a higher carb level. once the ab challenge is over and you can work your butt off and eat in a surplus, you'll see amazing changes in your body.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I always like reading your posts Knifegill (more of a lurker myself) and tend to cheer you on from my desk when there's another Peat induced war raging on here, but I would also be curious to see what your experience is when you ramp up those work-outs. VLC worked great for me initially, but as soon as I started to become serious with strength training (kettlebells from home), I felt horrible and weak. Potatoes and fruit all the way for me now, body composition and strength are only getting better.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The Peter Attia stuff explains it really well I find - he's talking about an intensity threshold so if you cross that you need glucose, but stay within it and you can go forever on fat stores. He also talks about raising the threshold over time with a combination of clean eating and excersise, which is true - the body becoems more fat adapted over time and can do more on fat stores, but there is always a peak performance point where you're in glucogenesis, its just a question of how hard you have to go before you're in it. SWD will keep that threshold very low, so you will still be able to perform well on carbs but your quality of life is compromised - you're on that nutritional leash of needing cabrs every 2 hours.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I eat moderately low carb, certainly not VLC and not ketosis, and I tried to play ice hockey on a moderate carb day and nearly passed out. I take Gu before a game and continue with Gatorade during the game. It's really, really hard to do high intensity for any length of time on fat.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I eat moderately low carb, certainly not VLC and not ketosis, and I tried to play ice hockey on a moderate carb day and nearly passed out. I take Gu before a game and continue with Gatorade during the game. It's really, really hard to do high intensity for any length of time on fat.
    It is hard you're right - if I was competing in a sport, which I'm not :-), I would carb up to the max to be honest, but I'd use natural carbs where possible - potatoes, bananas, etc.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong I can put down large hunks of steak at any given time as well. Just as long as its not on a day when I am running or playing hoops. I tried on more than one occasion to have a fatty cut of meat after a session of intense workouts and it made me yack for hours. A banana or an apple worked so much better for me. I wish you the best of luck with your experiment and hope you succeed in being a keto athlete!
    I hope it works out, too. I can't imagine that every HG tribe in the world needed carbs! And I'm one of those huge-ribbed, stocky, thermogenic white people who, theoretically, is designed well for a cold, hunting life. It just seems that, if anybody could do it, I'd be one of them!

I usually fast after a workout, though, except for liquids.

I always like reading your posts Knifegill (more of a lurker myself) and tend to cheer you on from my desk when there's another Peat induced war raging on here, but I would also be curious to see what your experience is when you ramp up those work-outs. VLC worked great for me initially, but as soon as I started to become serious with strength training (kettlebells from home), I felt horrible and weak. Potatoes and fruit all the way for me now, body composition and strength are only getting better.
    I've been lifting somewhat heavy and have a rather physical job, so it's possible I have an edge on ramping it up. Today I feel great, just a little sore from my experimental run yesterday. I don't feel weak or groggy or anything! But, it's still pretty early. And I plan on making rest days the exception rather than the rule here in the near future...

I think I know that passing out feeling you are talking about. But once I started taking lots of electrolytes and eating more, it went away. For me. For now, lol. We'll see how I do today! I plan on doing something intense...maybe a lot of burpees or heavy lifts with my barbell - or both!

It is hard you're right - if I was competing in a sport, which I'm not :-), I would carb up to the max to be honest, but I'd use natural carbs where possible - potatoes, bananas, etc.
    This will be a factor. I do not play a sport. I will have to try to emulate the experience of playing a sport on my body...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I've tried, but I can't eat for several hours before a game or I'll puke when I hit the ice. I'm a goalie and it's lots of up down activity, sprawling on the ice etc. Even a banana is too much and if I eat it early enough, it's not available for me come game time. So Gu and Gatorade it is. I put this in my 20% cheat foods.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sprinted again today, I don't exactly have a lot of workouts. Now I'm starting to understand the consumerism of workout videos and jumping from trend to trend - you're bored! You work out so much so often that suddenly, even though you feel fine and things are great, you just want to try something else.

I've also been lifting my boulder every time I go outside. Being basically alone (except for preggers wife!) really lends to stillness. Trying to make up more exercises that don't use muscles I've already worked to death is not easy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

drjoyous is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sprinted again today, I don't exactly have a lot of workouts. Now I'm starting to understand the consumerism of workout videos and jumping from trend to trend - you're bored! You work out so much so often that suddenly, even though you feel fine and things are great, you just want to try something else.

I've also been lifting my boulder every time I go outside. Being basically alone (except for preggers wife!) really lends to stillness. Trying to make up more exercises that don't use muscles I've already worked to death is not easy.
    excellent point about people's boredom... When i feel "bored" i just skip one workout and find that by the next one, i'm raring to go. I *think* that what i imagine is boredom is probably the verge of overtraining, and since i feel guilty my mind plays games and tells me "You're bored." Something like that (sorry, not enough caffeine yet this morning to make sense!)

That "stillness" is wonderful, but i know what you mean. How about a slackline? Different kind of working of muscles? I'm dying to get one, but I'm still trying to figure out where in my yard to set it up. I'm lazy and don't want to set it up then pull it down, etc. I can't use the trees in the forest behind me, unless i plan on tripping the coyotes and bears who wander through!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast