Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to take vitamin D? page

LiamT is offline Member

When to take vitamin D?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

Autumn has started to set in here in the north of Italy and I'm pretty busy so what little sun there is I don't often see. I've just bought some 1000IUD tablets of vitamin D and will be taking 4 per day as soon as they arrive.

My questions is this. Is it fine to just take all four in the morning with my breakfast? That would be the easiest option for me. Of course if they are better without food or spread out through the day that is fine too I'll just have to get into the habit of remembering. What do you think?

Cheers in advanced!

Liam

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Spread them through the day with fatty meals if they did not provide fat in the capsule. For most humans 2,000 IU/day gets you where you want to go.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

LiamT is offline Member
    Thank you loafingcactus! I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel on them over the Winter. It will be my first Winter taking them.

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    if you take them too soon after each other you'll just pee most of it out... also look to eat high magnesium foods, it will help getting it into your bloodstream...

Martini is offline Member
    1000 I.E. is the ridicioulously lol dosage that is quite common, if you have the opportunity to buy higher dosage you probably should because its kind of healthier to take just one pill instead of four if dosage is the same, if you have trouble to get higher doses try amazon import from some countrys where its available.

For most humans 2,000 IU/day gets you where you want to go.
    Thats probably true for longer timeframes like several month, however there is no need to wait that long since there is zero risk up to 10000 I.E per day even over a longer timeframe.
    4000 I.E. per day in winter seems perfectly fine to me - actually i will start doing the same soon.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I will take my Vitamin D this afternoon laying out in the backyard.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I take it with lunch during the cloudy months. VitD is more of a hormone than a vitamin--I go with the theory that all hormones carry a circadian signal so I try to approximate the missing daylight.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

natashik85 is offline Member
    I am also looking forward to receiving Vitamin D shipping from UK. In Estonia it is actually prohibited to import Vit D with dozes higher that 400 UI (Yep! only 400). So I don't know if my shipping will arrive. If not - I will have to ask my friends who'd travel to UK to smuggle couple of containers.

As to when to take it - here are directions I have read: Take one tablet daily with water and preferably after your evening meal as the repair processes in your body are greatest at night when growth hormone is secreted.

By the way - does anyone know if there is a difference between Vitamin D and D3? Because this D3 is the only thing I can find on eBay at the moment.
    Last edited by natashik85; 09-17-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94235.html
    Starting weight (1.Sep 2013): 88.1 kg
    Current weight: 84.6 kg
    Goal weight: 66 kg
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep loosing it

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    I've always believed that since vitamin D is made naturally through exposure to sunlight, daytime is the best time to take it in supplemental form. I've also heard that if taken at night it can induce insomnia. Makes sense to me, but again, that's just my thoughts.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I actually was wondering this exact thing, but more from the standpoint that Vitamin D is a hormone and some hormones are more sensitive to when you take them. For example, thyroid is generally recommended to be taken in the morning.

As far as dosage, consider having your D levels checked after a month or 6 weeks to ensure you're taking enough. I just had my D levels checked (56) and my doc has asked me to bump up my D3 supplementation to 10,000 IU five times a week.

And you probably know this but make sure you are taking D3, not D2.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast