Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To encourage you to continue your coconut oil binges!

Hybrid View

Thumbs up To encourage you to continue your coconut oil binges!

Coconut Oil is seriously AMAZING!! I am sure you all already know this, but I just wanted to reaffirm this in all of your minds with a video!

Coconut Oil is Robert Downey Jr.'s Doppelganger - GiGi Eats Celebrities

Do you use it for other things? I mention and test out other ways of using coconut oil too!

Share your recipes, ideas, etc below!!

Keep on eating this delicious saturated fat!

Wow you're so precious on your video

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Wow you're so precious on your video
    ETA: I don't thing binging on coconut oil is a good idea, but ill eat some here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    ETA: I don't thing binging on coconut oil is a good idea, but ill eat some here and there.
    Ha ha! Don't worry, I totally DIDN'T eat those huge spoonful!

I rarely use it, tastes too much like coconut, not a must flavor in many of my dishes. I also seem to have a rather explosive digestion with refined coconut stuff like coconut milk ... I think i can live without ...

Love the stuff. My favorite is the smell it gives when I season my cast iron pans with it.

Have not tried it as a moisturizer yet, but might just start doing that soon.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    My favorite is the smell it gives when I season my cast iron pans with it.
    Hmm?

The way you season a cast iron pan is by oxidizing an oil. The oxidized fat turns into a glass-like sheen to provide that awesome non-stick finish. Coconut oil is one of the most oxidation-resistant oils out there since it is almost entirely saturated fats. Good choices to season a cast iron pan are flaxseed oil, safflower oil, soybean oil and canola oil because they break down so rapidly and oxidize so completely. It's a sin to use coconut oil to season a cast iron pan!

I had to nitpick there. If you refuse to buy those fats, you could use a refined olive oil, though it won't be as effective. I use cheap olive oil and get modest results. They'd be much better using flaxseed oil or safflower oil, but I won't buy them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    They'd be much better using flaxseed oil or safflower oil, but I won't buy them.
    Why not cheap-as-hell soybean oil? Since you're completely oxidizing -> polymerizing the fat, where's the harm in using it to season a cast iron pan?

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Why not cheap-as-hell soybean oil? Since you're completely oxidizing -> polymerizing the fat, where's the harm in using it to season a cast iron pan?
    Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
    Sooo, why won't you buy safflower oil? Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, this is more of a thought exercise. I'm not ragging on your personal choice of seasoning oil or anything; I'm just really interested in the science of seasoning cast iron.