Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slacklining page

seashells is offline Senior Member

Slacklining

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just received the slackline I bought myself for my birthday- a full month in advance. Because I want to be able to walk on it before I actually turn 45. Anyway, I tried it out yesterday as soon as I unpackaged it and OHMYGOD, it's HARD! I enjoyed myself immensely, though, and was surprised at how much effort it took just to get on the thing. I started off using walking poles and before finishing I could hop onto the line and balance for all of 1, maybe 2 seconds.

I read a few threads here on MDA but there's really not a lot for me to chew over. Who is still playing with theirs after giving it a few tries and failing spectacularly? How many people were surprisingly good right off the bat? Who worked their asses off half an hour a day for six weeks and can now make it from one end to the other?

It's so much fun I can see myself playing on it for quite some time- but I do hope I get better!

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    First time i tried, i couldnt balance more than 2 seconds, nonetheless take a step. I workout a lot and figured my balance was great. It takes a lot of core strength.

Keep practicing because your abilities will increase exponentially. Mount your line lower so its easier to step up. Also line tension changes a lot. Tight lines are harder for me to walk, so keep some slack. Mount with your dominant foot, then place your opposite food BEHIND your mounting foot. Keep your eyes on the other end of the rope. Dont use anything to aid your balance. Really just try to do it free.

After a couple days of an hour or so, I could walk a 2in line for 30feet. I can now walk, and prefer a 1" line, and ive walked a 60' line. Just keep trying.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    not on the rug has one set up in his back yard. He was getting pretty good at it last time I was out there. I've tried it a few times and can occasionally stay up there long enough for 2-3 quick steps. It's damn hard. Don't get frustrated, it's just a fun toy.

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I want to get one. I don't have a lot of space, but I have one good tree and an unused trampoline frame that I would like to repurpose for this.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Slackline is one of those things I keep meaning to do, but never have done. Like fencing. I'll buy one to try it out, I think, but there isn't that much time til winter, so who knows...

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    I just received the slackline I bought myself for my birthday- a full month in advance. Because I want to be able to walk on it before I actually turn 45. Anyway, I tried it out yesterday as soon as I unpackaged it and OHMYGOD, it's HARD! I enjoyed myself immensely, though, and was surprised at how much effort it took just to get on the thing. I started off using walking poles and before finishing I could hop onto the line and balance for all of 1, maybe 2 seconds.

I read a few threads here on MDA but there's really not a lot for me to chew over. Who is still playing with theirs after giving it a few tries and failing spectacularly? How many people were surprisingly good right off the bat? Who worked their asses off half an hour a day for six weeks and can now make it from one end to the other?

It's so much fun I can see myself playing on it for quite some time- but I do hope I get better!
    it's definitely way harder than i thought it would be. but i love it. i'm not very good at it. i can walk across it any whatnot, and do some decent balancing, but nothing like the youtube videos I've seen. stick with it

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    not on the rug has one set up in his back yard. He was getting pretty good at it last time I was out there. I've tried it a few times and can occasionally stay up there long enough for 2-3 quick steps. It's damn hard. Don't get frustrated, it's just a fun toy.
    i haven't been on it much lately. next time you guys come over, we'll be sure to play around on it. and hopefully feast on venison.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i haven't been on it much lately. next time you guys come over, we'll be sure to play around on it. and hopefully feast on venison.
    You fill up the new freezer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You fill up the new freezer yet?
    almost. i was out in a new spot last night and the deer were moving like crazy. but i was about 40-50 yards off of the trail they were running, and the woods are just so overgrown right now. so i just had to sit and watch for a few hours. tonight, i'm going to find a closer tree, and hopefully have a nice, slam-dunk shot at a deer or two
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Yay, replies! Thanks for the tips DeltaCypher- I'm planning on practicing today and I'll TRY not to use my poles. I leave it pretty slack- mostly because those last few ratches are kinda tough. I get the grass tickling my feet a little. Though I find it a little easier to hop up on it on the end than stepping up. Need to do more squats! Or maybe I should start by trying to balance in the middle. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    Yay, replies! Thanks for the tips DeltaCypher- I'm planning on practicing today and I'll TRY not to use my poles. I leave it pretty slack- mostly because those last few ratches are kinda tough. I get the grass tickling my feet a little. Though I find it a little easier to hop up on it on the end than stepping up. Need to do more squats! Or maybe I should start by trying to balance in the middle. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
    i would suggest some one-footed balancing in the middle. and stepping up on to it in the middle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast