Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine. page 13

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Not to be nitpicky, but 5k is actually 3.10685596 mi. and 18 minutes is quite an ambitious goal for most people.
    Yes but knife already has a 3 mile course handy so I supplied the USMC standards that are for 3 miles not 5k.

I don't think I could do 18 minutes with a year to train and a million dollars at stake!

Zach is offline Banned
    Knife, why do you want to do this? Your last attempt at adding a bit of carbs ended horribly, why would this be different?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Well, adding starch was clearly a horrid idea. But the fruit only made me fat and sassy, and I wasn't exercising much at that time. I have no digestive trouble with occasional things like dried cherries, bags of frozen berries, tooth-rotting fruit snacks, and the like. So instead of starchy things, I'll use these "natural candies".

And last week we made chicken stew with carrots and regular potatoes. Cooked the crap out of the whole thing so the veggies were basically mush. Ate a little the first day, fine, little gas. Ate more second day, fine! Maybe, just maybe, I've been up in arms over nothing all this time. I'd like that. And on a budget, I could really afford to be able to eat those foods! So I'll bring them in gradually. Instead of deciding to randomly cook up three sweet potatoes one day and wolf them down after months of VLC, I'll just gently let my gut adjust.

Just because I can get all my nutrients on VLC perfectly well, and enjoy a full head of hair and happy thyroid, doesn't mean I'm obligated to. It just means that it's perfectly possible and works fine.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

You love these experiments don't you?
    Yes, I'm my most willing guinea pig. I love it.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Well, adding starch was clearly a horrid idea. But the fruit only made me fat and sassy, and I wasn't exercising much at that time. I have no digestive trouble with occasional things like dried cherries, bags of frozen berries, tooth-rotting fruit snacks, and the like. So instead of starchy things, I'll use these "natural candies".

And last week we made chicken stew with carrots and regular potatoes. Cooked the crap out of the whole thing so the veggies were basically mush. Ate a little the first day, fine, little gas. Ate more second day, fine! Maybe, just maybe, I've been up in arms over nothing all this time. I'd like that. And on a budget, I could really afford to be able to eat those foods! So I'll bring them in gradually. Instead of deciding to randomly cook up three sweet potatoes one day and wolf them down after months of VLC, I'll just gently let my gut adjust.

Just because I can get all my nutrients on VLC perfectly well, and enjoy a full head of hair and happy thyroid, doesn't mean I'm obligated to. It just means that it's perfectly possible and works fine.
    The gas could have been from ill combined starch and meat- not starch alone. Same with eating fruit. It's best eaten alone. I'm excited to see you experiment with your diet a little and I know you can figure it out. Displacing meat with carb sources is a little easier on the budget, especially with bebe around now.

Zach is offline Banned

Very cool, bro! Hope it works out for you. You probably know but make sure to displace some fat calories when you add carbs so as not to get teh fats.

I would never run fast. I emulate the Tarahumara trot, relaxing everything I'm not using and shoving the ground casually beneath me as I gently fall forward. I run as if I plan to be out there all day. I was amazed at how much my legs got worked, though! My thighs were tense for like three days.
    I said this back on page 1, but I have to eat those words if I'm going to run 3 miles in a set amount of time. Speed just became the variable!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

And what happens to people who sprint AND run? Do I break even and just gain endurance without losing muscle? I'm eating big again, so that should help...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    And what happens to people who sprint AND run? Do I break even and just gain endurance without losing muscle? I'm eating big again, so that should help...
    I competed both distance and sprints in high school, and I was RIPPED. I lifted a lot, though.

And heads up : an 18 minute 5k is FAST. Like... Puts you in the hunt for hanging with high school cross country runners at State championships

Sent via F-22 Raptor

I'm currently relegated mostly to lifting at my work gym. I just took on 35 straight days of work, and usually do all this running, sprinting, etc., on my off days! I'd like to squeeze those sprints in at least, and I can probably use the treadmill as a temporary running replacement. But the idea of such a rat-like existence makes this all seem like nonsense.

And lately I keep seeing everybody saying carbs shuttle protein into muscles. As if low-carbers must all be wasting away? WTF is wrong with this place and why do I even post here anymore when it's all turning into CW garbage?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast