Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughtd on this article about Sugar page 24

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You did all those things before eliminating refined sugar? Not sure what you're saying, because it essentially sounds like you're agreeing with me.

There is no correlation that a specific type of sugar is detrimental to the health of teeth when you look at specific context. Aside from the brief stint I had on VLC, I've always had a pretty solid thyroid health, so, consequently my PTH was low during checkups too. So, even though I drank liberal amounts of soda and ate junk food growing up, I have never had a single cavity in my entire life. I also drank tons of milk, and ate a lot of cheese with food.

I still don't have any cavities, and I've been eating tons of white sugar for a year. My teeth were at their worse, as far as sensitivity goes, as was my breath, on VLC, where my PTH shot up to make up for the diet.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I'm late for this party but I stopped reading here:

Mr Van der Velpen cites research claiming that sugar, unlike fat or other foods, interferes with the body's appetite creating an insatiable desire to carry on eating, an effect he accuses the food industry of using to increase consumption of their products.
    "Sugar upsets that mechanism. Whoever uses sugar wants more and more, even when they are no longer hungry. Give someone eggs and he'll stop eating at any given time. Give him cookies and he eats on even though his stomach is painful," he argued.
    Top lol.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Admirable integrity is part of being Canadian.

You should not have any guilt or judgement Leida when making food choices. This will come in time.
    Actually, that's the way I used to be, before I discovered Primal and LC that postulated that sugar is the devil, that a desire to eat fruit with every meal is sign of an addiction, that legumes are bad, and nuts are good, and that eating more than 150 g carbs a day will lead to being fat, but eating 70+% of daily calories from fat is the way of having a perfect body and perfect health. I tried it, and I believe that non of it is true. I keep asking myself a question if this site is only for those for whom Primal works, or those for whom it doesn't have the ability to discuss why, and make the changes, be it towards classic paleo, whole foods, Peat, Atkins, etc. I believe the coming together with a goal of researching health and finding answers is more important than fighting over the One True Way. If I believe that an idea is worth trying, I will try it. If I believe that it is not for me, I will leave it be. Something works for everyone. I know a middle-aged female cake-tarian who has little appetite and is amazingly fit. I know women for whom extreme VLC makes wonders and who do not care for a bite of an apple.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-18-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, that's the way I used to be, before I discovered Primal and LC that postulated that sugar is the devil, that a desire to eat fruit with every meal is sign of an addiction, that legumes are bad, and nuts are good, and that eating more than 150 g carbs a day will lead to being fat, but eating 70+% of daily calories from fat is the way of having a perfect body and perfect health. I tried it, and I believe that non of it is true.
    I've never read anything that Mark wrote that said much of that. Here: Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple he shows 55% calories from fat. He eats a big salad with tomatoes which aren't a very low carb food.

Maybe I missed where Mark wrote that eating three pieces of fruit per day was indicative of addiction to fruit.

Now flip to the forum, and yeah, you're going to have a whole bunch of people of the "a little is good, more is better" mentality that probably take just about everything they do to extremes and then blame the plan. It's like reading, "lift twice a week," and from that extrapolating that if twice is good, every day is better, then blaming weight lifting/resistance work when one gets hurt.

So, in my mind, people blame Primal, when they should be blaming themselves for not really trying Primal, but following a bunch of opinions on a forum. Who knows, Peat, Atkins, whatever, might be the same way. Unless we read the plans as written, we're just getting second hand information, then blaming the originators when things don't gel.

Eat lots of plants, animals, and bugs. Move, lift, get sun, play, think, avoid poison, etc. That doesn't sound a prescription for an unhealthy life.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    Grey's name was common knowledge on another forum she had no idea Grey didn't want it known here.
    It doesn't matter to me, Angel. That's not what this is about and you know it.

Dragging YB's post from another thread here, and then insulting someone else because of their appearance is just mean and immature. It's petty and pathetic, actually. Sorry, a 49 year old woman should know better.
    Last edited by Graycat; 09-18-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Well, do you see a single fruit in his menu? There is the mention of 'occasional' blueberries after supper. And in his descriptions, he often refers to eating a 'handful' of berries (~ 1/2 to 1 cup depending on your palm size) and not every day. Any of his posts on fruit will warn you against eating fruit. The carb curb postulates that 50-100 g carbs to lose weight, with one fruit being ~30 g carbs.... it takes 3 to take you into the gaining zone if you also eat any veggies or liver.... There is also not a single starch in his menu.... (Though, interestingly, there is sugar)

If I try Mark's menu you posted, I will be hungry and miserably sick, a 'zone of misery' and need to rise fat from 50-60% higher, to 70%+ to break past the carb flu....

Eat lots of plants, animals, and bugs. Move, lift, get sun, play, think, avoid poison, etc. That doesn't sound a prescription for an unhealthy life.
    Oh, yes, that's what I thought it was about, till it runs against the carb curve and a far too long list of poisons, many of which are actually foods that make me well.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-18-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Cookie` Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    It doesn't matter to me, Angel. That's not what this is about and you know it.

Dragging YB's post from another thread here, and then insulting someone else because of their appearance is just mean. It's petty and pathetic, actually. Sorry, a 49 year old woman should know better.
    I wasn't looking to engage with you but since you brought me up I will respond.

That's 48 years young Rosie.

And you blame Atkins, low carb and VLC for your issues when you really should be looking at the eating disorder issue. Chronic under eating, orthorexia etc...

If someone is going sling it I'll sling it back which is why I singled out j3nn's image. And I'm sure making cookies with Betty Crocker's gluten free chocolate chip mix and nutella don't help with weight loss. The bleeding gums wasn't a personal attack it fit with the conversation within thread.

Yes and I will hit below the belt. All's fair in love and war.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-18-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Cookie` Guest
    A great post here back from 2011

In Fear of Food

I left CW for PB relieved that I never had to eat dry toast without butter or the sawdust known as a boneless skinless chicken breast again. Butter, bacon and red meat were back on the list. Of course from that I learned to fear grains and legumes and heating olive oil beyond room temperature.

But, I've been reading the forums and so now I know that I have to fear:
    fruit and tubers (because I have to keep my carbs below 20)
    nightshades (I'm a little unclear as to why but I may or may not have an autoimmune disease)
    eggs (depression)
    nuts (they are poisonous I tell you, POISONOUS)
    dairy (oh bye bye butter)
    coffee
    salt
    bacon (wait...I just got you back!)
    eating in a window larger than 4 hours a day (I did read on the forum that EVERYONE should limit their eating to a 4-6 hour window)

So I settled down to my big ass salad (minus the carrots, peppers, tomatoes and flavor) with a 3 lb steak on top and continued to read.

Oh shit, avocados are too high in omega 6 so despite the fact that coconut oil makes me sick, I tried to pour coconut oil on my big ass salad. It formed an interesting waxy coating and made me feel like I was eating suntan lotion, but all in the name of health.

But then I started considering my meat. I mean whole foods SAID it was grass fed, but how do I know? I didnt see the cow's home. I decided I was best off learning to hunt.

After some trial and error and brushes with the licensing laws of various type of hunting implements I settled down to my salad with venison and suntan lotion

And then I thought. I had to turn down my place in the CSA run by my best friend because now the only veggies I could eat were lettuce, spinach, zucchini and cucumbers - everything else was either a nightshade, a grain, a legume or a tuber or a high carb winter squash. But while hanging out on her farm I heard her talk about her deer problems. See, the wild deer were wandering on to the farms and eating produce. And perhaps not just veggies. Wheat, oats and corn were being damaged as well. Maybe by deer.

Oh shit....what if the deer I shot had wandered into a field somewhere and eaten some wheat? One mouthful of wheat would render the omega3: omega6 balance useless! Best to stick with fish on my salad. BUT who knows what the HELL is in that store bought so called wild fish. Probably just farm raised toxic omega 3 free fish.

So I bought a boat and some fishing gear (boy they werent kidding when they said PB was expensive) I caught some tuna but had to throw it back because of the mercury. And the toxic waste in the Columbia river made me leary of the salmon and trout I caught. Sardines. Sardines are tiny little fish so they dont have much time to absorb toxins. But by then I was told it was the wrong season to fish for sardines myself. And the fact that I was out of vacation time to travel to the ocean. So I set out to buy some canned sardines.

But then I read about BPA lining in canned foods and decided that wasnt safe. Who needs all those estrogen precursors.

So...in true grok fashion I decided the only truly safe form of protein were the insects. Harder to catch in suburbia than you might think. At least I have my many hours of low level exercise down. (which was a relief because 2 weeks ago on one of my runs my HR slipped up to 76% and I have been afraid to run ever since)

But then I realized the grubs were mostly feeding on grass roots and other pesticide laden things in suburbia.

Damn.

So as I sit down to my lettuce, zucchini, cucumber and suntan lotion salad, I now under stand why some folks find it easy to eat only once a day. My hair is falling out but that's ok because then I wont need shampoo.

yes, which shows that a fear of food is counterproductive, including the fear of sugar. Normal relationship with food is a non-antagonizing and instinctive relationship. Yes?

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    As one of the resident fence sitters (I'm not in either carb camp) of MDA welcome aboard angel and cookie. I hope you guys stick around. I probably won't agree with all that you's say but who gives a shit right?

It's pleasing to see some of the high carb stalwarts copping a bit of what they dish out and don't they squirm when they do.

As a fence sitter I often engage peeps of both camps in friendly banter and questioning. From the low carb camp I usually get "thankyou's" and "worth considering". From the high carb camp I usually get "LC carb troll, eff off" even tho I eat more carbs than most of them half the time.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast