Thread: Pre-workout nutrition and carb question page

BikesandBacon is offline Junior Member

Pre-workout nutrition and carb question

Shop Now
    Hey, everyone. I'm new here and new to this lifestyle. I have a couple of questions. First, I've just started taking kettlebell lessons. They're 1/2 long and first thing in the morning. I'm used to training for endurance stuff (as a competitive cyclist), so what to eat before and after strength training is new to me. Any suggestions on what I should eat before the workout? I had a couple of eggs and avocado/tomato before the last class and my stomach felt kind of icky half-way through.

And one cycling-related question. I see on the Primal Blueprint that less than 150 grams of carbs a day is considered healthy for weight maintenance, closer to 100 for weight loss, etc. How do these numbers fluctuate for someone like me who's out training to race my bicycle? This time of year I'm falling back into my rest/base period, which is why I'm giving the primal lifestyle a try. But I'm just confused about how many grams of carbs I should be eating from day-to-day to reap the benefits of getting leaner and recovering better. Thanks!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Get ready for the onslaught of responses that vary drastically.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesandBacon View Post
    Hey, everyone. I'm new here and new to this lifestyle. I have a couple of questions. First, I've just started taking kettlebell lessons. They're 1/2 long and first thing in the morning. I'm used to training for endurance stuff (as a competitive cyclist), so what to eat before and after strength training is new to me. Any suggestions on what I should eat before the workout? I had a couple of eggs and avocado/tomato before the last class and my stomach felt kind of icky half-way through.

And one cycling-related question. I see on the Primal Blueprint that less than 150 grams of carbs a day is considered healthy for weight maintenance, closer to 100 for weight loss, etc. How do these numbers fluctuate for someone like me who's out training to race my bicycle? This time of year I'm falling back into my rest/base period, which is why I'm giving the primal lifestyle a try. But I'm just confused about how many grams of carbs I should be eating from day-to-day to reap the benefits of getting leaner and recovering better. Thanks!
    Personally I feel 150 grams a day is kind of an arbitrary number. It really does depend on your body and how you process. The key is to be able change your body over from a sugar burning machine to a fat burning machine so you're going to have to self test.

As for your morning meal, the tomato may be too acidic for you first thing before a work out so try spinach instead with your eggs and avacado. That will help with your fiber and regulate PH as well.