Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Thoughtd on this article about Sugar page 33

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Gluconeogenesis exists because glucose is so extremely essential, your body can't survive without it. It is so essential, your body will eat its own organs, bones and connective tissue to get it. Gluconeogenesis is evidence of how crucially important it is so consume carbohydrate, not evidence that it is unnecessary.

Furthermore, the hormone that primarily drives gluconeogenesis is cortisol. Low carbohydrate diets by nature are high cortisol diets. That's how I don't understand how people can defend low carbohydrate diets as healthy. They are not. They are fundamentally a high-stress diet akin to a diabetic's metabolism. Low carbohydrate diets at best are medicinal and should be used at your own risk, not promoted for health and well-being.
    Oh come on this is ridiculous! You are over blowing the whole gluconeogenesis thing. The amount of essential glucose is so small it can easily be supplied on a low carb diet. Ketosis has repeatedly been shown to be muscle sparing and cortisol is only a worry if you are hypoglycemic. I have had my hormones tested as I am in treatment for Endometriosis. My cortisol is just fine. The human body can run on fat or carbs just fine. Or a mix of both.

Jimm is offline Member
    Also Auto-proteolysis only continues until ketone levels get to a certain concentration (different for each of us) and then it stops until the fat reserves are depleted. That's why it's called Fuel Sparing.

Willsellout is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Furthermore, the hormone that primarily drives gluconeogenesis is cortisol. Low carbohydrate diets by nature are high cortisol diets. That's how I don't understand how people can defend low carbohydrate diets as healthy. They are not. They are fundamentally a high-stress diet akin to a diabetic's metabolism. Low carbohydrate diets at best are medicinal and should be used at your own risk, not promoted for health and well-being.
    I've had my blood tested at regular intervals (every 3 months) for the past year in order to get an idea of my overall health while on a primal style of eating, which for me is a fairly low carb diet (about 100 grams a day). I eat very little sugar. According to my Doctor as well as my endocrinologist, my most recent blood results were normal and my cortisol levels were normal. My cholesterol levels were "optimal". I think people defend a lower carb diet because it works for them. There appears to be no black and white when it comes to nutrition.

Cookie` Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You, Cookie, are the stereotypical angry low carber. You said in another forum that you "work hard not to yoyo in your diet" so obviously you use low carb as a crutch to avoid your real problem. Binging. A cery typical side effect, especially with old women who low carb is they compulsively binge on sugar and yoyo around in weight. Maybe you should give up the facade of a healthy "48 year young" lady and just accept that you are old, unhealthy (insulin resistent, "celiac" yea right, more like tanked metabolism) and unhappy.
    Oh about the celiac disease that has nothing to do with healthy low carb living although I'm closer to moderate CHO intake. Five minutes of education would have made you not make such an uneducated comment. And I'm not insulin resistant nor ever was. No tanked metabolism either.

Unhappy nope not at all.

But I suspect you are. And since you have no real knowledge this is what you need to resort to.

Oh and you couldn't be more right in saying I "couldnt of got someone like me in your prime" but that is because I go for class and substance.

Jimm is offline Member
    I'm sure my cortisol levels are through the roof. Prolly has more to do with my inner Woody Allen than the muffin I skipped.

Cookie` Guest
    And back when I was diagnosed with celiac disease in early 2001 I didn't know what a CHO was much less do any sort of diet.

And I was in good shape relative to a proper military standard and bikini ready.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-18-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Admin is offline Administrator

Forum Conduct

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This thread is currently closed, pending review for inappropriate forum conduct. In the meantime please review the the following forum rules:

In a nut shell:
    Be nice, be civil, and don't call people names

The long of it:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or inappropriate language. The Mark's Daily Apple Forum is not a platform for public attacks, mudslinging and provocation. Should a disagreement arise, matters should be handled in private via either pm or email exchange. The Mark's Daily Apple Forum also features an "Ignore" option if you prefer to disengage with another user completely.

If you break these rules you could receive an infraction or be banned from the forum. Our decision is final in these matters.

The Mark's Daily Apple team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards and posts discussing moderator actions are also not allowed. (All matters are worked out with members privately.)

We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums are a privilege and not a right.

If you feel provoked by another member and/or feel that a post/thread is questionable, please flag it (using the triangle with the exclamation) and we will look into it and address it as appropriate. As it is difficult to monitor every comment made every day, it is the responsibility of all of our members to keep this forum a positive resource.

Thanks for your understanding,

Admin

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233