Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocado Allergy? page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Avocado Allergy?

Shop Now
    So I tried an avocado today for the first time by itself. I've had guacamole in the past and didn't really care for it and I've occasionally had avocado in my sushi but the taste is so light that it was barely noticeable.

I ate half of one. It wasn't horrible. It wasn't absolutely delicious to me either but for the health benefits, I can get over it and find ways to incorporate it into my diet. (recipes appreciated)

A bigger concern to me though was that the first few bites I took, I experienced a tingling or itching in my tongue, and in the back of my throat. The first thing I thought was food allergy, so I put it down for a few minutes to see if it was going to get worse. It didn't, it went away and then I ate the rest of it with no problems. It seemed like there might have been a little bit of a residual itching, but barely noticeable. I probably only noticed it because I was hyper aware of it.

Reading one of Marks posts about Olive Oil, I remember him mentioning that with a really good olive oil, one would experience a burning or physical sensation when consuming it because of the anti-oxidents or some other nutrition component. Could this be true for avocado's as well? Have other people experienced this, or does this fall squarely in the category of "food allergy"?

I have heard that people who have sensitivities to bananas and eggs may also be sensitive to avocados. I have intolerance to both, but that's all...intolerance, not true allergy. I've never experienced a true food allergy. With banana's and eggs that are not fresh, I get IBS type stomach cramps after I eat them.

Any thoughts?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    There is a simple skin prick test for the allergy. What you describe actually sounds like a mild onset of the allergy. Others around here have had stomach cramps from avocados. I don't know what to make of that. But itchy mouth, throat, skin and hives are indicative of allergy, as I recall. Serious reactions include respiratory problems.

Here
    and
    Here

Are the other two threads I've read where people are having problems.

Here's a good tip. Never by an avocado with the stem broken off. Only buy the ones that have a nub of stem still attached to the fruit. That means it was clipped from the tree and landed in a bag. The broken ones may have been knocked out of the tree or just found on the ground for whatever reason. They do not ripen evenly. The ones with no nubs get those brown veins and if they fell, you often find a bruise.

Good
    Bad
    Last edited by Grol; 06-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    yep. Dunno if it's allergy or sensitivity as such - at any rate, you're getting a reaction. I ate two halves (with lemon juice and pepper, yum) a while ago and let's say the next day wasn't good, even though it's not supposed to cause digestive disturbance. I'm also sensitive to mango and banana. Apparently the mouth-and-throat itching is the 'birch pollen allergy' (interesting to be because since moving to Victoria (Australia) in my twenties I developed hayfever, which I'd never had before).

Guess we'd better not plant any birch trees.

Probably no great harm in eating some occasionally if it doesn't bother you too much; I find I can't, which is a pity as avocado is so delicious!

the Wikipedia page on oral allergy syndrome is really interesting.

I think this might be responsible for some of the ongoing and frustrating health issues I've been having. It says the allergens may or may not survive cooking - I've noticed that I have zero reaction from cooked banana, compared to noticeable irritation from raw.

Gee I'm glad you brought this up.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    A bigger concern to me though was that the first few bites I took, I experienced a tingling or itching in my tongue, and in the back of my throat.
    It could be oral allergy syndrome, but I actually doubt it. I'd bet the store it's just the enzymes irritating your mouth.

one would experience a burning or physical sensation when consuming it because of the anti-oxidents or some other nutrition component. Could this be true for avocado's as well?
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    I ate two halves (with lemon juice and pepper, yum) a while ago and let's say the next day wasn't good, even though it's not supposed to cause digestive disturbance.
    It's not uncommon though while one's body is adapting. I had a lot of - un - digestive disturbances at the beginning of this and still kind of can if I eat a lot of fat at one sitting (ie 1/2 avocado).

Digestive enzymes are *really* helpful while getting used to a new food.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thank you cillakat. That's good to know. Perhaps I'll go ahead and try the other half and see how it goes. Do people ever cook avocado? I've mostly seen recipes for it raw. Would heating it kill a lot of the good stuff?

@Helen in Oz - I have the exact same problem with banana's, or so I think. I haven't been able to eat raw banana's for a couple of years now, lest I bring upon myself hours upon hours of intestinal doom. However, I had begun eating fried plantains and have absolutely no problem with them. I was curious as to whether or not I'd have the same reaction to raw plantains so decided to experiment on myself. I threw half of a raw plantain into one of my smoothies and....nope. Doom within the hour. I felt like crap for the entire day. So...now I'm curious about whether or not I'll have the same reaction to a cooked banana. I haven't built up the curiosity required to do another experiment, but at some point, I will. I would so love to add banana's back into my diet! I miss them. I'd also love to know what it is in the plantain and perhaps the banana that we're reacting to that is destroyed when cooked?

something about the protein, which is similar to the Birch allergen, gets denatured during cooking. Broken down or changed in some way. (On the down side, the sugars in bananas probably glycate....)

Yeah, I know that banana's are a high GI food and one that I wouldn't indulge in regularly, but I'd still like to be able to eat them once in a while. In the meantime, I'm going to satisfy that craving with the three plantains that I have that are now ripe enough to fry up!

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    Do you have problems with latex?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Do you have problems with latex?
    Interesting question. Why did this start ringing a bunch of bells from my old avo growing days?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast