Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: sweating in the desert page

Primal Journal: sweating in the desert

Shop Now
    My health issues: amazing addiction to sugar. I used to hide candy in my room in high school so that when I woke up I'd have a reason to get out of bed. I tend to get fibrous tumors when I drink too much coffee. I get amazing headaches that make me very, very sorry for people who suffer true migraines, and leave me puking up nothing some mornings while feeling like I must have brain cancer to be in so much pain. I don't know if brain cancer is painful, but I think everyone who has nasty headaches on a regular basis somewhat believes they have brain cancer during the worst of the pain. Or I'm a hypochondriac. I don't know.

I also have difficulty sleeping a lot of the time, and even though it's clearly related to stress, I have yet to figure out how to make it better. Open to suggestions on that one. I used to sleep 10 hours a night and nap for an hour or two during the day. Now I wake up at 5.30 no matter what time I went to bed, and the slightest noise during the night wakes me up pretty much for good. I miss sleep.

What I've got going for me: I'm in pretty good shape for 30, I bike commute everywhere, which I occasionally pretend is because I'm a good hippie but really is because some bastards sold me a lemon last year and I'm making car payments for a non-existent car... I have just uncovered a sixpack I never knew I had, and I feel smug on a daily basis that I am in better shape than the majority of nineteen-year-olds I'm in classes with. I know, so wrong, but so true.

What I want from this challenge: I want to amp up the fitness, and be more careful with my food on the weekends. My boyfriend is not Primal but loves eating a meat and veggie for dinner during the week, but has no incentive to avoid carb-heavy food on the weekends...which makes it hard for me to. I'm going to add weekly sprints, hike for a few hours on the weekend, and give myself more time on my bike commutes so I don't end up biking too hard to get the slow-movement benefits from it. Not to mention possibly not showing up to class or work with butt sweat. That would be awesome.

Current stats:

biking 4.5 hours a week, approximately 30 minutes slow walking a day, planks, side crunches, squats - whenever I feel like it, which tends to be 2-3 times a week.

Food: 1-2 cups coffee, with 1-2 packets of sugar per, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons heavy cream. I call that breakfast most days.

Lunch: 3/4 cup of turkey or some cold cooked meat, 1 large tomato or other vegetable, avocado, and some fruit.

Dinner: Some kind of meat broth soup with tons of vegetables and 1-2 cups fresh kale and cabbage steamed in it. Delicious.
    Last edited by libbyonthelabel; 09-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.

No sprinting today. I have the most massive headache I've had since I started PB a month or so ago. I would do anything not to have it. Right now, "anything" means swimming for twenty minutes and taking 800mg of ibuprofen. Awesome. My stomach loves me.

So nix sprinting. Also nix sleep. Have to figure that one out. Melatonin? Kava kava? Passionflower? I don't know. Maybe no math homework before bed. But I like dreaming about math.

I forgot to mention my "reasonable" vices yesterday:

I'm down to one cup of coffee a day except lab days, when an afternoon pick-me-up is imperative. I put two packets of sugar in the raw, but I can put one packet in with a little truvia when I feel like being a good hippie. I also eat excessive amounts of grocery-store-brand dark chocolate. And popcorn a few nights a week. I put extra butter on it to make up for the carbs. No, I'm serious, I do. Also hot sauce in the butter. I'm going to have popcorn tonight, I can feel it.

today:
    B nada
    L grilled chicken salad from a place on campus. it was gnarly and I think it made me feel like puking. Or it could have been the headache.
    D bone marrow soup with a dash of vinegar and about 2 cups compressed kale and cabbage - also it has pork sausage in it, sans nitrites. Awesome.

That's all I got. Chemistry is calling.
    Last edited by libbyonthelabel; 09-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Woke up this morning with the headache completely gone. 800mg of Ibuprofen barely touched it. Clearly something is going on here, and I need to figure it out. I'm going to try swimming on a daily basis for a while, and doing just the easy delicious-feeling stretches morning and night. I haven't had a headache like that in a while, and it was scary. When I got them regularly was when I gained the weight I just dropped.

I started getting into bed at 9 and reading this week, and since I'm trying to get better at fitting into the PB I've been randomly picking through the PB book again. It's been great to be reminded of what I'm trying to do, why, and how. Last night I was reading the daily food plans for the Korgs and realized how much unintentional (i.e. vegetable) carbs I probably eat in a day, and how important it may be for me to intentionally incorporate some fasting days to help me over this plateau. I'm going to start using FitDay or one of those things to help me break down what I'm eating. It's more important to me how I feel, but right now I have no idea how my food breaks down.

Last night my boyfriend was comparing PB to Atkins and I didn't really know how they compared, except that processed, "sugar-free" bs is not PB appropriate and seems to be Atkins-ok. It's all right though. This summer I bought a gym membership and worked out for 1-2 hours most days. I lost one pound in 2.5 months. And then it came back for no apparent reason. One week after finding MDA and realizing that my "fasting" days with pounds of fruit, extra (extra-sugary) coffee, and such-like were the worst possible thing I could be doing. I threw away the 2 pounds of grapes I'd just bought and a week later I'd lost more weight and felt much better - without even doing a lick of exercise. So it might seem like a fad to him now, but I can feel it continuing and I'm sure eventually he'll see that too. Any tips on getting significant others on board?

I think sleep might be my real problem. I just inhaled 20g of carbs with my 2.5 cups of coffee this morning. Why so coffee? Why so little sleep is the real question. Last night my brain combined chemistry with math and was forming all these weird, and completely unsolvable equations. Sometimes it gives me real math problems to solve and I solve them in my sleep. Once I even remembered the equation when I woke up. For some reason, those dreams don't make me feel tired later, but when I have unsolvable dreams, it's like it's so frustrating trying to solve the unsolvable that it wakes me up or puts me in a less deep sleep and I end up feeling exhausted later. Like now. And I'll admit it, I was reading a math book right before bed. Not a text book, but it was a sort of history of calculus and apparently it was too much for brain, what with five hours of chem studying already floating around in there.

So maybe I need to get some fiction for bedtime reading. Oooo, that sounds nice.

Anyway, feeling a little cranky about the whole PB thing this morning. Don't really want to obsess over it at the moment. Or talk about it. Or do it. As evidenced my sugar-coffee. There will be more coffee this afternoon to get me through a late-afternoon test. On the other hand, I drank unsweetened iced green tea yesterday and enjoyed it.

I feel better already. Wow.

Today I will bike for 1 hour and ten minutes, and I'll work for four hours in the vegetable gardens (which is one of my two very cool jobs) digging, squatting, lifting, etc. So I'm good for activity. My food literally doesn't change throughout the week because I have very little time for cooking during the week.

So:
    B. 1/2 bratwurst, salad with veggies
    L. two hardboiled eggs with mayo and salt, 1/2 brat and some nuts
    D. bone marrow soup with sausage, roasted red peppers, kale and cabbage, onions, etc.

Tomorrow is "hiking day." On hiking day I don't do homework and we go hiking. We're going to find another swimming hole. The hike is five miles round trip, some pretty serious elevation gain on the way up. Probably take us 2 hours of hiking total. There's a crossfit gym at our apartment complex but they don't meet til 9a.m. and we want to be on the trail by then. It's still around 100 degrees here most days. I'm thinking about checking it out though - I see them doing sprints and usually when I try running, I hurt myself.

But yes, tomorrow is the day to do sprints. The hike won't do diddly-squat for me muscle-wise - just warm 'em up. We have a tennis court and I was thinking of sprinting from one end to the other, but I don't know if that would really take 8 seconds. One way to find out I guess. I know, hill sprints are "better" but my goal is to not hurt myself. Sunday, I am considering a 8-9mph jog for 20-30 minutes. I enjoy going slow but have always tried to push it. Maybe in addition to sprints a little slow running would help. Anyway, I need to make some iced green tea for this afternoon so I don't get coffee-sugar again.

A lot has changed...including my weight/fitness. Oops. For one thing, boyfriend has become husband, and he's still not completely on board with PB. He's more than fine just eating what I eat for dinner though, with the addition of buns for hamburgers and crust with pizza. I just eat the toppings. Yum.

I still put sugar in my freaking coffee. I'm starting to think it would probably be good for me to own a scale. I've never thought weight is really the actual concern - it's how I feel in my body, and my clothes. After I lost 20 pounds two years ago I decided that I was NOT going to buy larger clothes ever again. Currently a pair of jeans I bought at my slimmest are kind of a little indecent to wear in public, because my ass is gaining. Also the cellulite is back on the backs of my legs. Yummy. The holidays always last two months, and then take an extra to get out of the habit of, "tomorrow, I'll start doing better."

So, I started rock climbing at the end of December, right now I go 2-3 times a week, and I'm kind of obsessed. In the four weeks since I started up again I'm already getting all or most of the way up all manner of 5.10's. Which makes me feel awesome. I love being strong. I ran four sets of sprints on Friday and I'm still walking funny from the muscle pain of that - haven't run sprints since some time last summer! I have three mornings a week free now, so I'm going to start going to the rec center and doing some super-resistance slow stuff and sprints on a bike. Also check out a foam roller and make a fool of myself rolling around on the floor going, "aaaahh that's the spot!" My neck and shoulder are jacked up, probably from climbing and not stretching.

