Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughtd on this article about Sugar page 10

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I have no problem with you or anyone posting here. I don't understand why you would address me by my first name, and consider it to be harassment.
    I could post anywhere I wish to about any subject I deem interesting to me.

Now if we please allow the wonderful posters of mda to go back to the regularly scheduled program and you stop the drama. I won't engage with you any longer and I think you went way out of line. I have to say I'm not surprised however.

I apologize, everyone.
    Don't worry, Graycat. This person already established troll status here. They will only receive a warm reception from other LC propagandists. <3
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Don't worry, Graycat. This person already established troll status here. They will only receive a warm reception from other LC propagandists. <3
    So sad that there really arent many left. I love that the sugar haters are now considered trolls. Ahh we have come so far.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Here's a review on sugar and bodyweight regulation: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/62/1/264S.long
    This is just a calories in = calories out piece. Nothing ground breaking on the health benefits of sugar, no addressing the fact that calorie math is wrong, no taking into account the metabolic issues of a high sugar vs high fat diet. Weaksauce, in other words.

What's interesting is that the article mentions the established correlation between rats fed high sugar and overeating but claims no such evidence exists in humans. That is wrong. Studies show that fructose in particular can induce hunger and overeating in humans. They're done using brain scans. I will find the studies and post them for you.

I do agree that when isolating or purifying sugars down to their individual components, glucose, fructose, etc it is a different ball game but "sugar", in real life context, is glucose and fructose. Real life consumption of sugar, whether cane, beet, or HFCS includes both. Nobody is eating isolated glucose (unless you're getting an IV or something) and most people now know that isolated fructose is terrible for you. I don't even think diabetics use that anymore do they?

Weight loss and metabolic parameters improved in moderate fructose group: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5g3...VHbG9RNHc/edit
    this link isn't working for me

High sucrose diet still led to metabolic improvements and weight loss: Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss.
    Did you actually read this article?
    Another potential problem with low-fat, high-sucrose diets is
    that high intakes of carbohydrate, especially sucrose, are pur-ported to lead to metabolic derangements, particularly with
    regard to lipids. A high carbohydrate intake has been shown to result in elevated plasma triacylglycerol concentrations in some
    individuals (15, 16) and to exacerbate hyperglycemia and hy-perinsulinemia in patients with NIDDM (15). In rodent species, sucrose or fructose feeding causes an increase in plasma triac-ylglycerol concentrations (10), and sucrose feeding has been
    shown to impair insulin action in comparison with starch feeding in rats (17). In humans, sucrose has been shown to decrease plasma concentrations of high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in normal young men (1 8) and to increase
    fasting tnacylglycerol concentrations in NIDDM patients with hypertriglycendemia (19). Fructose has been shown to increase plasma concentrations of triacylglycerol and cholesterol (20, 21). Other studies, however, suggest that increased dietary carbohydrate leads to elevated triacyiglycerol concentrations, hyperinsulinemia, and hyperglycemia only when fat and en- ergy contents are not reduced ( 1 3, 22). These conflicting reports indicate that the metabolic result of long-term con-sumption of high amounts of sucrose (or indeed complex carbohydrate) on weight loss is not known.
    All you can conclude from this study is that a controlled (key word!) low calorie low fat diet will make fat women lose weight. A six week diet that showed no health benefits or problems from a low fat but high sucrose vs low sucrose diet is shaky ground to be claiming sugar is a healthy thing, don't you think? And did you read the sample menus? Gross! Even six weeks of that crap food isn't long enough to show serious health problems.

Good review of fructose by researcher James Krieger: Should You Be Afraid of Fructose? » Weightology
    Claiming that exercise increases your tolerance to all carbohydrates via glycogen storage is a far cry from claiming sugar is a necessary health food and people should be eating a lot of it. Exercise can cancel out a lot of immediate harmful effects from a poor diet. It's a great reason to work out but less than compelling one to eat tons of sugar. There is a difference.

I don't have time to read the rest of your posts right now but I will. I appreciate you taking time to post full texts instead of slapping an abstract in a post and hoping the big works and scientific jargon intimidate your opponent into giving up. I remain unimpressed as to the health benefits of going out of ones way to include lots of sugar in your diet. "Lots" meaning purified sugar more than you would be exposed to in moderate amounts of fruits and vegetables.

I will check the rest of your links later to see if they change my mind.

Willsellout is offline Junior Member

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie` View Post

I am surprised by your pouncing as you said you don't like confrontation on your other diet forum.
    Just one last thing. I came back to my old diet forum, which I had not visited in months because I found out that you had talked about me behind my back, and wanted to defend myself.
    I'm a busy, professional woman and don't have the time to deal with petty stuff like this. I tried to be exceptionally nice to you still, and to conduct myself in a very polite manner, as always, but obviously you decided to make a fool out of yourself in public.

Goodbye.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Thanks jenn <3

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    So sad that there really arent many left. I love that the sugar haters are now considered trolls. Ahh we have come so far.
    I know, there's like 4 or 5? lol It's really about sorting out factoids and defusing propaganda. They helped correct the saturated fat myth, but now it's time to correct the wrongs in regard to sugar/fructose/fruit/etc. It's intellectually dishonest to hold any macronutrient in contempt.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Cookie` Guest
    Sorry for my concern. It was time wasted.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Which is exactly why this forum has gone to shit. I may not post a lot but I read it everyday and the last year or so it has gone downhill. It's not even a Primal Blueprint forum but has been taken over by loudmouth sugar lovers. Being loud, obnoxious, and posting a lot doesn't make you more right. This is probably just a phase though. Hopefully this forum can once again be a place for good advice and information. I know at one time it helped me tremendously.

Cookie` Guest
    I eat 2-3 fruits a day. It adds value to my diet from a micronutrient/antioxidant etc perspective.

But you're kidding yourself on sugar adding any nutritional or health benefit.

Doesn't matter to my health with what you eat or don't eat.

Cookie` Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    Which is exactly why this forum has gone to shit. I may not post a lot but I read it everyday and the last year or so it has gone downhill. It's not even a Primal Blueprint forum but has been taken over by loudmouth sugar lovers. Being loud, obnoxious, and posting a lot doesn't make you more right. This is probably just a phase though. Hopefully this forum can once again be a place for good advice and information. I know at one time it helped me tremendously.
    Exactly Angel. Prior to my recent sign up I was a regular reader and have been for a good few years or so.

The Primal forum will clean itself up in time.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast