Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fat is low octane if you can keep intensity low enough it may get you through. If ramping up intensity you will need super-octane or glucose/glycogen, or you will be in serious trouble! Usually it may take a couple of days or three to deplete glycogen by ramping up training volume and intensity somehow while keeping carbs low. Gluconeogenesis will not provide enough glucose if raising volume and intensity, but you can test it out and find your limits. And yes, it feels pretty miserable when bonking, just saying...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Why would you discontinue potassium chloride because of the chloride but continue sodium chloride (salt)? Or did you mean the problem is the potassium? What I have heard is potassium is bad for people with high blood pressure if they are taking blood pressure medication because they could lower their blood pressure too much if they take potassium supplements on top of their medication.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I find breathing deeper than normal for 20 - 30 seconds to help with side stitch. If that doesn't work, slow down and walk fast for a minute if possible.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Fat is low octane if you can keep intensity low enough it may get you through. If ramping up intensity you will need super-octane or glucose/glycogen, or you will be in serious trouble! Usually it may take a couple of days or three to deplete glycogen by ramping up training volume and intensity somehow while keeping carbs low. Gluconeogenesis will not provide enough glucose if raising volume and intensity, but you can test it out and find your limits. And yes, it feels pretty miserable when bonking, just saying...
    Sounds like some gray area, I do not know whether or not I typically use/rely on much glycogen. I assume I do, since I don't push myself too hard on a regular basis...but all it takes is 10 minutes in the gym to start the ketone smell. It's much different than normal BO, it's almost sweet.

Why would you discontinue potassium chloride because of the chloride but continue sodium chloride (salt)? Or did you mean the problem is the potassium? What I have heard is potassium is bad for people with high blood pressure if they are taking blood pressure medication because they could lower their blood pressure too much if they take potassium supplements on top of their medication.
    I seek to reduce my chloride intake, as practically as possible. Since bacon and sauerkraut come presalted with sodium chloride, that's just kind of going to stay put. But since I can at least find another source of potassium crystal that isn't made with chloride, I will. Yes, I like potassium for its pressure-lowering activity. And to balance out the sodium, since it's important to maintain a good ratio of potassium to sodium. I give my body what it needs and let it pee out the extra. Which, I admit, still confuses me - why is reducing chloride intake a good idea if my body is going to maintain a certain amount of it anyway?! Maybe I'm a chloride retainer...my pressure was very high about a year ago, so I actively seek to keep it lower-ish.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I find breathing deeper than normal for 20 - 30 seconds to help with side stitch. If that doesn't work, slow down and walk fast for a minute if possible.
    I'll try that next time. It seems to hit at two miles or so.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Knifey...you aren't a superhero. You barely work out. Give us 3 days a week of heavy lifting, a 5 mile run, a 2 hour mountain bike ride, and a couple days of boxing. You'll be mainlining gatorade and gorging on potatoes. That is, if you can move enough to get the food in your face. Perhaps your wife will feed you? Most people who do minimal exercise do just fine on low or vlc diets. Most highly active people do not
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

You might be right there. I've been working out more than usual, and feel draggy. But, I'm also eating at a deficit, temporarily, for the ab contest. Normally, I stuff myself silly and feel amazing. Perhaps if I stuff myself even sillier, I can have all the more fun. Will try.

Although, this
    Give us 3 days a week of heavy lifting, a 5 mile run, a 2 hour mountain bike ride, and a couple days of boxing.
    doesn't actually sound that rough...I'm up for it. Swap out the boxing for body-weight and it's on!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    You might want to read Peter Attia's self experiment on aerobics in ketosis
    The interplay of exercise and ketosis
    Ketosis
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I do an interval run once a week. The run is 3 miles long and incorporates 8-10 100m sprints. I have been doing this run for the 5+ years that I have been on a paleo style diet. Without intervals I can run 10 miles easily. I also walk for 45 minutes 4 days a week. I do body weight training twice a week and play basketball once a week. The first 2-3 years felt amazing. But the last couple years were very difficult and I felt progressively more fatigued, slower and I would end up with achy legs at night time, and super cold hands. I was never VLC and typically would hover around 125-150g of carbs per day. This year I tweaked my diet and added in more carbs from fruits and having one day of a refeed. Daily I am around 200g of carbs and on reefed days I am over 300g+. My runs are much stronger again and I have way more energy without anymore aches. This is what works best for me since I like being active and enjoy playing sports and being outdoors doing stuff. If the weather is bad and I am working inside all day long my overall carb intake is much lower.

On a side note, before I started upping the carbs I tried to just increase my calories from protein and fats. That went horribly for me. I felt nauseated all the time when I tried to up calories this way instead of proportionately adding in some dietary carbohydrates.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

You might want to read Peter Attia's self experiment on aerobics in ketosis
    Ketosis
    Slowly reading these now...

I do an interval run once a week. The run is 3 miles long and incorporates 8-10 100m sprints. I have been doing this run for the 5+ years that I have been on a paleo style diet. Without intervals I can run 10 miles easily. I also walk for 45 minutes 4 days a week. I do body weight training twice a week and play basketball once a week. The first 2-3 years felt amazing. But the last couple years were very difficult and I felt progressively more fatigued, slower and I would end up with achy legs at night time, and super cold hands. I was never VLC and typically would hover around 125-150g of carbs per day. This year I tweaked my diet and added in more carbs from fruits and having one day of a refeed. Daily I am around 200g of carbs and on reefed days I am over 300g+. My runs are much stronger again and I have way more energy without anymore aches. This is what works best for me since I like being active and enjoy playing sports and being outdoors doing stuff. If the weather is bad and I am working inside all day long my overall carb intake is much lower.

On a side note, before I started upping the carbs I tried to just increase my calories from protein and fats. That went horribly for me. I felt nauseated all the time when I tried to up calories this way instead of proportionately adding in some dietary carbohydrates.
    Good words, I like your N=1. Well described. Thankfully, I seem to be able to easily eat over two pounds of meat in a sitting without hesitation, plus other foods to augment nutrition, and can easily eat far too much without any sign of nausea. This is an ability I never take for granted, as newbies file in with low body weight, weakness and thin hair because they are simply unable to eat. That said, simple carbs do sit well with me and digest just fine, so if I find out I can't be a keto athlete, I'll be all about the fruit! Or I'll just go back to exercising less, lol.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast