Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To encourage you to continue your coconut oil binges! page 2

Katharina is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't like the taste of coconut oil, so I use the one that has mildly had its flavor removed. I use that one all the time for cooking. Does anyone know, if coconut oil has any beneficial effect on skin problems? Rosacea in particular. My boyfriend suffers from this.
    I think I'll start slathering it in my face. My skin gets so dry after showers.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    I don't like the taste of coconut oil, so I use the one that has mildly had its flavor removed. I use that one all the time for cooking. Does anyone know, if coconut oil has any beneficial effect on skin problems? Rosacea in particular. My boyfriend suffers from this.
    I think I'll start slathering it in my face. My skin gets so dry after showers.
    I have heard that coconut oil is great for skin ailments such as rosacea and yeast infections! Definitely give it a try! Nothing to lose, everything to gain!

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    ETA: I don't thing binging on coconut oil is a good idea, but ill eat some here and there.
    Ha ha! Don't worry, I totally DIDN'T eat those huge spoonful!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    My favorite is the smell it gives when I season my cast iron pans with it.
    Hmm?

The way you season a cast iron pan is by oxidizing an oil. The oxidized fat turns into a glass-like sheen to provide that awesome non-stick finish. Coconut oil is one of the most oxidation-resistant oils out there since it is almost entirely saturated fats. Good choices to season a cast iron pan are flaxseed oil, safflower oil, soybean oil and canola oil because they break down so rapidly and oxidize so completely. It's a sin to use coconut oil to season a cast iron pan!

I had to nitpick there. If you refuse to buy those fats, you could use a refined olive oil, though it won't be as effective. I use cheap olive oil and get modest results. They'd be much better using flaxseed oil or safflower oil, but I won't buy them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    They'd be much better using flaxseed oil or safflower oil, but I won't buy them.
    Why not cheap-as-hell soybean oil? Since you're completely oxidizing -> polymerizing the fat, where's the harm in using it to season a cast iron pan?

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Coconut oil/milk noticeably increases the inflammation within my body if I eat too much.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Why not cheap-as-hell soybean oil? Since you're completely oxidizing -> polymerizing the fat, where's the harm in using it to season a cast iron pan?
    Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Safflower oil is just as readily available and will work better. For $4 it's a fine parts lubricant.
    Sooo, why won't you buy safflower oil? Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, this is more of a thought exercise. I'm not ragging on your personal choice of seasoning oil or anything; I'm just really interested in the science of seasoning cast iron.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Sooo, why won't you buy safflower oil? Sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious, this is more of a thought exercise. I'm not ragging on your personal choice of seasoning oil or anything; I'm just really interested in the science of seasoning cast iron.
    Maybe because he doesn't otherwise use it and it does not take a lot of oil to season a pan?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I just don't want to. Principles. Seed oil manufacturers make more than enough money off the suffering of others, and I won't contribute. I'd rather get a comparatively lousy finish on my pans. I maintain them very well so they look great using olive oil, though. I clean and scrub them meticulously and bake them after each use to maintain the finish. For a person that isn't as meticulous and want the best finish possible, it's flaxseed oil and safflower oil.

Also, what mags said. It's like half a teaspoon to maintain a pan, and since I don't fry much a bottle of safflower oil would literally last years. I don't need the space taken up in my tiny pantry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast