Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real mayo? page 2

Jimm is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I make my own from a Deborah Madison recipe. It is impossible not to add garlic & turn it into Aioli.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Nothing tastes like store-bought mayo. Then again, nothing tastes like home-made mayo either.

With that being said, while I do prefer to make my own, I'm a little lazy and kitchenless, so I caved and bought Wegmans brand organic. I figure at least with organic, I'm not getting GMOs, even if it's not the best for me. Alternatives to mayo just aren't the same, though good in their own right (sour cream, for example, but it needs more fat added to it to be satisfying to me.)

My suggestion- practice making mayo. (Do not use a whole egg, only the yolk. That'll help.) If it ends up soupy, combine it with a store-bought Organic mayo to sort of "buffer the badness" I guess. Sooner or later you won't need to do that anymore and you'll be a mayo pro.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'll try handmaking again. Also, the sour cream bit sounds interesting - I think I'll snag some of that tonight.

M.

wheresanita is offline Junior Member
    Check out a blog called "Clothes Make the Girl" and her mayo recipe - she also has an instructional video and a lot of other great recipes. The Mayo is worth figuring out..it's life changing!!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Jimm is offline Member
    The trick may be in the temperature of everything combined. Also, I add my oil to the blender through a Melitta coffee funnel to ensure a slow, consistent mix.

Cookie` Guest
    I make my own with extra light tasting olive oil and or avocado oil. Easy peasy in the Vitamix.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-19-2013 at 07:46 AM.

mmack66 is offline Member
    Most of the mayo recipes I see have mustard in them. Why is that, and can you taste the mustard in the resulting mayo?

Moll is offline Member
    The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl

I think someone mentioned this recipe - I've used it and it's definitely good, but I haven't had supermarket mayo in years and years (vegan...) so I can't comment on whether it tastes the same. You can use different oil too - some people LIKE the extra virgin olive oil taste, but I've heard you can use other light oils like avocado in place of light olive oil. And I absolutely second the post that said STICK BLENDER. It's seriously worth buying one just for this, but they're super handy for pureeing soups and stuff in the pot w/out having to transfer to a food processor or blender and back. But yeah, the cuisinart one I got came with a little measuring cup that it sits in, so I just put the egg and lemon or lime juice in and let them come to room temp together, add the dry stuff, fill up the oil to about a cup, and start blending from the bottom. It literally takes 10 seconds and it's incredible to see the consistency change and billow up around the stick blender. I get excessively filled with happiness every time it happens lol.

mmack66 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience. | theclothesmakethegirl

I think someone mentioned this recipe - I've used it and it's definitely good, but I haven't had supermarket mayo in years and years (vegan...) so I can't comment on whether it tastes the same. You can use different oil too - some people LIKE the extra virgin olive oil taste, but I've heard you can use other light oils like avocado in place of light olive oil. And I absolutely second the post that said STICK BLENDER. It's seriously worth buying one just for this, but they're super handy for pureeing soups and stuff in the pot w/out having to transfer to a food processor or blender and back. But yeah, the cuisinart one I got came with a little measuring cup that it sits in, so I just put the egg and lemon or lime juice in and let them come to room temp together, add the dry stuff, fill up the oil to about a cup, and start blending from the bottom. It literally takes 10 seconds and it's incredible to see the consistency change and billow up around the stick blender. I get excessively filled with happiness every time it happens lol.
    I made my first ever homemade mayo yesterday using the recipe and method(blender) outlined in the link, and it turned out great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12