My current goals then are to go to two yoga classes a week, keep up the climbing, walk a couple-few miles at least three times a week, and cut it out with the effing sugar in my coffee. I have about a two day supply left and I intend not to replace it. I may also buy a scale, or find one at the rec center I can use.

I'd also like to include Manpants in some activity - he's been having a lot of back pain and started going to a chiropractor though, so I don't know how likely that will be.

Norajane718 is offline Member
    First of all, congratulations on your marriage!

It sounds like you get a lot of great physical activity in some fun ways. The rock climbing sounds pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

I bought more sugar for coffee. However, I also bought a scale and it's actually really helping - it gives me a tangible goal and a way of marking progress other than "how do my jeans fit me today?" So far I seem to have lost five pounds. That probably sounds like a lot but I got food poisoning last weekend, so that served as a "cleanse" of sorts. And then feeling queasy at the thought of food for a couple days after sort of cemented new, healthier eating habits. With the exception of sugar still being in my coffee...

I also ran ten sets of sprints last Wednesday, and I'll do the same this week. I think doing a solid set of sprints once a week is a more attainable goal for me than trying to go to the rec center 3 days a week. I hate it there. Everyone is wearing yoga underpants and flirting and it's just plain gross. As it stays lighter longer I'd like to go to Tumamoc hill and do hill sprints maybe one evening a week too. I haven't been to yoga yet but my yoga pants disintegrated and I just now got a new pair, so I'm hoping to make it tomorrow evening.

I'm climbing with a new potential partner tonight, which could increase my gym visits to three a week, plus one more if I feel like auto-belaying. I can climb 5.9's pretty solidly at this point - maybe fall once or twice the first time but good after that.

I've also been using the little mini-tread thing my sister gave me - I love it because I can do it while watching tv, and it's a more intense leg workout that my usual walks.

Food: lots of yogurt to repopulate my gut, lots of fresh and frozen veggies, limited meat because of the food poisoning and being scared... I'm in a good place right now though - once I start to make progress nothing can stop me or get in my way. It's just when I'm feeling fat or bloated that I think, "well, I'm already feeling gross so this ____ wont' really hurt me." I even started making smaller batches of popcorn, so we each get a small bowl instead of a massive serving bowl full that I end up eating the bulk of!

I bought my first size extra small pants in about two years and they fit perfectly. It's rapidly turning into shorts weather so getting into shape is more natural right now too. I bought a foam roller and hopefully that will help with pain and possibly cellulite.

Quote Originally Posted by Norajane718 View Post
    First of all, congratulations on your marriage!

It sounds like you get a lot of great physical activity in some fun ways. The rock climbing sounds pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Thanks! rock climbing seems to be a great workout so far - lots of arm and shoulder work but a surprising bit of sweat and out-of-breath-ness too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    According to my scale I'm waffling between 131 and 136 pounds. My intuition/body feel tells me I still have about five pounds of "extra" flab to go. I may feel fit in my yoga pants, but who doesn't? That's why everyone wears them, all the time. I need to stop wearing them when I eat. They make me overeat, seriously. I normally wear low-rider jeans when we eat out - if I am conscious of a mini-muffin top going on, I'll make better food choices in a restaurant. If I'm in yoga pants, I'm like, "holy shit I'm skinny and fit - I want an effing milkshake!" Bad.

Manpants watches videos about hotsauce on Youtube - literally videos of people eating super hot peppers or hot sauces. One of the videos he watched yesterday was a guy who was talking about fat being good for you (he was drinking sipping cups of chile oil), and talking about "Good Calories Bad Calories" and "Wheat Belly." I was happy to see Manpants watching that video. Then he went to the grocery store and came home with Golden Grahams and lowfat milk. Oh well.

He did agree to eat soup and a veg for dinner most nights, which should help a lot. I got us both some good lunch materials. Usually I subsist on almonds and some dried cranberries until about five or six p.m., and then - of course - go nuts at supper. Hopefully actually feeding myself during the day and eating a light supper will get me over the last hump here

I've got some "hey Alice" arms going on, and my butt is still a little extra....big. Those are the two spots that indicate I have to do something. And since it's kind of officially in the 80s here now - there's more exposure. Literally - everyone was wearing yoga underpants on Friday. And almost every single girl had cellulite. Even some of the scrawny ones. Was it such a big deal in the eighties? I see it on women in movies made today, but I can't really think of an 80s movie where it's visible. I don't know, it's weird.

Anyway, still climbing. I wore yoga pants to the gym and caught a girl staring at my ass like, "dude you need a harness FOR that ass!" I kind of do, it's out of control. And the climbing harness doesn't help. The leg parts connect just under my butt and kind of squeeze at the bottom, and squeeze at the top, and my butt responds pretty much like a fluid - it just bubbles out between the waist and leg components. Good times.

I need to make myself a lunch now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast