Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughtd on this article about Sugar page 2

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    That is a rhetorical question because anyone who posts the Lustig video is incapable of thinking for themselves.
    Lol, yeah that does seem to be the case.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Cookie` Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Anyone who posts Lustig's video as proof of the dangers of sugar immediately loses all credibility. Have you taken the time to look at the research Lustig cites or do you just take his word for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    That is a rhetorical question because anyone who posts the Lustig video is incapable of thinking for themselves.
    Lol, yeah that does seem to be the case.
    How childish.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-17-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I love this article that examines the trend to liken Food Villain X to a DRUG!!!!

Why Do We Ever Stop Eating? Taste, Reward, and Hyperpalatability (Why Are We Hungry? Part VII) - GNOLLS.ORG
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie` View Post
    How childish.
    Well you could prove us wrong and cite some relevant research and prove that you've actually looked at the research Lustig cites (most of which is absolutely terrible, by the way).

onadraw is offline Member
    Thanks, looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Beginning: 7/23/13, 5'5" 221lbs * Current Weight: 10/31/13, 202lbs * Goal 165lbs

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    That article immediately loses any credibility simply because the very first thing shown on the page are the soda cans. What exactly is in them?
    That's just deliberately misleading nonsense.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with Lustig?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Sugar lights up the same receptors in your brain as cocaine and etc.

But I don't thinks it necessarily says anything about how bad/good sugar or cocaine is just b/c they both light up the reward/euphoria receptors. So what? Coffee, "love", sex, chocolate, and exercise all light up certain reward/happiness receptors in the brain. Drugs are "bad" because they have other long term effects AND they are addicting. No reason to extrapolate a very narrow phenomenon and jump to conclusions.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I love this article that examines the trend to liken Food Villain X to a DRUG!!!!

Why Do We Ever Stop Eating? Taste, Reward, and Hyperpalatability (Why Are We Hungry? Part VII) - GNOLLS.ORG
    Thats an excellent series.

Important conclusion for those too lazy to read the whole thing:

"Conclusion: in order to keep incentive salience (“wanting”) under control, make sure that hedonic impact (“liking”) is always accompanied by nutrition. Eat delicious but nutritionally dense foods, containing complete protein, healthy fats, and ample nutrients. Otherwise you’re eating food with no brakes."

The only thing I completely agree with in OP's article is that pop machines and even sports drinks should be taken out of our schools... along with the candy vending machines. There is no reason to have that crap available to students while they are there for education purposes.

I think Attia's article on sugar and toxic load is pretty good to clear up the other issue surrounding sugar.... I.e. is it toxic:

Is sugar toxic? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-17-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast