Thread: Can't tolerate non vegetarian. Help!!! page

kanwar is offline Junior Member

Can't tolerate non vegetarian. Help!!!

Shop Now
    I'm 19. I suffered from extreme brain fog for about five years until I made a discovery about 6 months back. I found everyday a struggle and everything so hard I wondered how everyone else did it. When I got ill 6 months back and recovered (in 3-4 days) I felt sudden bouts of energy and consciousness most of the time. I felt more alert and productive. I don't wake up with a headache feeling worse than when I went to sleep. I was after a great while 'alive'. A sad and crushing feeling that always persisted ( i didnt know it was depression) had changed into happy. This continued for 2-3 days and then I was back to pathetic. But now I knew. I could've spent rest of my life unaware of this but now I knew. I thought it was excess sleep during the sick time that made me normal. I started sleeping 14 hours a day but it didn't help. I took my sinusitis to a doctor and he gave me meds. The constant outpouring of my nose stopped but head felt heavy. I thought a constricted nasal passage was the problem which made my quality of sleep poor and now everything will get allright but nothing happened.
    Then in despair It struck me. I had eaten only rice during my sick time, maybe it's gluten allergy. Left gluten and after a whole day woke up at 6 sharp, feeling pumped up, light and happy. I was elated I had found the cause but it started getting worse after a few days. Other grains like barley made me feel bad instantly. Only rice seemed to be tolerable and I slept good and was better but not 100 percent. Stopped rice to after reading about the candida theory.
    Now my problem is, most diets like candida gaps etc. give non veg alternative to grains. But whenever I eat chicken mutton or fish I feel pathetic and suffer nightmares the following night. My diet for a day consists of eggs in the morning and vegetables and coconut the remaining day. I feel weak but allright mentally but I fear if I become intolerant to eggs after eating them everyday, I'll starve. Why is meat causing such a reaction to me.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Have you seen a doctor aside from treatment for the sinusitus?

How is your digestion?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Haven't seen any doctor apart from that. I used to have no problem digesting and bowels were smooth every morning. This made me doubt gluten allergy and candida and why I tried so late.
    However I did feel something acidic in stomach every morning and its still there albeit lesser. I used to be totally okay with diary meat etc before cleanse (except nothing was actually okay).

After cleanse I still feel okay digestion wise but not ok psychologically.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Can you describe this acidic feeling more? Are you talking about heartburn? If you don't feel good eating that much protein, you probably have low stomach acid. Digestive enzymes and/or Betaine HCL could help with that.

When you say "cleanse" did you do a particular diet or are you referring to the illness you had?

But I would suggest seeing a doctor to see if they can test your enzyme & stomach acidity levels.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kanwar View Post
    ... I thought it was excess sleep during the sick time that made me normal. I started sleeping 14 hours a day but it didn't help.
    Ah, you meant "plenty of sleep". I say that because "excess" would mean "too much".

Yes, enough (which means more than most people get in the modern world) seems to be good. Something like 8 to 10 -- more in the winter months, less in the summer -- seems to be normal. Most of us don't get that. It seems also to be important to have the room you sleep in sufficiently dark.

Then in despair It struck me. I had eaten only rice during my sick time, maybe it's gluten allergy.
    I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. It's possible, but you could only get a high level of assurance either by tests (supposing you trust the competence of the laboratory) or by a rigorous elimination/challenge diet.

I was elated I had found the cause but it started getting worse after a few days.

my emphasis
    So maybe you hadn't.

Stopped rice to[o] after reading about the candida theory.
    I think there's a lot of "theory" going on here, and I don't know it's doing much other than cause you anxiety.

But whenever I eat chicken mutton or fish I feel pathetic and suffer nightmares the following night. My diet for a day consists of eggs in the morning and vegetables and coconut the remaining day.
    But "feel pathetic" is difficult to get a handle on. What would it mean? And would it necessarily be down to what you'd eaten? (It might be.) As for nightmares -- again we're on shaky ground.

I think you've got a lot of anxiety going on. Kanwar's a Hindu name, isn't it? So I suppose you're coming from a culture that tends towards vegetarianism and has anxieties around meat-eating. If you layer on top of that anxieties about "grains" and pulses taken from the "paleo" world ... well, what's left to eat?

And then you also mention worries connected with the GAPS Diet and Candida diets.

I feel weak but allright mentally but I fear if I become intolerant to eggs after eating them everyday, I'll starve.
    Again, you've got a lot of anxiety going on. Now you're worried about becoming intolerant to eggs. No one should feel like this at nineteen.

There was a wise woman in my culture -- I'm in England -- who once said:

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”
    Quote by Julian of Norwich: All shall be well, and all shall be well and al...

There are people for sure in yours who've said equally calming and consoling things.

Why is meat causing such a reaction to me.
    The dreams, you mean? Well, is it causing the dreams? Or is it coincidence? Or is it your anxieties about meat-eating coming out in your dreams? Or might it be that it's your ability to remember what you dreamt that's relevant? Or perhaps something else I didn't think of.

Some kind of allergy to one (or more) types of meat or fish is fairly unlikely. i'd think the "brain fog" you mention could certainly have links with your eating insufficient protein and/or not getting enough of some micronutrients. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting stuff out, though by all means avoid the barley if it seems problematic. I would make sure to eat some first-class protein with every meal: eggs, meat, fish. Seafood, including crustaceans and other shellfish, is particularly good for supplying the particular nutrients the brain needs.

I would also stop looking at diet books, websites, etc. for awhile. I'd suggest reading books, or watching videos, you'd particularly enjoy instead. Maybe something humorous? You're getting out and getting some exercise I hope. You could also try "dropping" anxious thoughts as they arise, not combatting them, just letting them go.

Best I can do. I've probably got to an age now when I'm in danger of telling someone your age what they already know. But I meant well. Best of luck.

Zach is offline Banned
    Go high carb. fruits, potatoes, rice can make up the bulk of your calories. Sprinkle in animal products that you can tolerate. This greatly changed my life.