Thread: 19% Meat Protein

19% Meat Protein

Shop Now
    Just curious why a box frozen chicken breasts from Costco says 19% Meat Protein on the front. The ingredients list chicken, salt and water and 19 grams of protein per 100 grams and 0 carbs. I can't seem to find a definitive answer online?

Because chicken is the meat, and 19/100 is 19%?

Marketing?

Yeah, it's telling you that it's 19% protein by weight. Most of the rest is water and probably a miniscule bit of fat.

Meat isn't all protein. It's protein, fat, water, sometimes sinew.

An ounce of chicken breast has about 6 grams of protein (depending on what source you use).

100 grams is about 3.5 oz.

3.5 oz x 6 grams of protein/oz = 21 grams of protein, so if it's boneless, skinless, that would be 21 grams of protein per 100 grams of meat. Which is 21% - close enough to 19%.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I always wondered what the rest of meat was that wasn't carb, fat or protein.

Tried adding up numbers from nutrition labels and it always came up short. I guess there's a long list of "Misc" that explains it.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I always wondered what the rest of meat was that wasn't carb, fat or protein.

Tried adding up numbers from nutrition labels and it always came up short. I guess there's a long list of "Misc" that explains it.

M.
    Mostly water though.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Mostly water though.
    Oh. Duh. That makes sense.

M.