Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast foods page

Dawnbennett420 is offline Junior Member

Breakfast foods

Primal Fuel
    What is everyone eating for breakfast? Getting real tired of eggs even doing them differently or adding meat and veggies. I posted a question about making pancakes or muffins using almond flour and seemed to get a lot of no's to do that. I have three boys 9, 7 and 4. My 9 year old is slightly overweight none of the rest of us are and we are very active. So we aren't doing this to lose weight more so to be healthy. So I was just wondering if I could get suggestions for breakfast foods. Thanks

yogamomma is offline Junior Member
    I hope someone replies to this, because I was just wondering the same thing. I just went primal a week ago and I too have three kids (12, 10 and 6). I am trying to pack mostly primal-ish lunches for them, and dinners aren't too bad (usually some sort of meat and vegetable), but breakfast is HARD! No one wants eggs. Our breakfasts have always been 100% grain (waffles or cereal or bagels or toast). Two of the three love bacon, but I'm sure the bacon I have isn't very primal. Would love to hear any suggestions.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of breakfast food threads already. One recently asked on behalf of the op's mother who hates eggs.

Overview:
    - nuts
    -yogurt with fruit
    -fruit salad
    -smoothies (green or with fruit)
    -fasting until lunch (I do this with black coffee)
    -eggs cooked creatively (frittata, shashuska, poached, scrambled with cumin & ground beef & potatoes & cheddar, omelettes, egg pizza with mozzarella and red sauce on top of egg "crust", egg salad, hard boiled, etc)
    -bacon
    -primal sausages
    -leftovers
    -kefir
    -granola made with coconut chips
    -raw milk
    -pancake made with 2 eggs + 1 banana
    -sweet potato hash
    -kids can probably get away with gf rice chex with some grassfed milk
    -quinoa porridge (like oatmeal) isn't the best choice but cooked in coconut milk, add a dash of cinnamon and vanilla bean...good option for kids (quinoa is technically not a grain but a seed) and those who can handle carbs.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    -granola made with coconut chips
    I've been using a sandwich press to toast these lately; mixed with some fruit and nuts in a bowl of almond milk (or whatever other liquid you like).

I went through a stage of eating roast veggies (pumpkin etc) for a bit.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Just a bit of yoghurt with vanille... than when I arrive at work I eat either fruit or cubcumber. I really need to eat more but I'm not into the whole having meat for breakfast just yet...
    I'm going to get more creative this Saturday when I have the house and kitchen to myself and make things I can pick up quickly and eat on my way out.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Gluten free oatmeal with high quality butter, vanilla, sweetener (I use xylitol, sometimes honey) and pieces of fruits, mostly bananas and apples. That's what my kids have when they are tired of omelets and sausages. I often add one or two slices of bacon on the side.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Yogurt, berries, and walnuts; that's usually what I have.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Broth, fish, crab bakes, all nat ham and cucumber or tuna-spinach smoothies on a low carb, high protein days
    macadamia nuts on high fat days

on "screw macros' days
    quark
    purred root vegetables, pumpkin or cauliflower with a bit of coconut milk or egg white as a porridge or baked into a souffle
    sweet potato or banana, apples etc pancakes or mini-miffins

Lately, I have been having beans with egg whites and an egg for breakfast...

My kid likes organic rice or millet puffs (gluten free)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

whitty1 is offline Junior Member
    I tend to have the same things but in rotation. So one day I'll have bacon & tomatoes, next day I'll have a cocoa flaxseed muffin with berries & cream, then maybe bacon, gf sausages, cherry tomatoes - sometimes I'll have a tomato & mozzarella salad too.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Still eggs, but maybe in a way the kids will like.

Green Eggs & Ham

I like frozen greens. Not sure if it’s an Italian thing (Giada DeLaurentis uses a lot of frozen spinach) or a 1950s thing, or just a single person thing (fresh greens go bad really quickly).

Take about 5 oz by weight frozen greens (spinach, collards, mustard) and put them in a colander to drain. When they’re fully defrosted, pick up with your hand, squeeze any remaining water out, and place in blender. Pulse to get them started.

Add three eggs to blender. Blend until greens are incorporated evenly into the eggs.

Shred about 2 oz of sliced ham. Put in blender and blend for a few seconds.

You can cook this as a scrambled egg dish, but I did it in a muffin pan. Pour the mixture into the muffin pan.

Take another 2 oz of sliced ham and slice it into 6 pieces. Top “muffins” with each of the pieces of ham.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F (177C) for 30 minutes. Take out of oven and let them rest. I have a cast iron muffin tin, so they continue to cook quite a bit. If you’re using a lighter metal, or silicone, you might want to leave them in the oven for a few more minutes.

When they’ve cooled enough to handle, plate and top with some Parmesan cheese. (Optional) Other toppings: hot sauce or salsa.

If you make a bunch of these ahead of time, you can freeze them, then reheat in microwave, or if you like cold eggs you can put them in a bag and they'll be defrosted by lunch.

Also, there really isn't any reason why some foods are for breakfast and some for supper. It's all food, and anything you can eat for one meal, you can eat for another.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast