Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughtd on this article about Sugar page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
    What's wrong with Lustig?
    He is Lustig! "Lustig" is translated to "funny" in German...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    He's overly sensational with his claims and the research he cites uses absurdly high amounts of pure fructose, which is completely irrelevant to human consumption.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Cookie` Guest
    Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie` View Post
    Nothing.
    Wrong answer.

Cookie` Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Wrong answer.
    We are all entitled to our opinion. And I certainly take his advise over the Peat nonsense being spewed on a Primal forum.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I love how everyone bashing Lustig's references wouldn't know a credible study if it bit them in the ass. They're just parroting the internet pseudo-science that strokes their confirmation bias. There is no evidence that copious amounts of sugar is health promoting and plenty that it's harmful.

With sugar the dose makes the poison. Particularly with fructose which has to be processed by the liver. Choose your dose. For me I choose to get my sugar from a serving or two of fruit most days a week. More fruit that that would take up the space for veggies which tend to be more nutritionally dense. In the occasional dessert or baked good I'd rather use xylitol, erythritol, and stevia. I don't care how non-paleo they are. They are fine, found in nature, and don't give my blood sugar the highs and lows of paleo approved stuff like honey and maple syrup. I do use small amounts of local raw honey when the taste is worth it like in dressings, marinades, etc.

We are all entitled to our opinion.
    Yes, but my statement that Lustig is not a credible source is a fact at this point.

And I certainly take his advise over the Peat nonsense being spewed on a Primal forum.
    Outstanding. Whatever works for you, stick with it. However, "spewing" Lustig's nonsense, which is a fear-based and alarmist approach, is not helping anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    With sugar the dose makes the poison.
    Correct. And this is something that Lustig consistently ignores, especially when he cites studies using 25% of total daily energy requirements from pure fructose.

marc is offline Member
    Oh dear...
    Did some of you actually read the article?

He's referencing Sucrose!
    White Sugar! Bleached Cane Sugar etc etc etc.

No offence, but if you've just made any reference to Fruit, your a fool.

Did the Fizzy Cans of Pop not say anything?

Cookie` Guest
    Since you are an expert Jakejoh10 in why sugar is healthy would you post some meta analysis studies that I can read.

Learn More
    Since you are an expert Jakejoh10 in why sugar is healthy would you post some meta analysis studies that I can read.
    Wow, two strawmen in one post. First of all, I never claimed I was an expert, and nowhere did I say sugar is "healthy" (whatever that means to you). What do you mean by sugar? Fructose? Sucrose? Lactose? Glucose? High Fructose Corn Syrup? I suggest you read the article I posted earlier by Stephan Guyenet, as it does a great job explaining my position on sugar at this point.

I'll also go ahead and point out that the topic of this thread is an article claiming that sugar is evil. The burden of proof is on those who claim sugar is 'evil' or 'toxic' or 'deadly'. I'm not saying anyone should be guzzling table sugar, although there are quite a few people on this forum who eat tons of sugar (table sugar, fruit sugar) daily and are very lean (myself included).

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast